Red state voters support progressive policies

Oh I know. It's frustrating to watch it happen in real time.

Trump: Hilary wants open borders.
Hilary: I do not want open borders.
Trump's base: Hilary wants open borders.

But the Democrats can't change the GOP approach. All they can do is find a way to combat those smears more effectively, and I think part of the way that they can achieve that is by not tip-toeing around issues as much as they do.

For example, Hilary always wanted more barriers on the border. But as soon as Trump wanted a wall, she backed away from those claims to distance herself from it. That was dumb, because she actually had the more popular view all along, which is, "Barriers in some spots, more security in others, and a more secure border." She could have made that message much more clear and fared much better.

She never had a message, she was willing to change with the wind to try and get elected.

Several also voted to expand medicaid even though their governor's promised not to when Obamacare was enacted.
I think part of that is the Republicans have completely lost any credibility on healthcare. They controlled all 3 branches of government -- the presidency, house, senate, and SCOTUS, and still couldn't come to a consensus on healthcare beyond wanting to get rid of pre-existing conditions coverage or some other bullshit. So, a lot of people that were in the middle or rightwing on this issue a few years ago are starting to realize that single payer healthcare with optional supplemental private insurance policies is the only viable course of action now.

Last edited:
She also supported e-Verify. Anyway, I obviously agree that Democrats should try to get their message out, but it's also part of the territory that the other side will try to misrepresent their positions and that many people will believe it, and the MSM will not help.

Exactly.

Democrats: "We need to make sure all Americans have access to quality, affordable healthcare and a living wage."

Trump: "There is an invading horde of criminal savages funded by George Soros ready to overwhelm our Southern Border!!!!"

MSM: "The invading horde of savages at our southern border was not funded by George Soros. And Trump was mean to call these criminals "savages." Wall- to- wall coverage of the developing caravan story-- and how Trump is mean-- from 6 to 11."

And people think the MSM is propaganda for the Democrats...

Last edited:
Oh I know. It's frustrating to watch it happen in real time.

Trump: Hilary wants open borders.
Hilary: I do not want open borders.
Trump's base: Hilary wants open borders.

But the Democrats can't change the GOP approach. All they can do is find a way to combat those smears more effectively, and I think part of the way that they can achieve that is by not tip-toeing around issues as much as they do.

For example, Hilary always wanted more barriers on the border. But as soon as Trump wanted a wall, she backed away from those claims to distance herself from it. That was dumb, because she actually had the more popular view all along, which is, "Barriers in some spots, more security in others, and a more secure border." She could have made that message much more clear and fared much better.
Open borders is a hyperbole, but Hillary wanted increased migration from the third world and more refugees.

No party want criminals smuggling drugs from Mexico.
Trump had, on paper, a tougher stance on migration that appealed to more people in the states he had to win. He had only 3 popular messages, anti-migration, pro-guns and pro-evangelicals, everything else only attracted the rich.
In my view, the winning strategy would be a combination of public healthcare and a safety net and the rejection of unskilled migration, a real America First platform, welfare for americans, not migrants.
Run black and latino candidates too, but not muslims, they're 1% of the population and the most unpopular group in the US.
Avoid the gun and evangelical topics as they are popular with some groups but deeply unpopular with others.

I 100% agree... If people really looked at what they supported... They'd realize they're actually Libertarian.
Medicaid expansion is libertarian?
Higher minimum wage is libertarian?

Paul Ryan, the Heritage Foundation, and the Koch Brothers will be most interested in these revelations.

Apparently they've been had all these years!

We do have security in this country, what do you think we have customs, border patrol, ins before, and a wall. Also add to the fact that illegal immigration was trending down since 2007, and illegals commit less crime per capita then u.s citizens.
You must know that my response to this is that our security does not work and our laws are not enforced properly. We have 100's of 1000's cross the border illegally, every year.

Republicans just use this issue and blow it out of proportion to pander to their base and rile them up. Does immigration law need to be fixed? Most definitely, but the way Republicans and fox news goes about it is just fear mongering
Or maybe more and more people are just tired of our laws not being enforced and our border being a free for all.

This situation basically proves that many conservative voters in those red states vote for identity politics over all other issues. They want the progressive policies, but only if you take the candidates out of the equation.

Take Florida for example, they voted for the ban on off-shore drilling, but they voted for the candidate who is most likely to try to figure out a way to lift that ban. They voted for restoring voting rights to felons, but they voted for the Governor who was against it.

Even when all the momentum appeared to be in his favor, I took one look at Gillum's skin color and knew that Florida wasn't going to let it happen. Some people said I was being cynical about the racially enlightened condition of white Floridians in 2018. But guess who the new governor is...

That's the crazy thing about the Republican base. They agree with many democratic policies and benefit from them. They just can't deal with homosexuals and have been brainwashed about the Dem stance on immigration. They think Dems want to destroy the country and have open boards which anyone with 1/2 a brain knows is horse shit.

That's the crazy thing about the Republican base. They agree with many democratic policies and benefit from them. They just can't deal with homosexuals and have been brainwashed about the Dem stance on immigration. They think Dems want to destroy the country and have open boards which anyone with 1/2 a brain knows is horse shit.
Give me some examples.

The rest of your post after the bolded is dumb and has much to do with why people vote the way they do.

I 100% agree... If people really looked at what they supported... They'd realize they're actually Libertarian.

Implementing orthodox, historical libertarian philosophy as policy prescriptions would produce an open borders oligarchy. Resulting in one completely unacceptable result each for those on the left and right.

