Reccomend me a workout routine for weight loss

JSPoole1983

White Belt
Reaction score
So basically I love to follow mma and sports but have never been an athlete myself. I hate cardio and I did a regiment of Wii fit and some walking but I found it too boring and gave up after a week or two.

Im actually pretty strong but Im a pretty big guy, Id say over 40% bf by comparing to pictures online of other people. Im not looking to get TOO ripped, I just want to be able to look good since I lack self confidence.

Go to the FAQ for workout info.

As for the weight loss, start counting your calories and weigh yourself each morning. If you are staying about the same weight over a week or two, reduce your intake 500 calories a day. That will lead to about a pound a week of weight loss.

I'd recommend watching what you eat before I recommended any workout routine geared for weight loss. It's much easier to not consume 500 calories than it is to burn 500 calories doing whatever. Especially for someone that doesn't enjoy cardio.

I do absolutely 0 cardio and I'm what people would consider ripped.

Personally, I recommend you do some strength training while watching what you eat. I'd recommend Strong Lifts or Starting Strength for a complete beginner, but if you'd prefer a more bodybuilding oriented program, Fierce 5 is just as good, if not better. I would say Strong Lifts and Starting Strength are easier to stick too, though.

1. stop drinking calories
2. no snacks period
3. cut each meal in half, literally. save the leftovers for the next day

you can eat anything you want, just less of it

1. stop drinking calories
2. no snacks period
3. cut each meal in half, literally. save the leftovers for the next day

you can eat anything you want, just less of it

1. That doesn't mean diet drinks. Water only.
2. No.
3. No.

Snacking is an excellent way to lose weight, especially if you're cutting meals in half. Keeping a steady source of calories (good calories) keeps your metabolism going strong.

You don't eat anything you want. At all. Not even close. You eat as much as you want of lean protein (Turkey, Fish, Chicken) and green veggies (fruit is loaded with sugar). It is a game of limiting carbohydrates. You can eat 1500 calories of ice cream a day vs 1500 calories of lean meat and veggies. You will not see the same results. Not all calories are equal.

As far as snacks, get you some apples and cashews or almonds. Apples have little sugar, a lot of fiber, and are perfect for regulating blood sugar.

Cashews/almonds have protein and loads of good fats without a lot of sugar.

If you want to get to a healthy body weight, high protein, high GOOD fat (animal fats, omegas, etc), low carbs. Start with 150 carbs a day. Cut down to as low as you can handle. You'll learn to listen to your bodies cravings. I lost 60lbs in 4 months doing exactly this.

You can't eat whatever you want. You can't drink zero calorie sodas and expect a big difference. Studies show that the perception of sweetness even in the absence of actual sugar (like artificial sweeteners) can drastically effect insulin levels and actually increases sugar cravings.

Drink water.
Eat clean.
Workout.

The only flexible part of this is your workout. It doesn't matter that you have a strict lifting regimen. What matters is that you're moving and working 30 minutes a day. For getting ripped, I switched to nothing but squats, deadlifts, pushups and pullups. Compound lifts that work multiple muscle groups while using a minimal amount of time. The more muscles you engage and tear down, the more calories your body will use.

Keeping a steady source of calories (good calories) keeps your metabolism going strong.

breathing is a good way to keep your metabolism going

seriously all the stuff about 'boosting your metabolism' is pretty much worthless unless you're doing olympic-level workouts

You eat as much as you want of lean protein (Turkey, Fish, Chicken) and green veggies (fruit is loaded with sugar).

absolutely not. you eat 3000 calories of protein and veggies, and you'll get fat

You can eat 1500 calories of ice cream a day vs 1500 calories of lean meat and veggies. You will not see the same results. Not all calories are equal.

in terms of weight loss they absolutely are

it may not be healthy per se, but you will lose weight eating just junk food if you limit total consumption enough

I lost 60lbs in 4 months doing exactly this.

Good for you, but that came from reducing caloric intake period. Anything else is either about other health issues or playing games with yourself to help you stick to your diet.

You can't eat whatever you want.

Again you absolutely can. I had similar weight loss eating chocolate donuts and similar junk for lunch. The difference is I only had 1 donut and water and nothing else. Cut the calories and you will lose weight.

You can't drink zero calorie sodas and expect a big difference. Studies show that the perception of sweetness even in the absence of actual sugar (like artificial sweeteners) can drastically effect insulin levels and actually increases sugar cravings.

Diet drinks might have an impact for the long-term health of your pancreas, but in terms of weight loss and calorie cutting, they do absolutely work (assuming you have the willpower to not make up the calories elsewhere).

Thanks so much guys.

Im gonna try to drink diet sodas from now on. I hate drinking water, it is so boring so I will just stick to diet cokes now.

