Rear Hand Position

nottingham90

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
After watching fight the past weekend I just happen to focus on the positioning on the fighters rear hands and notice (obviously) they're all in different places.

What do you think is the best and what/when/why for each position???

Some examples

floydmayweather.jpg
mike-tyson-guard.jpg
350px-Alvarez_8e14ee.jpg
Roy_Jones_Jr_Photo.jpg

Small thing but for sure serves a purpose to your next action. what do yous think?

I kept my rear hand like Canelo. Upper shoulder/lower chin height. Ready to throw that left at any moment while able to parry shots and such.

They all work if you can make them work. Depends on what works for you. I like to switch them up depending

Most of the pictures have guys holding it in the "proper" position of it being on slope of the jaw. Floyd likes his in that position so you jab it, and Roy just did whatever the hell he felt like because he was not a technical boxer and just relied on being from the Matrix.

Who is in the first picture? His is held pretty high which is better against hooks. His style might explain that, or it might be an action shot.

By the way, that shot of Tyson is very intimidating.

That first one is Cotto. The picture is slightly misleading is that no one, including him held like that THE WHOLE FIGHT. Cotto usually put up like when he needs to, kind of like Canelo.

I think those pictures are not good representations of how those fighters hold their hands for most of the fight, except maybe floyd.

I think those pictures are not good representations of how those fighters hold their hands for most of the fight, except maybe floyd.

You're right, Roy should be leaning forward with his hands at his knees.

I pretty much hold my hands like canelo, and it's pretty common (at my level of boxing at least) to see the good competitors with similar hand positioning.
The exception is many of the boxers in Ireland from a traveller background, much more so if they have a bare knuckle background who hold their hands more like Mike Tyson but not quite as square. The two hands are often very close together near the chin. Dunno if you can see below in some of the images. It's an interesting discrepancy in style and you'll sometimes be able to tell an Irish Traveller boxer in the ring without knowing his name or background (at local level rather than Elite level) because of it.
hqdefault.jpg

Gypsy-Blood-True-Stoies-007.jpg

Most of the pictures have guys holding it in the "proper" position of it being on slope of the jaw. Floyd likes his in that position so you jab it, and Roy just did whatever the hell he felt like because he was not a technical boxer and just relied on being from the Matrix.

Who is in the first picture? His is held pretty high which is better against hooks. His style might explain that, or it might be an action shot.

By the way, that shot of Tyson is very intimidating.

Roy was technical as f*ck. Simply because he took advantage of his natural gifts doesn't mean he was not technical. All the core Pensicola fighters under Roy Sr. were technical as all get out, because Big Roy is really, really smart/technical...

I generally keep mine within a few inches of my chin. Sometimes a little below, sometimes right on it, sometimes resting on the side. I use it actively to parry and feint from a relaxed position, but will bring it up higher if I'm gonna circle towards the left hand of my opponent. If I'm throwing punches though, it's more likely to be about chest level. When I slip left, I extend it a little just to show it to them.

Roy was technical as f*ck. Simply because he took advantage of his natural gifts doesn't mean he was not technical. All the core Pensicola fighters under Roy Sr. were technical as all get out, because Big Roy is really, really smart/technical...

He had good mechanics and is clearly very knowledgeable, but he never really fought "properly" and over-relied on his speed and reflexes. Once those faded, he was completely useless in the ring. He was on an episode of Pros vs Joes (stupid show where everyday guys tried to compete with pro athletes) and the game was 'try to hit Roy'. Roy got lit up, it wasn't challenging at all for the guy to hit him. That's a little bit of a weird example because Roy wasn't allowed to hit back, but even beginning boxing students can make themselves almost completely unhittable since they are never attacking and leaving holes.

He had good mechanics and is clearly very knowledgeable, but he never really fought "properly" and over-relied on his speed and reflexes. Once those faded, he was completely useless in the ring. He was on an episode of Pros vs Joes (stupid show where everyday guys tried to compete with pro athletes) and the game was 'try to hit Roy'. Roy got lit up, it wasn't challenging at all for the guy to hit him. That's a little bit of a weird example because Roy wasn't allowed to hit back, but even beginning boxing students can make themselves almost completely unhittable since they are never attacking and leaving holes.

I just disagree with calling Roy "not Technical". His footwork, angles, and punch mechanics are really, really technical. He was almost entirely technical in regards to unorthodox theory. Big Roy, like I said, was a very smart fellow. His style is really technical, almost to an extreme. (I have more than a few of his fighters in my gym. They're a generation or 2 removed, as in their father trained with Roy SR. But I get a lot of that style and its theory coming through here...)

I think the description you guys are trying to give Roy was that he wasn't textbook. Not "not technical".

I blame Rogan for calling every fighter that doesn't have his hands at his waist "a very crisp, technical fighter".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back