Red Sox Player Big Papi In A Controversy Over Selfie With President Obama

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
BkJjrfqIMAAU0mQ.jpg

Apparently the President may not be to happy that he may have been used to make money by a Selfie that Big Papi took of him. He has had plenty of Selfies taken of him most famously the Danish prime minister so he at the time thought it was innocent enough. But now because of a retweet by Samsung to their 5 million followers have raised questions about the President's image use. He does not so much have problems its just that it is a Korean company. He apparently would prefer it would be used to promote US based businesses. Now people around him are starting to be concerned over the use of his imagine unless it is used to raise money to help others.

EDIT:Big Papi is sponsored by Samsung.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/david-orti...ma-promoted-samsung-twitter/story?id=23148152

EDIT:past famous Obama Selfie.

obama.si.jpg

Obama looks so white.

Does anyone else think that he looks like Nixon in that pic?

I don't follow. I don't see any promotion of Samsung in that photo. What am I missing?

And play a position you fat fuck (angry Yankee fan here).

I fail to see how Samsung being proud that their smartphone camera was used to take a selfie with the President is grounds to hold the President liable to misuse of his "image". Besides, those of us who know components know that Apple is only more "American" than Samsung in name/ownership. Hell, Samsung fabricates their chipsets.

Does he have to stop and ask every individual who wants a selfie if they're using an American phone?

You like the Yankees and Heat?

Heat? Lol, no. I get it, the implication is I'm a front runner.

I grew up and still live in NY. My grandfather and father were Yankees fans before me, so I guess I was indoctrinated. In fact, growing up (I was born in 1980) the Yankees sucked. Mattingly was my favorite player and he made the playoffs once in his career (last year of his career). It still hurts that he didn't stick it out one more year and get that title, but I'm not sure Yanks win without Tino.

I'm also a pretty big Giants fan (football). I don't give a crap about the NBA but gun to head I'll root for the Knicks.

I fail to see how Samsung being proud that their smartphone camera was used to take a selfie with the President is grounds to hold the President liable to misuse of his "image". Besides, those of us who know components know that Apple is only more "American" than Samsung in name/ownership. Hell, Samsung fabricates their chipsets.

Does he have to stop and ask every individual who wants a selfie if they're using an American phone?

I agree its just now news because Big Papi getting paid and after the Academy Awards selfie that was retweeted a record 3.2 million times its become a marketing issue. None of this is two much of an issue but Samsung paid millions for the rights to the Academy Awards selfie "It went to charity". If Big Papi had donated the money to feed the homeless Obama's handlers would likely have no problem.

I agree its just now news because Big Papi getting paid and after the Academy Awards selfie that was retweeted a record 3.2 million times its become a marketing issue. None of this is two much of an issue but Samsung paid millions for the rights to the Academy Awards selfie "It went to charity". If Big Papi had donated the money to feed the homeless Obama's handlers would likely have no problem.
Wait, so how are their monetizing these selfies?

I think they use them on ads promoting their products, specifically the cameras on their phones?

I would think anyone using the president's image in a commercial/ad that didn't have consent from his office could be in deep shit. Samsung would be smart enough to know this though - they'd need releases from every guy in that picture I would think.

seems like pretty gimp behavior.

I can't imagine there will be legal problems but it doesn't really seem like a wise plan to take advantage of Obama like that. He might hold a little grudge when the next big trade deal that affects them is being negotiated or something.

Real money is being paid to people for these selfies with famous people now. There is concern over the legal issues with rights. For a short time when you posted on instagram you gave them the rights to reuse your photo for marketing use. There was such blow black over it they quickly pulled it back. Big Papi admitted that he is sponsored by Samsung.

Real money is being paid to people for these selfies with famous people now. There is concern over the legal issues with rights. For a short time when you posted on instagram you gave them the rights to reuse your photo for marketing use. There was such blow black over it they quickly pulled it back. Big Papi admitted that he is sponsored by Samsung.
Aha, so there's the controversy; he's being paid by them so that he can take a selfie and they can add it to their marketing campaign. But if he's a sponsored athlete in general, and wasn't paid for this specific image...I still have trouble seeing some glaring moral fault on the part of any party. If that's indeed how Samsung is monetizing the picture, then I would think the White House might have grounds to object. I dunno, it seems right that nobody has the "rights" to the President's likeness, not even the President himself.

So now Obama has to ask everyone who wants to take a selfie if they have a contract deal with a phonemaker. I dunno, I feel like there are far more important things for me to be worry about. I hope they can figure out a way to divert some of the money to charity.

Well, if Wheaties wants Kobe Bryant on their cereal box, they need to make a deal with him and pay him. They can't hide in the crowd at a game, take his picture, put it on their cereal boxes and start selling cereal.

This is kind of what it feels like Samsung did. Get a picture of president, use it to move product.

Aha, so there's the controversy; he's being paid by them so that he can take a selfie and they can add it to their marketing campaign. But if he's a sponsored athlete in general, and wasn't paid for this specific image...

From what I read they planned in advance to take advantage of the visit for marketing.

Aha, so there's the controversy; he's being paid by them so that he can take a selfie and they can add it to their marketing campaign. But if he's a sponsored athlete in general, and wasn't paid for this specific image...I still have trouble seeing some glaring moral fault on the part of any party. If that's indeed how Samsung is monetizing the picture, then I would think the White House might have grounds to object. I dunno, it seems right that nobody has the "rights" to the President's likeness, not even the President himself.

So now Obama has to ask everyone who wants to take a selfie if they have a contract deal with a phonemaker. I dunno, I feel like there are far more important things for me to be worry about. I hope they can figure out a way to divert some of the money to charity.

It's the new way to advertise pay a celebrity to use your phone and "suggest" they post these photo's, selfies or whatever to Twitter or another social app then Samsung can retweet it on their official Twitter without needing to ask permission as that's just how Twitter works. If you can get enough retweets it can go global giving you a nice cheap advertising coup. Not much you can do about it it's just part of the modern world.

Back