Redbelt **Spoiler**

We need an MMA movie starring Gina Carano and Kyra Gracie.

I just saw the movie. Overall, I liked it.

Anyone else who saw it want to discuss?

I'm a big Mamet fan. REDBELT was not his best movie (that would be GLEN GARRY GLEN ROSS). But I really enjoyed this movie at a visceral level--sort of the way that men love baseball and women love GONE WITH THE WIND. It had its flaws--I would have liked it if the movie had been a little longer to flesh out the double-crosses and fake-outs--but, overall, I liked it also.

Funny how fashionable it has become among some jiu jitsu people to bash the film. I don't mean "dislike". I mean I've been on some message boards where the film was completely ridiculed. That I don't get.

i keep hearing how terrible it is, but i don't care how bad it is, i am watching that shit like a kid wants to see star wars

There goes my film critic career.

Actually I do have a lot to say on it, but I didn't want to spoil it if no one else had seen it yet. Most of my comments won't really make too much sense unless other people have seen the movie too, so I just wanted to throw it out there.

The theater seemed to be mostly filled with casual BJJ/MMA fans. They apparently knew enough to say "Hey, John Machado was in this! Which guy was he again?" when they saw the credits at the end. However, I guess they didn't know enough to recognize the fact that John Machado was the fucking main evil villain in the giant final battle climax that they had just watched 5 minutes ago.

They definitely recognized Randy Couture from TUF though.

also trigg who was a coach :)

Agreed this actually was a REALLY REALLY bad movie its not even worth the time to download off the internet. I need to go see ironman

You haven't seen Iron Man yet? You need to get down to the theater sooner rather than later. That's what I did after seeing Redbelt.

I haven't seen Red Belt, but I can vouch for Ironman. Do yourself a favor and see it. And stay till after the credits.

i agree on the "go see iron man"

for me, redbelt left too much shit unresolved. it's like they ran out of money, rushed the ending, and left a whole lot unresolved. the guy gets shoveled so much shit and the end of the whole thing seems so damn anticlimactic.

everybody i saw it with agreed that if they had spent another 15-30 minutes resolving things (and put in some fucking subtitles) it would have been outstanding.

it ain't no karate kid. that's for shiz.

Thats too bad. It seemed like it might be a sleeper-hit for grappling enfusiats (sp?).

I still might see it, but I'm hoping it goes to dvd soon so I can just rent it.

BTW I'm a new member and I get the basic meaning of TMA but what does the actual acronym stand for?

Thats too bad. It seemed like it might be a sleeper-hit for grappling enfusiats (sp?).

I still might see it, but I'm hoping it goes to dvd soon so I can just rent it.

BTW I'm a new member and I get the basic meaning of TMA but what does the actual acronym stand for?

Traditional Martial Arts

I also vouch for ironman especially staying through the credits, and third the Gina Carano and Kyra Gracie mma movie.

I just got back from watching it, and the first half was better than I expected, but then it took a hetarded turn for the worst. Overall I thought it was absolutely ridiculous, and I definitely didn't like it.

PLEASE SEE IRON MAN INSTEAD, WHICH WAS FUCKING AWESOME!

i agree wholeheartedley well except for the first half, it also sucked. I disliked the story, i disliked many of the characters and there development. The ridiculous part was well i don't want to give it away but part of the story is utterly ridiculous. overall i give it a d- . Iron man way better.

That movie sucked big time. Well at least I got to see some BJJ on a movie screen.

This movie will not satisfy those who crave the action of never backed down. But for all those with artsy fartsy leanings and likes drama, Redbelt wasnt so bad.

As commented earlier, its funny to watch Machado play the Evil promoter/business man.
They should gotten aGracieto play that part.

I'll admit the movie could have used more action, perhaos watch Mike Terry do training.

Horrible movie. Waste of money and also my time. There were about 20 people in the theater and 6 walked out half way through. First 5 min were not bad. Especially when the little guy tools the brown belt. After that it was just down hill. I don't think it really did any justice to Bjj. Lol for the main guy getting red belt and a hug from the master.

I'm a big Mamet fan. REDBELT was not his best movie (that would be GLEN GARRY GLEN ROSS). But I really enjoyed this movie at a visceral level--sort of the way that men love baseball and women love GONE WITH THE WIND. It had its flaws--I would have liked it if the movie had been a little longer to flesh out the double-crosses and fake-outs--but, overall, I liked it also.

Funny how fashionable it has become among some jiu jitsu people to bash the film. I don't mean "dislike". I mean I've been on some message boards where the film was completely ridiculed. That I don't get.

I think the hate just comes from the fact that most people from BJJ who saw it weren't expecting a typical David Mamet film.

As you said, it's obviously no Glengarry Glen Ross. But the movies are similar in their overall style.

The point is not really about the plot at all. The plot is merely there to provide situations so that the characters can interact with each other. And just as in Glengarry Glen Ross and most of his other films, the entertainment comes from watching the slimeball characters lie, cheat, and con each other.

The big difference is that in Glengarry Glen Ross, everyone was a scumbag. At least in Redbelt, the main character is a good guy, while just everyone else around him is a scumbag. I thought it made for good entertainment and an interesting message.

And as usual, the dialogue was superb. The scenes with the fight promoters were excellent. Just those alone make the movie worth seeing I think.

let's discuss Balto's bad taste in movies now, lol.

Balto have you seen Never Back Down?

I didn't watch it yet, but after seeing redbelt I don't see how it could be worse.... even if it is a remake of a Billy Blanks movie ("Showdown")

let's discuss Balto's bad taste in movies now, lol.

Balto have you seen Never Back Down?

I didn't watch it yet, but after seeing redbelt I don't see how it could be worse.... even if it is a remake of a Billy Blanks movie ("Showdown")

I will never back down from my vow to never watch Never Back Down.

Back