Receiving the black belt

8 years is quick. How often do you train?

Congratz beast

I think you're downplaying your competitive achievements. I think they are impressive and I think you should be very proud of them.

Congratulations!

agreed, i thought 8 years could have been quick until i saw the achievements. very decent! congratulations

8 years is quick. How often do you train?

Congratz beast

thats everyone! For the first year when I started, I trained once a week due to not enjoying it. Then I started training 4 days a week for about 2 years. From the 3rd year on, I'd train 2X a day, 4 days a week and once a day the other 2 days with one rest day a week.

Now I train everyday with one rest day a week. About 4 days I still train twice a day. I also teach 6 days a week at 2 different gyms

One gym I help my friend and training partner who owns it, called Sapateiro Jiujitsu Honolulu. I only teach adults there and it is the primary gym I do my training at.

I help my head instructor Leandro Nyza at the UFC Gym BJ Penn Honolulu location teach classes there. I teach both kids and adult classes. I also train at this location a few times a week with Nyza and I run a kids competition class once a week here.

SO, I was awarded my black belt by my instructor Leandro Nyza yesterday morning. Leandro Nyza is an original Nova Uniao black belt and is the head of the association in Hawaii. I have been training for 8 years. The funny thing is I started training because my friends who I fought muay thai with were really into the gi. I really didn't care for it. I only trained because they were training and I was working the shift at the gym anyways so I figured why not. After training once a week for about a year, I FINALLY started to like it. I because obsessed with training.

I knew competing would help to accelerate my game and I would improve quicker. I hated competing in the beginning even though I had dozens of mma/boxing/kickboxing fights. I felt so awkward competing in BJJ and I felt terrified I would look bad. But I stuck with competing because I knew it would push me to improve as much as possible. I frequently fly out to compete at the big tournaments like the Pans & Worlds but I wouldn't call myself world class at all. I was close to medaling in the 2014 IBJJF Worlds as a brown belt in a stacked division. I won 2 matches to make the quarterfinals and I lost that 3rd match so I left empty handed, just narrowly missing the medal rounds. My best accomplishments competitively has been a 3rd place at NoGi Worlds as a brown belt and a 2nd placing at NoGi Pans as a purple. After 8 years, here it came
View attachment 179689

Grats:)

thats everyone! For the first year when I started, I trained once a week due to not enjoying it. Then I started training 4 days a week for about 2 years. From the 3rd year on, I'd train 2X a day, 4 days a week and once a day the other 2 days with one rest day a week.

Now I train everyday with one rest day a week. About 4 days I still train twice a day. I also teach 6 days a week at 2 different gyms

One gym I help my friend and training partner who owns it, called Sapateiro Jiujitsu Honolulu. I only teach adults there and it is the primary gym I do my training at.

I help my head instructor Leandro Nyza at the UFC Gym BJ Penn Honolulu location teach classes there. I teach both kids and adult classes. I also train at this location a few times a week with Nyza and I run a kids competition class once a week here.

Waouw you train a lot!
Congratulation by the way, impressive.

Congrats man. I've trained over with Nyza at BJ Penn. He is an excellent instructor. I haven't been to Honolulu in a few but next time in in town I'll definitely go back there.

Back