Red meat increased risk of colon cancer

Armbars

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
According to a recent study, eating as little as 2 rashers of bacon, slices of ham or 2 small slices of roast beef will increase your chances of getting colon cancer. Also, according to the study alcohol was linked with an increase in colorectal cancer too. whereas fibre from bread and breakfast cereals was associated with a reduced risk.

I have an issue with these studies in general, but I must admit, it looks pretty evident in this study. Relying on modern data.

So my question is, given the climate impact cattle farming has on the environment and the ever growing links to cancer, is it time we looked at red and processed meat consumption?

https://academic.oup.com/ije/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ije/dyz064/5470096

Abstract

Background
Most of the previous studies on diet and colorectal cancer were based on diets consumed during the 1990s.

Methods
We used Cox-regression models to estimate adjusted hazard ratios for colorectal cancer by dietary factors in the UK Biobank study. Men and women aged 40–69 years at recruitment (2006–10) reported their diet on a short food-frequency questionnaire (n = 475 581). Dietary intakes were re-measured in a large sub-sample (n = 175 402) who completed an online 24-hour dietary assessment during follow-up. Trends in risk across the baseline categories were calculated by assigning re-measured intakes to allow for measurement error and changes in intake over time.

Results
During an average of 5.7 years of follow-up, 2609 cases of colorectal cancer occurred. Participants who reported consuming an average of 76 g/day of red and processed meat compared with 21 g/day had a 20% [95% confidence interval (CI): 4–37] higher risk of colorectal cancer. Participants in the highest fifth of intake of fibre from bread and breakfast cereals had a 14% (95% CI: 2–24) lower risk of colorectal cancer. Alcohol was associated with an 8% (95% CI: 4–12) higher risk per 10 g/day higher intake. Fish, poultry, cheese, fruit, vegetables, tea and coffee were not associated with colorectal-cancer risk.

Conclusions
Consumption of red and processed meat at an average level of 76 g/d that meets the current UK government recommendation (≤90 g/day) was associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer. Alcohol was also associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer, whereas fibre from bread and breakfast cereals was associated with a reduced risk.

I imagine there are healthier sources of fiber than bread and breakfast cereals.

Yeah this isn't exactly news, it's been known for quite a while.
There are several ways meat increases your risk of cancer: heme iron, IGF-1, HCAs (byproducts of meat cooked at high temperatures), those are all cancer promoters.
But wait for the anecdotes, ''my grandad ate half a pig a day charred to a crisp and he never got colon cancer''.

Literally reading this while ingesting bacon strips.

Circling right back to that Atlantic article @Jack V Savage shared in the Lounge thread.

If you have to die, you might as well die from colon cancer.

I've been skeptical of any conclusions based on 'studies' after a college professor said coconut oil was practically poison.

I've been skeptical of any conclusions based on 'studies' after a college professor said coconut oil was practically poison.
Me too, like I said I'm usually skeptical. But we've had many of these tests in the past and this one is recent and draws the same conclusion.

Yeah this isn't exactly news, it's been known for quite a while.
There are several ways meat increases your risk of cancer: heme iron, IGF-1, HCAs (byproducts of meat cooked at high temperatures), those are all cancer promoters.
But wait for the anecdotes, ''my grandad ate half a pig a day charred to a crisp and he never got colon cancer''.

If you think that is a anecdote, I don't know what to say to you.

Did you know that 97% of people who smoke, don't develope cancer associated to the cigarette use?

Even really bad carcinogens, have to be taken in huge amounts to have a cancer mortality level above 10%.

You can find studies that say anything will kill you. Don't eat spinach, it'll give you kidney stones and your dick will turn inside out.

I've always been skeptical of these studies because they don't differentiate between some processed, chemical-laden piece of mystery meat you'd eat at a fast food joint, and a quality slice of red meat straight from the butcher, which as we know is a great source of nutrients.

I imagine the amount of studies telling you red meat will make your asshole explode will ramp up exponentially now that it's become linked in with climate change. Go fuck your mother.

elksteak3.jpg

<BC1>

You can find studies that say anything will kill you. Don't eat spinach, it'll give you kidney stones and your dick will turn inside out.

