1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

real reason why Dana booked HW interim fight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by JAL, Jul 29, 2021.

1. JAL Purple Belt

this dude out here chilling with billionaires in dubai, here in the video he says he will fight sometimes next year

Dana wasnt gonna let him keep the belt hostage for a year, specially after what DC and Stipe did for the last 4 years.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  2. Mesos Black Belt

Ngannou has been living it up since he got belt. I had a feeling he was gonna sit out for a while and I was right lol. Didnt think Dana was gonna make an interim belt though but seems like he had no choice. Dana wants to keep the HW division moving, especially since alot of good talent available

3. Ironnik94 Silver Belt

I think you got that wrong.
    Ngannou doing these things is specifically due to this interim fight being made imo.

4. TempleoftheDog Black Belt

There’s your “active champ” Stipe detractors.

Meanwhile Stipe defended 4 months after winning the belt. And fought DC 5 months after fighting Ngannou. You try to lump in a year when he wasn’t even the champ into his stats. Then another year when he needed eye surgery, and many months of the original Covid lockdown into his stats to justify your ridiculous arguments that Stipe wasn’t an active champion.

Stipe haters are dishonest to the core.

5. TempleoftheDog Black Belt

Why couldn’t he defend 5 months after taking no damage winning the belt? Stipe did it in 4 months. Now it’s going to be what.. 9+ months for his first defence??

Active champ, my ass.

6. Raymundo Alvarado Guevara Purple Belt

7. Newtieg Brown Belt

Pretty sure the interim fight was booked because Dana got high and forgot there already was a HW Champ.

warriorsplay, SCTrojans and jeff7b9 like this.
  8. Fatback96 Black Belt

It’s probably because Ngannou thought he had leverage becoming a potential star and the Jones fight was inevitable. Dana trying to diminish Ngannou’s worth and act like he’s replaceable.

biscuitsbrah and chiefwiggum like this.
  9. ChangeIsComing Black Belt

Francis went from hungry contender to diva real fast...fuck him.

10. HNIC215 Semper Fidelis...

Fuck Dana…

I think Francis is starting to realize his potential at fighting and more importantly his star potential in and outside of the UFC.

If Dana keeps playing these games, expect Francis to fight out his contract in order to leave and make the big money in boxing.

As he should, he deserves to get paid.

11. Cauliflower Ear Banned Banned

After winning the belt? He thinks he is Conor, come with 5 quick defences and Francis can be GOAT

12. JoeRowe Green Belt

Yeah I laughed at his "I'm still on vacation celebrating my win" excuse in June, for not fighting in August.

Dude won the belt in March & needed 3 whole months to celebrate. Making a 5 month turnaround after he ate 1 punch vs Stipe just too hard.

Morax, iwantgsp, MyFavSport and 2 others like this.
  13. Doughie99 Silver Belt

Ngannou better just say "yes" to any and all future fights that Dana suggests. Already definitely some stress in that relationship for sure.

14. d2s Green Belt

Interim belt was made to sell tickets in Houston with Lewis as a headliner. UFC signed some sort of deal with the Toyota Center.

15. Satan's Daddy. Black Belt Platinum Member

If only ngannuo did some commentary desk work I'm sure Dana would allow Francis to sit out for the next two years tops before considering doing anything about it.

16. Brady2Moss2007 Yellow Belt

The entire HW division needs a makeover. Where the hell is the talent and depth?

I remember not that long ago we had guys like, Roy Nelson, Overeem, Big Nog, Werdum, Mark hunt, Bigfoot Silva, JDS, Frank Mir, Cain Velasquez.

The heavyweight division used to have so many exciting fights and rivalries back then. It's sad what this division looks like now.

Morax likes this.
  17. horseshoe_pass man Yellow Card Yellow Card

says in that video "if jon jones is not ready we're going to move on". so hes still sitting out waiting for jon jones

18. giovanni_ss Taeyeon Belt Staff Member Forum Moderator

Yep. Dana basically said in the recently UFC Arabia interview that they don't wanna miss out on the huge sales and sold out crowd in Houston. That's why they pretty much capitalized on putting a hometown fan fave Derrick Lewis in there and upping up the stakes by putting an interim belt on the line with it just to make it a bigger event and make people buy tickets.

19. dittohead84 Gold Belt

Wasn't he good to go in September originally?

amok attitude likes this.
  20. Coopervisor Orange Belt

I like the Lewis Gane fight, it's a fresh matchup, keeps the HW division churning. Then when the winner fights Nganou, they get more money because of the interim belt than they would've done if it was just a non-title no1 contender fight.

amok attitude likes this.