1. Come join Sherdog.com writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos for our live video chat series titled "The Trenches," LIVE NOW, Click Here!

Recommend me some swarmer fights....

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Shervin**, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Shervin**

Shervin** White Belt

Lately I have been getting in to the swarmer phase and want to really observe it and see how it works and how it differrs from in-fighting.

Also can you recommend me some swarmers to watch for other then margarito/ nick diaz in the mma world...

My first time watching a swarmer fight was Vicente Escobedo vs michael katsidis although Im not sure which guy was the boxer or the swarmer since I caught the fight with the intention of watching the mayweather marquez fight.

Anyway tell me about this style,how popular it is and how it differes from in-fighting and if this style can go hand in hand with a good defense...

2. Kimura77

Kimura77 Orange Belt

Whaaat!?

3. XCuTioNeR

XCuTioNeR Mundo Hispano FECARBOX Champion

What he said^^^.

4. Athenry04

Athenry04 Black Belt

If you just want to watch a fight with people going at, just check out Katsidis - Earl on Youtube.

5. consortium11

consortium11 Slip The Jab

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by swarmer... someone who throws a lot of punches without every punch necessarily being a knockout blow?

If that's the case then pretty much any Paul Williams fight is a good option to watch. MMA commentators keep on making (terrible) comparisons between him and Nick Diaz but he's essentially got Nick's style if Nick could do it well.

Williams vs Winky Wright: Shows him dominating a former P4P entrant with one of the best defences in the game.

(Can't easily find the whole fight online)

Williams vs Verno Phillips: Is Williams at his offensive peak.

Williams vs Margarito: Shows Williams against a never-stop-coming-forward-and-throwing punches type.

Dailymotion - Antonio Margarito vs Paul Williams 1/4 - une vidéo Sports et Extrême

Williams vs Martinez: Shows what happens when he comes up against a great counter boxer who can exploit the holes he leaves.

Another option is the recently retired Joe Calzaghe. Joe picked up the nickname "Calslappy" due to the infamous style of his punches (after he kept breaking his hands), but he still generally threw over a thousand punches a fight and often 100+ in a round.

His coming out party was vs Jeff Lacy, a big hitting American who'd been (over)hyped as a mini-Mike Tyson. People don't like to admit it now but pretty much the whole world thought he'd smash Calzaghe senseless with ease. Instead Calzaghe ruined him as a fighter.

His next big fight was against Kessler... the other great 168lbs fighter and, once again, many people thought Kessler would dispose of Calzaghe with relative ease.

For an example of when the style doesn't work so well, the old master Hopkins drew Calzaghe in and took away his work rate by using every trick in the book.

(Unfortunately I can't find the first part of the fight online...)

6. jlagman

jlagman Duty Belt

This is the same dude who thinks that Vitor's fast twitch muscles, will allow him to school James Toney in a 6 round boxing match...

7. consortium11

I feel like I've wasted some effort there then... :icon_cry2

8. Athenry04

Athenry04 Black Belt

Ahh yes, he of the funniest ever sherdog post.

9. Shervin**

Shervin** White Belt

No you didnt!!!

Dont take shit from these guys!!!

I was looking up at boxing styles in couple of websites and it listed: Infighter,outfighter,brawler,boxer puncher and swarmer.

Then I rememberd watching michael katsid vs vincent escobado and I forgot who was which but I remmeber one guy was a swarmer/high volume puncher the other guy danced around and threw jabs and etc...

10. consortium11

Another guy noted for throwing a lot of punches is Juan Diaz, who was once pretty much the undisputed man at LW.

An example of him doing it well:

And not so well (but it was the fight of the year so a great watch regardless)

11. spiralingintro

spiralingintro White Belt

Where the hell has this "swarmer" stuff come from? At a different thread someone stated," A swarmer beats a boxer but a slugger beats the swarmer." WTF!

