Recommend me a crime fiction novel please guys...

Jack Reacher novel series.

shella_tpb1_lg.jpg

Walking Money by James O. Born. Loved the book.

*Starred Review* The title here wittily evokes both the shell game of the plot, in which a fortune appears and disappears in various boxes and briefcases, and the motivation for all those who seek this fortune: enough "walking around" money to last several well-oiled lifetimes. Anyone can play this game--criminals, cops, FBI agents, even a phony community activist. This is the kind of book that, to be credible, needs to be written by someone familiar with scam artists on both sides of the law. Born, a 17-year law-enforcement veteran, is now a special agent supervisor with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, overseeing investigations into organized crime, economic crimes, drug cartels, violent crimes, and public corruption. This background lends authority not only to the plot but also to the dialogue, the edgy cop humor, and the glitzy-grotesque South Florida setting. The hero, Florida Department of Law Enforcement cop Bill Tasker, recently transferred from West Palm Beach to Miami and assigned to the FBI-heavy Robbery Task Force, knows that a satchel with $1.5 million is about to walk out of a bank. The trick is to keep an eye on the prize once it walks and then as it changes hands over and over again. Honest-cop Tasker is framed, becomes a target, and continues investigating as the body count mounts. A sleek and slick caper.

First one ITT I have not read. I'll have to look into it.
Haven't read most of these. I'm glad to get so many suggestions. I really just started reading novels again after almost a decade.

The tesseract by Alex garland. Not full out crime novel but amazing still, read it like ten times. Also the stone monkey by Jeffrey deaver, crazy twist in this one

I'm with the guy who said John Grisham. He's a great writer.

Are you British or American (or from anywhere else)?

The Inspector Rebus series by Ian Rankin is fantastic. They're set in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Lots of grit, drugs, crime and alcohol. Excellently written.

It's set in Nazi Germany, but Philip Kerr's Berlin Noir books are some of my favorites.

I'm with the guy who said John Grisham. He's a great writer.

Are you British or American (or from anywhere else)?

The Inspector Rebus series by Ian Rankin is fantastic. They're set in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Lots of grit, drugs, crime and alcohol. Excellently written.

Sounds a bit like Bruen, but he's Irish. Have not read those yet.

Lansdale got a mention too, another good one.

I dont know about "hard boiled" but I would recommend anyone to read the book Clockers by Richard Price. The movie was great, but the book is a million times better

John Sandford is good, read a few of his. I've tried to keep my recommendations to more of the gritty end... if I just posted a list of crime/noir writers I've read and enjoyed it would be a very long list.

If you really want the deep end of LA neo-noir, Stokoe's High Life is the one:

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels: Black Echo, Black Ice, Concrete Blonde, Last Coyote, Trunk Music and Angel's Flight are the earliest and best.

Connelly's The Poet, Blood Work and Lincoln Lawyer were pretty good too.

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Has anyone read Gone Girl by Gail Flynn?

Nope, thanks for the tip.

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels: Black Echo, Black Ice, Concrete Blonde, Last Coyote, Trunk Music and Angel's Flight are the earliest and best.

Connelly's The Poet, Blood Work and Lincoln Lawyer were pretty good too.

I'd recommend all of those. Have not read his 2 latest yet.

Nope, thanks for the tip.

I'd recommend all of those. Have not read his 2 latest yet.

Well I haven't read it but it's supposed to be good. And I'm pretty sure it's what you're looking for. I keep looking at 2nd & Charles for it but it's never there.

Back