Recovering from back injury.. Should i ever dead lift again??

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by sprawl&brawl, Aug 7, 2005.

1. sprawl&brawl

sprawl&brawl Green Belt

I don't think i'm venturing into the forbidden topic. I I did go the the emergency room and consult with a doctor, Urban. It's been a week since i really pulled my lower back. Through 4 Chiropracter visits, light stretching, and icing down every 2 hours.. I'm starting to slowly but surely recover. If i rehab properly and not push will i be able to do some of my old activities? I've heard once you have a back injury you susceptible to further future injuries. However, i heard if you really strenthen your abdominals and start doing things like deadlifts and goodmornings you can have a good rehab. My questions are:

1. Did any of the top powerlifts ever severly pull their lower back? And if they did they still pull huge amouts in the deadlift.

2. Have any of the board members have a severe pull? Did you guys make a complete recovery? Also, are there any activites you abstain from since the injury?

3. Any advice from the board?? Exercises to do, exercises to abstain, and can one fully recover from back injury and still wrestle, powerlift (squat and deadlift), and do power cleans without living in fear of re-injury?

2. killer_kicks88

killer_kicks88 Green Belt

well...this doesn't mean that you can't do them anymore, but as far as back injuries go, i have a fused spine at only 16 years old...i can no longer do normal squats or deadlifts anymore because even with fairly light weight it results in pretty bad pain...for lower back i have reduced myself to weighted reverse hypers and normal hyper extensions, these will never replace the dealift but i don't have many options, and as far as raplacing squat goes...lunges and weighted pistols (ass to the grass one legged squats) is all i have found that i can do as of yet...these lifts may be of some help to you...good luck

3. wenispinkle

wenispinkle Skankin' It Easy...

that fucking sucks.....do you fight or anything

4. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

I've fucked up my bad severely in the past, the worst being a slipped disc. After I recovered, I slowly eased back into deadlifting and felt fine. Listen to your body and go slowly!

5. Alon

Alon Purple Belt

I strained some ligaments in my back through twisted hips, and kept on re-injuring it because of my own stupidity, given that my injury isn't as bad as yours, I suggest that you both take a REALLY long time to get back and get some professional advice in terms of what exercises you can and can't do (both now and after the swelling/inflammation etc has gone down).

That said I'm lifting again, hit my old pb's and will compete again in two weeks (about 6 months after the injury)

6. killer_kicks88

yes, i train and fight successfully, when i found about my defect i have charged forward and i am just trying to do everything i ever wanted to do, i don't want to die wishing i would have done something i couldn't...this problem is just another thing to make me mentally stronger bro...but it definately has held me back from some things

7. sprawl&brawl

sprawl&brawl Green Belt

The ligament thing was suggested but not confirmed.. I didn't get a MRI.. I really didn't want to shell out the dough. I do intend to wait at least 4-6 more weeks before attempt any pulling exercises, of course nothing heavy.

8. Braziluvr

Braziluvr Guest

Look, I'm no doc., but I've had severe back pain for 5 yrs. I have two herniated discs @L4-5, a direct result of heavy presses behind the neck (255-265 for reps.). I can't lift AT ALL anymore. I bought a total gym, that's pretty much all I can do. I need to have my spine fused, and take serious pain meds every fucking day. My advice would be to stop. Do other exercises to build up your quads, vertical sled, etc. Don't get me wrong, dead lifts & squats (my opinion dead lifts) are the two best overall total body developing exercises, BARRING INJURY. I don't want to see you go through what I do. If you're adamant, go as heavy as you can w/o breaking proper form. Wish you the best.

9. killer_kicks88

its all about weighted hypers and reverse hypers

10. rEmY

rEmY Needs to eat more

i pulled my back deadlifting pretty badly a couple of months ago. i couldnt lift at all for about 6 weeks. took a fair amount of iboprofen and just took it easy. when i came back, i started off light, like %50 1RM, and just made sure that my form was perfect.

i know louie simmons has injured his back in the past pretty severely (he mentions it in some articles) and he still lifts some heavy fucking weights.

11. Fedorable

Fedorable Continues without supporting Sherdog.

Take it easy, good luck, and be patient.