12. consortium11

It's bad enough when someone comes out and goes "you box a brawler and brawl a boxer..."

So... you're up against a brawler so you're going to box...

But wait...

I thought a brawler beat a boxer?

13. Cdn_Fight_Fan

Cdn_Fight_Fan Green Belt

Have people seriously never heard the term 'swarmer' before?

btw, OP check out some fights of Jeff Fenech.

14. Astro Man

Astro Man Kid Blackie

I think it'd be more accurate to say you try to get a boxer to brawl.

15. spiralingintro

spiralingintro White Belt

I honestly hadn't heard the term until a what if thread on Papa Jack v Dempsey. I understand the term but prefer "high volume pressure fighter" to swarmer.

16. Cois

Cois Guest

That refers to taking people out of their comfort zones and not letting them fight their style of fight. If someone likes to brawl, brawling with them is what they want. However a brawling style can be picked apart by smart boxing and effective countering as brawlers tend to be overaggressive and leaves holes in their defense. Conversely, some who boxes, doesn't brawl, doesn't like to be hit, etc., the game plan for them is to force them into a fight, make them mix it up, get hit, exchange, etc.

Floyd boxed Gatti the brawler. Segura forced the boxer Calderon to brawl.

17. swarmer = volume puncher (usually on the inside)/pressure fighter/combo fighter whatever you wanna call it, not to be confused with a slugger which is a power puncher.

They are the anti-counter punchers, light on their feet, good in&out movement, excellent conditioning, usually relies on wearing their opponents down.

Alot of mexicans fight like this....

Example of a swarmer= Pacquiao

Keep in mind all boxers are always more than one "style", it's very rare that a boxer can be easily categorized, because pacquiao can be just as much of a slugger as he is a swarmer.

18. TexasDrugAddict**

TexasDrugAddict** Silver Belt

Check out some of Ricky Hatton's fights.

19. LA2Vegas

LA2Vegas White Belt

Joe Calzaghe

Slappy Joe or Joe Calslappy as his critics would call him. Say what you will about his record and choice of opponents....his style is what makes him great, IMO.

To me, one of the hallmarks of the swarmer style is throwing combinations, in volume (head/body), at various speeds, angles, rythms, and power. Continual quick shots to measure and keep distance for defense, blind your vision and mix in a power shot when you can't see them coming. Smothering and crowding. Because they pull their power on a lot of punches, their accuracy with the quick little shots is what eventually can wear down opponents.

Offensively, quick little shots of a swarmer would be akin in effectiveness to this style a power puncher landing his money punch, the body attack of a pressure fighter, the brawler going toe-to-toe, or the ring generalship of a pure boxer.

Obviously, you must have other qualities defensively that allow you to employ this style i.e. a great chin and a wierd, unique to you, offset rhythm of footwork and head movement, and great parrying.

One of the differences between a pressure fighter and a swarmer, if we are to make a distinction, is that the swarmer doesn't necessarily "come forward" straight in an effort to just land hard punches while missing wildly sometimes, sacrificing defense for offense. I think swarmers are a little different because they are in and out, feinting by foot movement or quick head movement and they are not as predictable over the course of 12rds like a pressure fighter may be.

I agree Paul Williams is a swarmer and if you look at his fight against Margarito, you will see what I mean in the difference between swarmer and pressure fighter. There are some similarities between both their styles because of the volume of punches they throw, but Williams is just a little bit more unpredictibale in his movements than the pressure fighter Margarito. Because of this, Margarito has to continually "reset" even if just shoeshined by a quick combo because can't get the timing and he has to respect the varied power shots.

I'm sure others can add more to this but this is how I would quickly define the style. Sorry, don't know how to post video

Others off the top of my head

Daniel Zaragoza
    Kassim Ouma
    Julio Cesar Chavez (not sure)
    Manny Pacquiao(although with extreme power)
    Paul Williams
    Philip Holiday
    Jeff Fenech