real reason why Dana booked HW interim fight

why did he need until september? he fought in march and took zero damage. I dont think he was going to fight in september at all, his management is just saying that to save face. ngannou even says in that video he's still waiting to see if jon jones will be ready. he was clearly trying to sit out for jones imo
I don't know. Being injured isn't the only reason someone can't fight though either. September would be 6 months from when he won the belt which is normal for a new champion's first defense.

I have to wonder if scheduling conflicts like this are because of fighters needing time to have certain chemicals out of their bloodstream
This, he said he could fight one month later than they asked. That is when the interim title match got announced. They wanted Lewis to fight in Houston for the belt and that event is a month too soon for Ngannou. So they set up a interim title match between Lewis and Gane.

I have to wonder if scheduling conflicts like this are because of fighters needing time to have certain chemicals out of their bloodstream

It could have also been a death of a friend or family member or a pre planned trip that he made before he was asked or any number of things.

All we know is that the UFC asked him to fight in August, he said he couldn't and then told them he could fight in September but he's not going to fight till much later because his next opponent is fighting in August.

Francis is on the road to being stripped.

After the Interim Championship Fight -- if Ngannou keeps being difficult about getting back into the Octagon, he'll get stripped like GDR.

#theshowmustgoon

After winning the belt? He thinks he is Conor, come with 5 quick defences and Francis can be GOAT

the guy is one of the most exciting ko artists we’ve seen in a log time. And he’s a hw murderer. He should be a huge star. You don’t make an interim title because you want a fight a month earlier than the champ does.

ufc titles and interims are pointless and or worthless.

Volkanovski can't defend the title for 16 months
Nothing happens

Ngannou can't defend the title for 4 months
Awwwww hell no! We need 10 interim belts for everyone!

UFC Logic
<Y2JSmirk>

he has no right to pick and choose opponents with 0 zero defenses

if he keeps that attitude then he wont be fighting this year
He does actually.

YOU have no right to pick and choose his opponents or decide what is best for him or his career.

"If he keeps that attitude.. "
Are you gonna ground him?
No tv for a week?
Send him to bed without supper?

Ngannou was avoiding Black Beast 2 fight. Now that Gane has a good chance of beating Lewis, Ngannou is starting to give conflicting statements.

He does actually.

YOU have no right to pick and choose his opponents or decide what is best for him or his career.

No tv for a week?

They’ll strip him if he refuses to fight the Interim Champ in a unification fight. That will include Francis slow rolling or stalling negotiations moving forward.

Dana is on the move, whilst Team Ngannou sleeps…

the guy is one of the most exciting ko artists we’ve seen in a log time. And he’s a hw murderer. He should be a huge star. You don’t make an interim title because you want a fight a month earlier than the champ does.

ufc titles and interims are pointless and or worthless.
I am sure there is more to this, something must have gone on behind the scenes to piss Dana off. Francis demanding outrageous sums maybe? It was arounf the time he tweeted about YouTubers getting paid more.

I rate Francis, the way he dealt with Stipe and that sprawl was so perfect. When I saw that, I realised no one at HW will beat him.

But I am assuming he has gotten ahead of himself, and making silly demands. All he had to do was go out at KO a couple more guys, and he would be set.

Maybe I am wrong, who knows.

this dude out here chilling with billionaires in dubai, here in the video he says he will fight sometimes next year

Dana wasnt gonna let him keep the belt hostage for a year, specially after what DC and Stipe did for the last 4 years.

that's BS.
From what we know from the media, Francis agreed to fight in September.
Dana just wants to create a belt for Gane, much like he did Conor when Aldo got injured.

there was no need for an interim belt. But Dana wanted to advertise Conor as champion, so they made Mendes & Conor for an interim belt.

Last edited:
Why couldn’t he defend 5 months after taking no damage winning the belt? Stipe did it in 4 months. Now it’s going to be what.. 9+ months for his first defence??

Active champ, my ass.

Trying to play Ngannou and Stipe against each other when they've both been fucked around by the UFC is asinine.

Sure does seem like the smart move after Nunes fell off cause that card would have to be cancelled.

think they'll see this more going forward with UFC's guaranteed ESPN PPV money.

These shows are gonna go on and if champs cant/wont fight on dates UFC needs they'll find someone who will.

He does actually.

No tv for a week?
eh no?
the champion needs to fight the no.1 contender
and ducking the fight against the guy he already lost is a very bad look for him.

people even clowned on usman when he picked to rematch masvidal AFTER he basically cleaned out the division

no matter how big of a fanboy you are of him, you have to admit that he or his management are doing some really bad decisions there
that will cost him in the future

Back