Recommend me some Country music

Now THIS is the type of sound I like. Does country have the sub genre deal that rock has? Like how theres metal, grunge, death etc in rock, does country have something similar and if so, what would this sound be called?
Yeah I think country has as many if not more sub genres than rock. Off the top of my head you’ve got your bluegrass/mountain music, traditional country, southern country, Western swing, several different eras of “Nashville country”, the “Bakersfield sound”, outlaw country, neo-traditional country, Texas country, etc. I’m not counting the horrific style of “country” you hear on radio today. I think that Charlie Daniels mostly falls into what I would call southern country.

Last edited:
Yeah I think country has as many if not more sub genres than rock. Off the top of my head you’ve got your bluegrass/mountain music, traditional country, southern country, Western swing, several different eras of “Nashville country”, the “bakersville sound”, outlaw country, neo-traditional country, Texas country, etc. I’m not counting the horrific style of “country” you hear on radio today. I think that Charlie Daniels mostly falls into what I would call southern country.
Murder Folk is one of the stranger ones.

What is country music exactly? How do we define it?

Are bands like Alabama country? They are named after a pretty rural state that probably listens to country music heavily. What about Lynyrd Skynyrd? They sang a song called "Sweet Home Alabama" . Can you get more country than that?

If Lynyrd Skynyrd is country than what about their little brother 38 Special? Johnnie Van Zant is the late Ronnie Van Zant's little bro.

What is country music exactly? How do we define it?

Are bands like Alabama country? They are named after a pretty rural state that probably listens to country music heavily. What about Lynyrd Skynyrd? They sang a song called "Sweet Home Alabama" . Can you get more country than that?

If Lynyrd Skynyrd is country than what about their little brother 38 Special? Johnnie Van Zant is the late Ronnie Van Zant's little bro.

Skynyrd is rock but accepted by rednecks. 38 Special is rock as well.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Can I give this one more run?

Saw John live on OH earlier this year. Took a lot to not cry like a bitch during a few songs.

Saw him in Chicago a little while ago. Cried like a bitch.

I'm sure this thread has been done before but..

I like to say "I listen to everything - except country" but I'd like to change that. I know theres some country music I would enjoy, I just dont know where to look.

I enjoy hip hop, rock, death metal, grunge, and all the sub genres in between. Songs that speak about the world, history, the future, whatever. Just not fantasy or pop type stuff (dont get me wrong, there is a time and place for this as well) - but right now, I dont need feel good or dance music.

Any ideas?

Here is one of the best country albums of all time my man. This album changed my life.

Back