Realistic matches to make after Money/Canelo PPV

Diamond Jim

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Lets start with Floyd:

1) Winner of Amir Kahn/Devon Alexander. I'm thinking GB is praying that one of these fighters stand out with a impressive win to justify a payday with Money May. If Kahn wins he brings a large international audience which drives numbers. Has speed but no way would this fight be competitive and no way is this happening outside Vegas IMO contrary to the Wembly stadium reports. If Alexander picks up an impressive win against Kahn he'd be riding some momentum with wins against Matthysse(maybe got the hometown decision), Maidana, and Bailey. He doesn't bring a big following so ppv numbers would drop big time. He has speed and is a southpaw. Again Floyd schools him IMO.

2. Cotto rematch. Cotto found some success with Floyd in their fight but Money clearly won the later rounds and fight. Cotto lost to Trout killing a Canelo fight that would've been huge. Cotto now under Freddie Roach will fight Rodriguez Oct 5th. If we see a great performance under Roach's training I could see GB could putting this together.

3. Sergio Martinez. Probably a long shot considering his relationship with HBO but Lou Dibella could put this fight together if the money is worth pissing HBO off. Dibella said himself he wouldn't put Sergio in there with Golovkin after the surgery Martinez just had. How many fights does the older Sergio have left? Could take a big payday and walk away.

For Canelo.

1. Carlos Molina. Nice rebound fight worthy of a good Showtime card. Molina beating Smith gained a 154lb belt that could be a quick road back to the gold for Canelo.

2. Cotto/Rodriguez winner. GB was planning for that Cotto fight but Austin Trout ended that. Cotto with a win could put on a big card together with Canelo.

Danny Garcia

1. Matthysse rematch or move to WW. Garcia all but cleaned out the 140lb division barring the top rank fighters so won't waste my time with those names. Matthysse provided a good fight and could use the eye injury to justify a second fight.

2. If not Danny should jump to WW where he can fight the winner of Broner/Maidana or Guerrero.

Matthysse

1. The above mentioned Garcia rematch.

2. A Zab rematch on a Showtime card.

If Garcia leaves the jr WW division Matthysse would find himself on top of a division with good Top rank guys he can't fight.

Thoughts or suggestions? Hard to find a competitive fight for Floyd after that last performance. Whoever he fights will be heavy underdog.

Mayweather has really cleared out all of the interesting challengers... I can't get to excited about any of those matchups

Amir "Glass Jaw" Khan would get his glass jaw shattered vs Money Mayweather.

I'd like to see Broner vs Garcia and Mayweather vs Pacman.

Garcia has a lot of good matchups, I hope they don't feed him to Floyd. They should build up him more.

It's gotta be Danny for Floyd in may IMO. Mayweather vs Alexander would do horrible numbers n be a boring fight. Khan brings money and excitement but nobody is gonna give a shot. Nobody will give Danny a shot to beat Floyd and knocked out khan. If Lara can get a fight with Someone like Trout and beat him, I think that's a good match up at 154. Lara is a good puncher and an excellent boxer. Will be bigger and maybe evan faster then Floyd. Canelo should try to get Cotto back over at Showtime after miguel beats Rodriguez in a few weeks from now. Lucas should try to fight Broner at ww.

Amir "Glass Jaw" Khan would get his glass jaw shattered vs Money Mayweather.

I was just thinking amir khan + a slap left hook (like the one used against Hatton) = first KO Mayweather had ever since Ortiz.

@OP: dunno about Mayweather (I mean, who really is there for him right now? Should he really move upwards for Sergio at this stage of his career?)

Canelo vs GGG will be good :icon_lol:...If not, then the Cotto/Canelo that was originally planned or Canelo/Molina like someone else said (to get Canelo back on track)

Matthysse and Garcia need to fight each other again. Then, we will have their dads face off just for the lols (or maybe Robert's dad vs Gracia's :))

I don't want to see Khan anywhere near Floyd till at least he beats Alexander.

The way he acts and is talking right now he wants it now and all them $$$

He doesn't even deserve it at the moment.

If pacquiao shows some semblance on not being done against Rios and is impressive , that's a legitimate if. An even bigger IF is Top Rank being bending to Floyd's will and finally making this happen.

Being a Big Pacquiao fan , I know this is a terrible match up for him, he would leave Floyd way too many openings that Mayweather would exploit, but for Event's sake this is one of the Last Big Money match ups for Floyd that hasn't or more likely never going to happen.

Yeah I don't really have too much interest in anyone at this point. Name wise if Bradley beats Marquez he'd be ideal but there's all the issues with HBO/Showtime and all that shit.

Maybe Khan can blow me away against Alexander, but there's nobody I would pay 75 bucks to see lose to Floyd right now.

With Floyd I dont see to many options That fans really want. Danny or Bradley for me deserve it.

With Canelo, he has some awesome fights out there. GGG, JCC jr. Those are some that I want to see right off the top of my head

Cotto rematch is a joke.

No way Sergio fights below 154. He is old and can't cut weight.

Only one fight I want to see before PBF retires and it's PAC.

Canelo vs Martinez
Canelo vs Cotto
Canelo vs Lara

Garcia vs Broner
Garcia vs Guerrero
Garcia vs Kahn rematch (if he beat Alex)

Floyd vs ... .. I hate to say that he has no rival.

I can see Canelo vs Molina in Texas early next year for sure, its probably the only favorable fight for him right now against the top five, Canelo vs Cotto would be a toss up IMO

Sergio would be too heavy for Floyd unless Floyd agrees to let Martinez weigh in @ 154 which would be insane

Garcia, Bradley, Alexander/Khan and Pacquiao. I also wouldn't mind seeing Mayweather face off against Erislandy Lara but at this point I don't think it would be profitable on a business scale or make sense to Mayweather but boxing wise it may be an interesting matchup.

What about Golovkin for either?

His team has said many times that he can make 154.

There may be some dollars and cents issues regarding money draw and tv contracts, especially for a Mayweather fight, but that is the most interesting fight for my money.

The Pacquiao ship sailed quite a while ago in my opinion.

id still like to see floyd vs manny and honestly i think that's the biggest payday floyd could get still

better than anything else on that list and manny would have little pressure and go for a highlight KO

Be realistic in your choices. With Floyd getting record pay days he and show time will no longer be matching him with non-mainstream names ala Ghost.

No mw's since 154 is max for Floyd.

Only four realistic names in any order are Khan(uk draw), Garcia 140lb King, Bradley two American undefeated fighters, and the biggest money fight in boxing - Pacman.

Back