1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Really bad headaches during/after burpees

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Todd Gack, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

I seem to be getting some REALLY nasty headaches during and after my burpee sessions. Today in particular I was going pretty hard, my HR was around 180 bpm and I started to feel some strain at the nape of my neck. Soon after the pain moved to the top of my head and I was forced to stop and lay down. I still feel it even now and if I bend over it gets worse.

Anybody else suffer from this? How did you remedy it?

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Where are the headaches exactly? I know that I get stress headaches some times and what the doc told me was that it's muscles on my neck pulling on those around my head (over my left eye and temple for me), and causing pain. Yours aren't triggered by stress, but it sounds like the same thing. Some Ibuprofen when you feel one coming (or in your case maybe 20-30 minutes before you do burpees) on and a heating pad on the neck seems to help me.

3. Wolverine

Wolverine Green Belt

I pretty much get the same problem. Ibuprofen takes care of it though sometimes I hesitate to use it.

Wolverine
    ///

4. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

It hurts on the top of my head.

5. physicaltherapy

physicaltherapy Blue Belt

blood pressure problems?

6. ratfacedkid

ratfacedkid Purple Belt

Once during push-ups I had a severe headache. So bad I had to lay down and I thought I was going to pass out. It got so bad I swore I was having an aneuryism. The pain was right at the top of my head too. After about 15 minutes I managed to get up and went to the doctor. He said that I tensed up the muscles in my neck that traveled up to the back of myhead. It is really surprising how far those muscles travel up your skull. I ended up being alright and nothing more came of it. You may be tensing the muscles in your neck while doing the push-up portion of the burpees and that is causing the pain. Otherwise, you probably have an aneurysim and you'll be dead as soon as the blood fills up a good portion of your head. Let's hope for the former.

7. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

I'm sticking with my theory about the muscles in your neck pulling on those extending across your skull. short of seeking real medical attention, I say take some ibuprofen before doing burpees, put a heating pad on your neck afterwards.

8. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

i get a similar pain sometimes as well. especially if i've been sitting for a long time, then go to training, i get the pain when i stretch out. basically, the muscles are cramped, then are resisting the stretching. happens when i do mountain climbers as well. along with what urban said about the advil and heat, i also massage my neck before starting. sometimes even just light jogging causes blurry vision and dizzyness. so i just roll my shoulders for a bit, then massage my neck, usually works well.

9. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

This is exactly what happened to me, I could feel the strain in my neck but my head was hurting so bad that I couldn't even pay attention to the pain in my neck.