Recommend me a crime fiction novel please guys...

If you are not limited to newer stuff, check out Charles Willeford as well. One of my all time faves, ranks up there with Thompson who I already mentioned.

Good resource for finding this sort of book:
http://www.weeklylizard.com/

Jo Nesbo is also good... recently read a few of his.
Thanx Gryphon, ive read all your contributions here and have increase my amazon wishlist tenfold, i ended up ordering Stuart Nevilles 'the twelve' and also Conollys 'every dead thing' for now. Ive bookmarked the sites youve posted. Also, if there was only one book you could recommend, which would it be?

I'm with the guy who said John Grisham. He's a great writer.

Are you British or American (or from anywhere else)?.
British, im gonna look into Rankin once i get the aforementioned novels out of the way.

Thx for the contributions everyone.

Thanx Gryphon, ive read all your contributions here and have increase my amazon wishlist tenfold, i ended up ordering Stuart Nevilles 'the twelve' and also Conollys 'every dead thing' for now. Ive bookmarked the sites youve posted. Also, if there was only one book you could recommend, which would it be?

Depends on how dark you wanna go. High Life is the darkest, but I'd read the review I posted first. We are talking seriously fucked up.

Keeping it to current authors, I'd go with something by Bruen or Pelecanos if that one is beyond what you are willing to put yourself through.

Bruen's Taylor series is more refined than his Brant books, and start to take a bit of a supernatural turn with Priest. I'd start with The Guards, first in the Jack Taylor series.

For Pelecanos, they're all good honestly. If you want old school The Big Blowdown is great. Read them all though.

My new crime novel, "Rough Men" is out on the 22nd.:cool:

Really? I should read it then. More info, here or PM.

Truly, good sir. If you check it out be sure to let me know what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Men-Aric-Davis/dp/161218653X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

51zghegkZrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Nice! I will... as you can tell I'm a fan of the genre.

Pick one: favorite crime/noir author?

How about two? Vachss and Richard Stark for me, please.

McBain was the shit too.

How about two? Vachss and Richard Stark for me, please.

McBain was the shit too.

Nice again! Stark is one of mine (prolly #2), toss in the other 80 or so books written under different names and you've got a powerhouse author there :)

I'd still call Jim Thompson #1 though, I like the twisted. Cant go wrong with Ed McBain. I like Vachss, but he's down the list a bit. Charles Williams, Willeford, Pelecanos, Bruen, Mosley, and a couple more would rank higher for me. Personal preference. Old school and weird are my thing for the most part.

Last edited:
was kiss kiss bang bang adapted from a book? our was it just a big to dashiel hammet stories?

Summer6.gif

awesome book and story line involving hunting down a serial killer in Manhatten during the turn of the 20th century.

Also anything by Stephen Hunter, (he wrote the book that the movie "Shooter" was based on)

Depends on how dark you wanna go. High Life is the darkest, but I'd read the review I posted first. We are talking seriously fucked up.

Keeping it to current authors, I'd go with something by Bruen or Pelecanos if that one is beyond what you are willing to put yourself through.

Bruen's Taylor series is more refined than his Brant books, and start to take a bit of a supernatural turn with Priest. I'd start with The Guards, first in the Jack Taylor series.

For Pelecanos, they're all good honestly. If you want old school The Big Blowdown is great. Read them all though.
Gotcha. thx once again.

Summer6.gif

awesome book and story line involving hunting down a serial killer in Manhatten during the turn of the 20th century.

Also anything by Stephen Hunter, (he wrote the book that the movie "Shooter" was based on)
Ordered Alienist, thanks.

Back