I've always been skeptical of these studies because they don't differentiate between some processed, chemical-laden piece of mystery meat you'd eat at a fast food joint, and a quality slice of red meat straight from the butcher, which as we know is a great source of nutrients.

I imagine the amount of studies telling you red meat will make your asshole explode will ramp up exponentially now that it's become linked in with climate change. Go fuck your mother.

<escalate99>

What I do to avoid colorectal cancer is sunbathe. A couple studies have found sunbathing reduces the risk of developing colorectal cancer by 75%.

A little on that can be read here:

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2018/01/12/what-causes-heart-disease-part-44/

excerpt:

....Instead, here is a list of benefits that have been found from increased sun exposure. I am giving you the most positive figures here (these are relative risk reductions).:

• 75% reduction in colorectal cancer
  • 50% reduction in breast cancer
  • Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma 20 – 40% reduction
  • Prostate cancer 50% reduction
  • Bladder cancer 30% reduction
  • Metabolic syndrome/type II diabetes 40% reduction
  • Alzheimer’s 50% reduction
  • Multiple sclerosis 50% reduction
  • Psoriasis 60% reduction
  • Macular degeneration 7-fold reduction in risk
  • Improvement in mood/well-being.6,7
Well, what do you know. If you raise your gaze from malignant melanoma there is a world of benefits associated with greater exposure to the sun. With all these benefits, you would expect to see a real improvement in life expectancy. Does this happen?

Indeed, it does. There have been a series of studies in Denmark and Sweden looking at the benefit of sunshine. One of them, which looked at overall life expectancy, concluded that avoiding the sun was as bad for you as smoking.

‘Non-smokers who avoided sun exposure had a life expectancy similar to smokers in the highest sun exposure group, indicating that avoidance of sun exposure is a risk factor for death of a similar magnitude as smoking. Compared to the highest sun exposure group, life expectancy of avoiders of sun exposure was reduced by 0.6-2.1 years.’’8

This was a twenty-year study. If average life expectancy is around eighty years, we can safely multiply those figures by four, to work out that a decent amount of sun exposure can add somewhere between three, to eight years, to your life expectancy. Let’s call it five....

This has been pretty well known for awhile. It's not a secret. It's fine if you still want to eat red meat, I sure as hell am going to. Doesnt change the fact it's bad for you.

I don't care.
This is roughly my stance in general. But I might take a look at my bacon and beef intake. I eat a paleo type of diet so a few large steaks and 3 portions of bacon are consumed weekly.

You should be skeptical of unsourced claims yeah. But she just said it in a lecture she didn't do a study on it.

Bit of an overreaction to the study, no?

If your base risk is (let's just say) 1% then eating an extra 55g a day of red meat increases your risk to 1.2%.

If that triggers you into disbelieving all of science, you're fucked if you ever have to think for yourself.

If you think that is a anecdote, I don't know what to say to you.

Did you know that 97% of people who smoke, don't develope cancer associated to the cigarette use?

Even really bad carcinogens, have to be taken in huge amounts to have a cancer mortality level above 10%.
It's the definition of an anecdote.

I should add - for smoking your numbers are bullshit. The lifetime risk for everyone lumped together of lung cancer is already 6.7%, and smokers are 23 times more likely to get it than non-smokers. Especially when you add in the other 14 cancers smoking increases risk for.

Your point is taken for red meat, a 20% increase on 1% lifetime risk is 1.2%, but a 2300% increase on an already common cancer like lung cancer is nothing to scoff at.

One study in central Europe found the lung cancer rate for heavy smoking men was 24% vs 0.2% for non smoking men. In this Canadian study it is 17.2% vs 1.3%.

For both low fiber high processed meat diet and smoking however, it isn't the cancer that is most likely to get you it is shit like heart disease. 67% of smokers will die from something smoking related like cardiovascular disease, stroke, or cancer. Half of them will die by age fifty. Shit is sad.

Last edited:
Moderation is the key.

Plus you can get cancer even if you eat “right”.

I’m more concerned with all the vehicles on the road as well a corporation damage which no one seems to give a fuck about.

Back