I might start doing Wii fit again.

seriously all the stuff about 'boosting your metabolism' is pretty much worthless unless you're doing olympic-level workouts

absolutely not. you eat 3000 calories of protein and veggies, and you'll get fat

it may not be healthy per se, but you will lose weight eating just junk food if you limit total consumption enough

Good for you, but that came from reducing caloric intake period. Anything else is either about other health issues or playing games with yourself to help you stick to your diet.

Again you absolutely can. I had similar weight loss eating chocolate donuts and similar junk for lunch. The difference is I only had 1 donut and water and nothing else. Cut the calories and you will lose weight.

Diet drinks might have an impact for the long-term health of your pancreas, but in terms of weight loss and calorie cutting, they do absolutely work (assuming you have the willpower to not make up the calories elsewhere).

I think you're spot on, but when it comes to eating whatever you want - sure, technically you can. Calories in/out. But that's in ideal conditions. In the real world, if you eat crap you're more likely to crave for high amounts of it, which will chip away at your will power & make overeating more likely

Diet is the key to weight loss so I suggest you head over to that sub-forum instead.

As far as workouts, at this point just doing something that you enjoy and can do multiple times per week will be a great start. If you find walking boring try putting on a podcast while you walk. There are tonnes of good podcasts out there and many have hundreds of back episodes so you won't run out any time soon. You could mix that up with a few days of strength training.

And don't worry about getting too ripped, that's a pretty difficult thing to by mistake, LOL.

Thanks so much guys.

Im gonna try to drink diet sodas from now on. I hate drinking water, it is so boring so I will just stick to diet cokes now.

Do not drink diet sodas. cut soda out to like 1 soda per week, that shit is awful for your body and teeth overall. grow up with the "I hate drinking water" and be a man, that's little kid crap.

I think you're spot on, but when it comes to eating whatever you want - sure, technically you can. Calories in/out. But that's in ideal conditions. In the real world, if you eat crap you're more likely to crave for high amounts of it, which will chip away at your will power & make overeating more likely

It depends on the person, some people do well eating clean, flexible dieting, etc.

I myself have had great success using IIFYM, lost close 20lbs with it and my performance hasn't suffered at all.

I found that allowing "junk" foods into my regular meal plan kept me from binging insanely. Before when I was eating "clean", I would crave and think about pizza, donuts, booze, etc all the time. When I gorged it was in the neighborhood of 8-12k calories. By incorporating them, I haven't had a binge like that in quite some time, the last one was about 500+ of my maintenance.

I get what you're saying, but 3000 calories of protein and veggies is the difference between 7 pounds of chicken or 90 cups of kale compared to a box and a half of doughnuts. They might technically be the same, but one is a bit easier to overindulge on.

I've found the most success by adding a lot of high fiber vegetables with a little bit of fat. The fiber fills the stomach and the fat signals the brain. Or something. I don't really know, it just works for me.

It depends on the person, some people do well eating clean, flexible dieting, etc.

I myself have had great success using IIFYM, lost close 20lbs with it and my performance hasn't suffered at all.

I found that allowing "junk" foods into my regular meal plan kept me from binging insanely. Before when I was eating "clean", I would crave and think about pizza, donuts, booze, etc all the time. When I gorged it was in the neighborhood of 8-12k calories. By incorporating them, I haven't had a binge like that in quite some time, the last one was about 500+ of my maintenance.

That's fair enough, I eat a similar way. People should experiment and do what works for them, but I still think eating cleaner is generally a good way to remove bad habits which could get out of control.

Thanks so much guys.

If you're not trolling, and this is actually your attitude, just quit now, because there's no hope for you.

Jim! We're a kinder, gentler f13, now. remember?

Thanks so much guys.

I have some bad news for you.

If you cut calories (eg by drinking diet drinks) and exercise a bit more, yeah, you will lose a bit of weight. But it probably won't be that much.

Pretty much every guy you see who is really lean and ripped is doing some combination of working their asses off, and really controlling their diet. They are a doing a fucktonne more than cuttting soda and doing wiifit.

Don't believe the anti-artificial sweeteners hype:

The Evidence Supports Artificial Sweeteners Over Sugar

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/u...ial-sweeteners-over-sugar.html?abt=0002&abg=1

Of course, you shouldn't drink 2 liters of it a day. Aside from water, there is NOTHING that drinking 2 liters a day will be healthy for.

Water is still healthier but a good mix of water and diet drinks to replace regular soda and other sugar drinks is ideal. Don't drink your calories is the best advice really.

Every pro athletic trainer disagrees with every single thing you said. I regret coming into this forum. It's still Sherdog. My bad.

Not saying I agree completely with craxie, but what is a "pro athletic trainer"? It's the guy/gal who comes out with ice when an athlete has an injury.

Also, I'm not saying that there isn't a bunch of garbage in this forum, but if you pay attention to the posts from the f13 regulars you will learn a lot. The shitty stuff on this form primarily comes from people outside of the S&C community.

Craxie is correct that calories in/calories out is the single most important part of successfully gaining or losing weight.

Back