Reasons why Bellator PPV is still worth it

Slongkong

Brown Belt
Reaction score
BellatorMMA's inaugural pay per view took a hit as Eddie Alvarez was forced out of his scheduled title defense bout against LW kingpin Michael Chandler. Yet with the loss the PPV still remains a really good card. Word has come out that Volkov vs Ivanov has been bumped up to the PPV making this an even more exciting card. I'll lay out the reasoning bout by bout

Main Event: Rampage vs King Mo. It's a grude match years in the making. This fight had to happen. It's one of the biggest LHW fights that can be made in Bellator and MMA in general. It should have happened years ago but couldn't it's one of the biggest just cause the history behind it and they are name fighters on win streaks. It certainly lost some of its excitement over the years but it's happening now like it should have a while ago.

Co-main event: Interim LW Title Fight Michael Chandler vs Will Brooks- Michael Chandler is top 4 LW in the world right now. You can argue to place him anywhere from 1-4 in the world, there's no denying it. Where his place is, is up to debate but he is one of the very best and a very exciting fighter. Will Brooks is a serious prospect. He isn't on Chandlers level I don't think but he has some serious wins on his record and only one defeat. He wrestled his way through the tourney just to secure the title shot. Not the best way to make fans but it worked. He posses all the tools needed to excel in this sport, He'll put up a fight, but Ultimately it's Michael fuckin Chandler we're talking about here so expect some beautiful destruction.

Alexander Shlemenko vs Tito Ortiz: Like it or not Tito is a draw, he fights everyone he's a legend, even with all his recent losses in the UFC they have all been on PPV. You guys ate it up too. He's strictly a PPV guy in Bellator as well. Storm is one of the best fighters in the world in ANY weight division. He's the face of Russian MMA right now. You think of top Russian fighters you think him, Fedor, Minakov, ect. But when Fedor retired he passed the torch to Storm.

This fight is interesting because storms weakest point is his TDD. He has good BJJ but against elite wrestlers he's susceptible to be put on his back. This is a three round fight and Storm is a small MW and giving up a lot of weight, theres a good chance tito can grind out a decision if need be, which brings up a lot of intrigue. That said in his Interview for whatever reason Tito thinks he can strike with Storm and with his recent stoppage losses due to body strikes and that being Storms forte this could get ugly.

HW Final: Alexander Volkov vs Blagoi Ivanov- It's HW action, everybody loves to see it for whatever reason. Blagoi has an incredible story, He defeated PRIME Fedor in Sambo, afterwards he was stabbed in the heart and lungs by some punk guys from the streets and was was supposed to die, was in a coma lost an incredible amount of muscle, and weight and somehow survived got up and walking again and wanted to get right back in the cage. He is still undefeated with wins over UFC/Strikeforce vet Lavar Johnson, and former Bellator HW #1 contender Rich Hale. Blagoi is a top 15 HW in the world right now. His opponent Former Bellator HW champion Alexander Volkov. The man has crazy power. He's a top 10 HW in the world right now he can really beat anybody. This will be an insane fight it's can't miss must watch MMA!

and the final bout which doesn't get enough credit Michael "Venom' Page vs Ricky Rainey. You wanna talk about Matt Brown vs Eric Silva? That's it right here. Both incredible strikers. Ricky Rainey was highly touted an amazing striker and really improving his all around game. His only losses are to johnny buck and a bs split decision to Dheigo Lima. (It should be noted he was destroying Buck but got cocky and got caught. he has learned a lot from that fight destroying all his opponents since) Ricky Rainey is extremely confident and ready to bang training with wonderboy to prepare for the awkward and explosive striking of 'MVP". 'Venom' is a kickboxing champ and has mastered a lot of martial arts. He's a highly touted prospect out of London and has destroyed people with his nasty striking and insane power. He can hit you from anywhere, it has bangfest written all over it. These are two of the best prospects and strikers at 170lbs right now. It's going to be a crazy fight!

Any true MMA fan will see the actual worth in this card. It was PPV worthy even when eddie dropped out bumping up Volkov vs Ivanov just put it over the top, just about as exciting as the original card. Plus there's some great fights on the spike prelims you are getting for free. Excellent fights, excellent value, much lower than any UFC ppv and not watered down

I personally don't believe it's PPV worthy.

For me to consider it PPV worthy it has to have the #1 person from a weightclass fighting preferably a top 10 from the same weightclass. Then at least 2 or 3 more top ranked fighters.

Based on scorecard this is where they sit.
Main Event
Top 15 vs Top 20
Co-Main
Top 10 vs Top 25
Top 10 (mw) vs Unranked at LHW
Top 25 vs Top 25
Unranked vs Unranked

It's ppv worthy, imo. Alvarez vs Chandler was a huge selling point for a lot of people, however. I personally like first fights more than re/three-matches.

Replacing Jolly v Brooks with Volkov v Ivanov is a HUGE improvement.

