Rebuilding MMA from the ground up

Lose the punching, kicking, grappling, one on one and cage - replace it with a football field, a football, two teams and 4 quarters.

All fights involving lay-and-pray and wall-and-stall are automatically scored as a draw.

You gotta have some sort of tag team thing like the WWE has. It might be great for fights where there are guys with questionable gas tank. Imaging getting the first 2 minutes of 205 Rumble or Romero where he can just blitz away. Or Shane Carwin blowing his wad and when he gets tired, he can tap in another guy. Then that guy can come in and exert incredible energy until he gets tired. You will have some explosive action in there and probably more finishes.

Would that be elimination tag, or would it be once one guy goes down, his entire team is eliminated?

Judging JudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudging JudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudging JudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudging JudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudging JudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudging JudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudgingJudging

Those damn slick pleather gloves cutting people up. All fighters to have surgery to file down and sand the bones in forearm and elbows to a 32 finish to reduce splitting of noses and wigs. Removal of all funny bones.

Emphasis on who a fighter has beaten and no fixation/obsession on the fighter's record.

Parity for two competitors. If you're fighting the champ you shouldn't have a day job and be new to training full time.

More time between rounds. Better o2 recovery, less brain damage, more time for cutmen to do their magic, more energy and action in later rounds, and more chance to absorb advice from corner. Between rd 3 and 4 should have at least an additional full minute.

Ditch PPV event model. It limits production too much.

Measure and publish stats about fighters physical attributes, similar to the NFL combine. Don't bullshit the stats either.

Refs need to be held accountable for mistakes and need quality training.

Not really sure what from the ground up means, but some changes I'd like

Ideally one round fights with either no time limit, or like a 15-20 minute limit. 25-30 minute limit for championship fights.

"Day Of" weigh ins. No more day before. 50% purse fine if you can't make weight. No wins. Either you lose, or you draw (a win for you counts as a draw), if the weigh ins are day of, this really shouldn't even be a factor.

Champions have to fight twice a year (not necessarily a calendar year; just from whenever they won the title.) Stripped if they don't defend it.

No Decisions/Judges - If the fight goes to the time limit, its a draw. Champs retain belt on draws.

Other minor things like which strikes are allowed I'd change, but nothing that would really rebuild it from the ground up.

No I wouldn't go that far with low blows at least not yet.

I don't like automatic points off for anything but nut shots seem to be impacting fights more than anything else. No numbers to back it up but I feel like fights are stopped for nut shots much more often than for eye pokes.

I don't like automatic points off for anything but nut shots seem to be impacting fights more than anything else. No numbers to back it up but I feel like fights are stopped for nut shots much more often than for eye pokes.

Yeah my problem with that is most nut shots do seem somewhat accidental. And they do have cups to offer some protection. I don't need to name names but there are guys who seem to be blatantly cheating and gouging eyes on purpose to gain an advantage.

The eyes are extremely sensitive and if a fighter lost an eye or was blinded his/her career would be over. It also seriously impacts the fighter who is poked for the rest of the bout and they essentially have to finish the fight with one good eye.

I don't like automatic points off either but unfortunately at this point it seems to be the only way to stop it from happening. I think waiting for someone to be blinded and fix the problem after is stupid. This needs to be fixed now. There would be a bit of an adjustment period and I'm sure people would bitch about point deductions but eventually the fighters would stop sticking their fingers in peoples eyes if they were penalized for it. Right now there absolutely no deterrent so of course they'll do it.

Sudden death rounds...where people actually die.

jbbulletproof.gif

I like it; & WMMA: be performed in the nude, beauty & lesbian themes STRONGLY encouraged. Breast implants < B-

Last edited:
You make a thread titled "Rebuilding MMA from the ground up" and your number 1 suggestion is....smoother gloves to reduce cuts?

Do you know what rebuilding something from the ground up means?

chuck-norris-approve.gif

Not really sure what from the ground up means, but some changes I'd like

Ideally one round fights with either no time limit, or like a 15-20 minute limit. 25-30 minute limit for championship fights.

"Day Of" weigh ins. No more day before. 50% purse fine if you can't make weight. No wins. Either you lose, or you draw (a win for you counts as a draw), if the weigh ins are day of, this really shouldn't even be a factor.

Champions have to fight twice a year (not necessarily a calendar year; just from whenever they won the title.) Stripped if they don't defend it.

No Decisions/Judges - If the fight goes to the time limit, its a draw. Champs retain belt on draws.

Other minor things like which strikes are allowed I'd change, but nothing that would really rebuild it from the ground up.
Agree 100%, but wont happen. UFC has & will become more difficult to watch. Pride was head & shoulders above UFC, made UFC seem like King of the Cage.

Back