real talk, who is the most active UFC champion in term of title defense

NOT Anthony Pettis or Cain Velasquez. It feels like they defend their belts like once every two years. I know it's more often than that but it just seems like AGES go by between their fights.

DJ and Ronda. You can hate on Ronda all you want but you have to give her credit for always wanting to fight.

She'll fight anyone....she chooses. Haha I'm jk :) she's beast and is very active.

Worst is easily Pettis, guy never gets healthy enough to defend it.

Dominick Cruz?

The most active overall has to be Jon Jones, but lately Ronda has been defending her belt every three months

Does that matter? Pettis never heals from anything. Possibly be a whole year since he won the belt and hasn't defended it. That's frustrating for me as a FAN of the sport.

yes it is. What can you do though? Have a guy win the belt, get injured, strip him, then have another title fight (prob with one fighter who just lost to the champ, cough hendricks cough) and then the former champ is back again from the injury to fight for the title again? All within a year or so? That'd be a bit off as well.

And in the meantime lets say a huge ppv draw in another weight class wins a belt, gets injured but ufc doesn't want to strip the big money draw and then they start using two different sets of rules and well - they just can't be consistent with anything it seems, so this could be a bigger mess than letting nature sort it out.

yes it is. What can you do though? Have a guy win the belt, get injured, strip him, then have another title fight (prob with one fighter who just lost to the champ, cough hendricks cough) and then the former champ is back again from the injury to fight for the title again? All within a year or so? That'd be a bit off as well.

And in the meantime lets say a huge ppv draw in another weight class wins a belt, gets injured but ufc doesn't want to strip the big money draw and then they start using two different sets of rules and well - they just can't be consistent with anything it seems, so this could be a bigger mess than letting nature sort it out.

why not strip him? Just bleed fans lining up with pitchforks and torches to lynch Jones and strip him even tho he just defended last month

rousey is one of the most active champs to defend the title. that's real talk.

why not strip him? Just bleed fans seem eager to lynch Jones and strip him even tho he just defended last month

it's the marketing. They spent money on a Fox show or a PPv to market a fight that their new champ won. Well, all that's gone now that we have runner up #1 and runner up #2 vying for the top spot, for about 6 months anyway, until the champ gets back, but...

...you know one of those challengers will get injured in the meantime and then pettis would come back and have to fight a fringe top ten to stay in shape, then he gets hurt after that then the other champ is finally back but then his friend commits suicide or goes on Rogans podcast, then it starts all over again...

Barao would have been. 3 title fights in 8 months.

Ronda or DJ would be next.

Then Aldo Jones.

then Weidman and Hendricks

then Pettis and Cain

Cain is worse than Pettis.

Its close but Cain fights less.

He does seem very injury prone but in terms of title defenses he's basically new.

Thats like saying Chris Weidman doesn't defend his belt much either.

A lot of the champs are new, so there's only a few real options here. If arbitrarily making the cut-off january 2013, we get the following list of the established champions:

Aldo - 3
Johnson - 3
Jones - 3
Rousey -3
Cain - 2

It's pretty even, especially considering Cain has rehabbed a pretty bad injury during this time.

Of Pettis and Weidman, the two champs that took their belt in 2013, Pettis is clearly lagging due to the injury, while Weidman at least has one title defense. Barao was very active with four attempted defenses during this period, but just dropped of the list of candidates.

I'm talking about the canonical divisions, ie LW to HW

no this manlet division and WMMA stuff
You asked a good question, then shitted it up with the second line. Everyone is politely ignoring that second line and pretending you're clever.

Be grateful.

DJ_Dodson_2_m1l1b3yh_7wj6mf6x.gif
7.gif
oRM9VCp.gif

Aww, look at the little fellas, how cute.

He does seem very injury prone but in terms of title defenses he's basically new.

Thats like saying Chris Weidman doesn't defend his belt much either.

Valid point but Weidman will average a defense every 6 months when(if) he fights Machida next month. Pettis will be well over a year since I totally forgot he is doing TUF so that puts him at end of the year/early next year by the time he defends the belt, around 18 months.

God the hate for the lower weight classes is still strong. Stupidity and bigotry. Some of you guys just can't accept that a guy that cuts to 125 is a better athlete than you and could whip your ass. Or they don't like the fact they would get beat up by a woman.

So insecure.

Pacman, Donaire, Mayweather, Marquez and Provodnikov all fight below 155 and they're some of the best and most exciting in the boxing business.

On the actual topic, I'd say as of right now DJ, Ronda or Jones as the most active.

Is it me or do people with 'real talk' in their thread titles end up being idiots?

Who is teaching speds this phrase?

Back