Recovering from Rib Injury?

drifter33

White Belt
Reaction score
I popped something in my ribs while training. Doctor says its probably cartilage. She says the only thing I can do is rest, for 6 to 8 weeks that is! I don't want to be off for that long. Does anybody out there have any suggestions for a quick recovery? Medicines, Supplements, Excercises, etc? Thanks for the help!

She's right. Just takes time. I broke a rib wrestling and didn't listen to the doctor. As a result, it didn't heal properly and I have a large lump on the right side of my rib cage.

Rest.....or deformity?

How long ago Bacon? I had a lump as well after I broke a rib fooling around before practice one day... After a long time (6+ months) the lump (scar tissue or something I guess) started to go away and ended up disappearing completely.

Was annoying to sleep on while it was there.

It was 1998 when I broke mine. My lump isn't scar tissue or cartilage. It's the rib itself that protrudes. When i broke the rib, I could pop it in and out by taking a deep breath or flexing my abs. Hurt like a motherfucker. When i went to sleep that night, it "set itself" in the "out" position. Been there ever since.

I had bruised ribs and I was more than glad to rest for a few weeks. A rib injury is nothing to take lightly. Could you even do anything if you wanted to? I couldn't breathe right, cough, or walk for a couple weeks. Listen to the doc.

That actually sounds sort of disgusting Bacon :D

It was 1998 when I broke mine. My lump isn't scar tissue or cartilage. It's the rib itself that protrudes. When i broke the rib, I could pop it in and out by taking a deep breath or flexing my abs. Hurt like a motherfucker. When i went to sleep that night, it "set itself" in the "out" position. Been there ever since.

Theoretically you could "fix" it by rebreaking the rib... Or you could end up making it worse.
BE A MAN :icon_twis

I did the exact same cartilage thing last summer (mid-June). It was so bad, I couldn't even walk without pain from the bouncing up-and-down movement. I had to stop lifting/running and rest for a couple months. But I was back to normal I think by September.

Back