If it weren't in a month during UFC 173 and Mayweather, I'd probably buy it.

Alvarez/Chandler is really what made this card ppv worthy. Unless its cheap... I'll save my money.

I disagree and yet I am still a "real mma fan."
-Beyond over the hill Tito always considered a very big LHW taking on a smallish MW.
-Rampage and Mo is just two personalities, remember the "heat" between Rampage and Rashad and what a barn burner that fight was? I see a similar fight with those 2.
- how is it not up for debate that Chandler is a top 4 lightweight. Pettis, Bendo, Alvarez, Melendez, Thomson, Khabib, Nate Diaz, just off the top of my head all rank higher than Chandler in many people's opinion.

I agree it's worthwhile, it lost it's exclamation point, but all 5 fights are now exciting to me (as opposed to 4 of the 5). I honestly couldn't tell you the last time a MMA PPV had me interested in all 5 fights either.

Rampage-Mo: "It should have happened years ago but couldn't it's one of the biggest just cause the history behind it and they are name fighters on win streaks."

King Mo is on a huge one fight win streak.

A tournament final that was just going to air on free TV 2 days ago puts the PPV "over the top"? Nah, sorry.

It's a good card, but it's worth $30 on PPV at most.

Outside of the wild exaggerations and unfounded rhetoric in the op this card is not $45 value.

As it stands now only the ME is of any interest to me for the "history of it". Both are shot and have looked less then serviceable as of late. The HW final is nice but I wouldn't pay for it.

I probably wouldn't have paid for the ppv before the injury. I would have went somewhere to watch it. As if stands now I wouldn't even do that much and will catch it when they eventually rebroadcast it on free tv.

I have never bought a TV pay-per-view so have no familiarity with them. Do they allow refunds before the event, particularly if the content changes? Does anyone ever lower the price of a pay-per-view if the content changes from what was originally set?

there is nothing on this card worth paying money to watch.

Chandler/Alverez was the only fight I wanted to see, and I still wouldn't pay PPV money for it.

King Mo will destroy a rampage that's just looking for a paycheck.

Tito will probably lose, and then say he was just fighting with half a leg or something. He just blew it out right before this fight

Viators street team working overtime on the forums I see....

I honestly dont believe most UFC ppvs are worth it, this card not even close. What maybe one top 10 ranked fighter and praying the legacy of Tito and Rampage brings in the viewers even though they 10 years past their primes

It's ppv worthy, imo. Alvarez vs Chandler was a huge selling point for a lot of people, however. I personally like first fights more than re/three-matches.

Replacing Jolly v Brooks with Volkov v Ivanov is a HUGE improvement.

Even though Ivanov/Volkov was already on the card? How is that a huge improvement? That was the one fight I was looking forward to on the prelims to the point where if I had enjoyed that one fight enough I may have bought the card. Now I don't even plan on watching the prelims.

Bouts with washed up former UFC fighters who havn't looked good in years and a replacement fight for an interim title? This card isn't even worth 5 bucks.

I'm sick of this whole WWE promotion between fighters where they act like they don't like eachother to sell the fight. They're just going to hug after and tell eachother everythings cool, lol. Any person with half a brain can see through this false sense of conflict outside of the competitive nature of the sport. It's a farce.

This event wasn't even worth much when Alverez vs Chandler was happening, now it's not worth the dimes and nickles in my couch.

Chandler vs Brooks is a weak replacement for Chandlar vs Alvarez.

Tito vs Storm and Rampage vs Mo are only draws in the same way WWE are a draw.

Volkov vs Ivanov is the best fight on this card imo, both fairly young and promising HW prospects.

This event wasn't even worth much when Alverez vs Chandler was happening, now it's not worth the dimes and nickles in my couch.

How many UFC pay-per-views did you spend 55 bucks on the last 12 months?

Even though Ivanov/Volkov was already on the card? How is that a huge improvement? That was the one fight I was looking forward to on the prelims to the point where if I had enjoyed that one fight enough I may have bought the card. Now I don't even plan on watching the prelims.

I knew you were going to say that.

Bouts with washed up former UFC fighters who havn't looked good in years and a replacement fight for an interim title? This card isn't even worth 5 bucks.

I'm sick of this whole WWE promotion between fighters where they act like they don't like eachother to sell the fight. They're just going to hug after and tell eachother everythings cool, lol. Any person with half a brain can see through this false sense of conflict outside of the competitive nature of the sport. It's a farce.

The only valid thing about this post is the BS hype portion. That is what MMA fans get when they buy Evans v Page in huge numbers because of the weird crap they did. I facepalmed at how well that sold, and knew what it would lead to, it lead to stuff like this.

Also, Chandler v Brooks should not be for a title. It's a great fight, and more realistic as a non-title fight.

This card IS STILL as good as some UFC ppvs, so if you don't pay for more than 2 UFC ppvs a year, then maybe what you are saying makes sense. But it isn't a terrible card.

Back