She never had a message, she was willing to change with the wind to try and get elected.

Her campaign had two central themes:

1."Trump is a horrible, entirely unqualified candidate."
2. "It's my turn now. I've earned this!"

And that shit actually got her 3 million more votes than Donny. lol

Do you understand what libertarianism is? Every libertarian party vehemently opposes socialized medicine, minimum wage, and any sort of state solution to social problems. Stop this ridiculous "both parties" bullshit. Only one of those parties is malleable to turning actually progressive. The other resists because it is a fundamental nature of the party to oppose those policies.

It's absolutely flabbergasting when right wingers bitch about "the special interests" and how "all politicians are bought and paid for."

If you really care about that, then stop voting for the party of Citizens United. Start supporting candidates that don't use PAC money.

But their hands are tied. Some BLM activists interrupted Bernie at a rally and he didn't react as violently as they wanted so going GOP is the only rational solution.

Even when all the momentum appeared to be in his favor, I took one look at Gillum's skin color and knew that Florida wasn't going to let it happen. Some people said I was being cynical about the racially enlightened condition of white Floridians in 2018. But guess who the new governor is...
AdmiredFirmEstuarinecrocodile-max-1mb.gif

Give me some examples.

The rest of your post after the bolded is dumb and has much to do with why people vote the way they do.

Did you read the premise of the thread??? They just voted in several Democrat policies.

Minimum Wage
Healthcare
Workers Rights
Medical Marijuana

If you don't think that people will vote against their self interests because of gay marriage/trans rights and the created boogie man of immigration you have been living under a rock. It's the bedrock and foundation of the Republican party. That, abortion and guns (another fake boogie man). Without these things the republican party would literately be nothing. Without the fear tactics they don't have much to run on.

Don't try to feed the small government or lowering debt crap either. GOP wants government to be in people's bedrooms and just ballooned the debt to give tax cuts to the massively wealth.

Looking at ballots from red states, when it comes to propositions, most voted in favor of progressive policies.

Yes on legalizing marijuana, expanding Medicaid, increasing minimum wage, police accountability policy, independent redrawing of congressional maps, non violent felons voting rights back in conservative florida, same day voting registration, etc..

Looks like populist left ideas are the way to go, doesn't matter if it's a red state or blue state.
Notice how none of those proposals had anything to do with niche LGBT issues or any other "woke" bullshit. Democrats need to focus on stuff like this and stop constantly chasing the youth vote with stupid "woke" bullshit.
of unskilled migration, a real America First platform, welfare for americans, not migrants.
Run black and latino candidates too, but not muslims, they're 1% of the population and the most unpopular group in the US.
Avoid the gun and evangelical topics as they are popular with some groups but deeply unpopular with others.
<2>

Did you read the premise of the thread??? They just voted in several Democrat policies.

Minimum Wage
Healthcare
Workers Rights
Medical Marijuana

If you don't think that people will vote against their self interests because of gay marriage/trans rights and the created boogie man of immigration you have been living under a rock. It's the bedrock and foundation of the Republican party. That, abortion and guns (another fake boogie man). Without these things the republican party would literately be nothing. Without the fear tactics they don't have much to run on.

1.Don't try to feed the small government or lowering debt crap either. GOP wants government to be in people's bedrooms and just ballooned the debt to give tax cuts to the massively wealth.
I'm a middle class working stiff. My wife and I are both blue collar workers. I don't believe a person deserves 15 dollars to bag groceries or flip burgers. I don't believe an entry level job like that should command the same wage as say, a journeyman electrician or oil burner tech. The problem is that you're not going to see everyone else's wages rise. A lot of people take pride in being middle class. In earning it. I'm sorry, I don't think you deserve to just be granted what I had to work for, what I had to have experience to get.
2. Again, I'm all for health care for everyone. What a magical thing that would be. Unfortunately, everyone lower class person getting free health care seemed to coincide with drastic increases in my insurance policy. That forced my workplace to go for a lesser plan. I lost my paid prescriptions. I'm sorry, I'm not grateful. I have not seen a benefit.
3.I'm not 100% sure what you mean by workers rights. I am in a union. Something I have to pay for.
4. Medical marijuana is just code word for millions of people pretending they have ailments to get away with smoking weed. I live in a state where its legal anyway, so this in not an issue for me.

Honestly, seems to me like you're a little out of touch with what people really want. From my point of view, I'm basically getting nothing while watching lower class people get what I have for DOING nothing. The middle class are who swept Trump into office. Not degenerate welfare queens who can't get off their lazy ass except to refill their EBT card and oxy prescriptions.

Republicans aren't as crazy as they're made out to be. All the info we get is trash. It doesn't affect the person in the voting booth.

I think the real question is why would someone identify as a Republican? Their politicians do not support them, or the things they want from their government.

Exactly.

Democrats: "We need to make sure all Americans have access to quality, affordable healthcare and a living wage."

Trump: "There is an invading horde of criminal savages funded by George Soros ready to overwhelm our Southern Border!!!!"

MSM: "The invading horde of savages at our southern border was not funded by George Soros. And Trump was mean to call these criminals "savages." Wall- to- wall coverage of the developing caravan story-- and how Trump is mean-- from 6 to 11."

And people think the MSM is propaganda for the Democrats...
Dems- Well except for you, middle class. You get jack shit but we'll make sure unemployed and non citizens get all the same shit as you, that you have to work for.

Back