Recommendations for learning golf during vacations

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by JadeOwl, Dec 27, 2016.

1. JadeOwl

JadeOwl Brown Belt

I might have some vacation time coming my way next year and I was thinking about spending it in an all-inclusive resort somewhere in the Caribbean or the Riviera Maya.

While weighting options, I got the idea that I could kill two birds with one stone and do something I’ve always wanted to do, which is to learn to play golf.

So I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations of resorts which include golf courses and lessons for people with zero experience. And are not outrageously expensive of course.

2. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

Honestly, most of the resorts are nicer courses that tend to be challenging. I'd vote against trying to learn while on vacation. IMO, it's best to learn at ranges, par 3 courses, or cheaper/open layout courses.

marioh likes this.
  3. JadeOwl

JadeOwl Brown Belt

The problem is, the only golf courses in Lima are all in private clubs that are not open to the public.

And even if I had US$ 40,000 or US$ 60,000 lying around for a membership, I can think of quite a few other things I could invest that money on.

4. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

I remember playing golf with my dad as a kid at the club we were members of and he got mad for slicing a ball and so he threw his brand new $350-500 club and it got stuck in a tree.

First time I heard my dad filled with rage and cussing

Great memory and great times playing golf with him

5. greygoose

greygoose Brown Belt

Golf can be expensive, but 40 - 60k is a bit much. Most of places you can pick up lessons from a PGA certified pro won't require a membership (at least they didn't when I grew up).

Edit: just saw your location. I have no idea how expensive it is over there. If it's anything like Korea, then obnoxious amounts of money to learn isn't out of the question. Honestly, you can find YT videos and then head out to a range.

6. JadeOwl

JadeOwl Brown Belt

That's the thing, there is no range. Every single golf course in and around the city of Lima is private, inside private clubs. Over here, golf is a rich person's game. you can only really play if you are member of one of the clubs or a family member or have a friend who can bring you in as a guest. I qualify for neither of those categories.

So basically my only option is to get the lessons while on holiday in a country where golf is more accesible for a middle class fellow.

7. marioh

marioh Black Belt

golf isn't really a game you can pickup easily with a couple of lessons.
    and i'd highly recommend not playing on any courses if you cannot consistently hit the ball.

8. Oblivian

I guess I'm confused then. Do you only plan to play golf on vacations and not play when at home?

9. JadeOwl

JadeOwl Brown Belt

I have never played golf in my life.

I am curious about learning to do so.

There are no public golf courses in Lima where I can learn to play.

I am thinking of taking a beginner's lesson while on holiday next year.

This thread is to ask for recommendations about all-inclusive resorts that also have golf courses and lessons for beginners.

10. FyrFytr998

FyrFytr998 Gemtor Belt

Copious amounts of alcohol + Electric Cart = Vacation memories.

11. Oblivian

As someone who learned to play golf in my later 20's and also helped others learn since then, I'm trying to gauge exactly what your expectations are here. You need to understand golf is a steep learning curve and something that takes a while to catch onto. If your vacation is 1-2 weeks, unless a lot of your days are spent trying to learn, you aren't really even going to be able to get a round in by the end of it. It's a long process, and my point is that it's going to be near impossible to learn if you aren't able to stick with it when you head back to Lima.

12. Winter-John

Winter-John Purple Belt

Don't bother. Golf is for braying, loud mouthed wankers. Tennis and squash players are too, but they dress like pedophiles instead of obese dog fuckers. If you want a gentlemanly game play pool or snooker. You can wear what you like, drink yourself silly and if some radge wants tae get wide wi ye, ye kin fuckin ram the smart cunt's puss wi yer cue

13. JadeOwl

JadeOwl Brown Belt

I was hoping to learn the very basics, play a little and find out if it's a game I would enjoy.

My expectations are low. I'm just looking to dip my toe in and see what it's like. I'm not even expecting to be able to complete a whole round on my own after the lesson.