Real quick any boxing pointers i need help [vid]

slave

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
so yea i train boxing by myself and i used to train muay thai at a gym but i've been out of training for a year and a half now im getting back into it and tryin to brush up on technique. So heres a vid of me just doing some combo work, right off the bat i'd say im too close to the bag and im not moving in and out as I should and dropping my hands a lot. What I need help is with my foot work I need someone who knows what they're talking about not some internet douchebag to point out my errors your help is appreciated.

keep a steady 1-2 rhythm on the bag,wear shoes, twist your punches more your kinda pushing the bag, always bring your punches back to your face you had some punches where you dropped you hands,the faster you bring back a punch the faster your speed and power is, -Jesus X, boxing since I was 10
by twist your punches I mean this

you got good power on those hooks

don't hit the bag from too close, their are vids a youtube(I get mine from title boxing) that talk about the proper distance when hitting a heavy bag ,your punching power may actually be even greater than you think but you might not be extending/retracting you arm to it's full capacity due to hitting it from too close.

keep a steady 1-2 rhythm on the bag,wear shoes, twist your punches more your kinda pushing the bag, always bring your punches back to your face you had some punches where you dropped you hands,the faster you bring back a punch the faster your speed and power is, -Jesus X, boxing since I was 10
by twist your punches I mean this

you got good power on those hooks

don't hit the bag from too close, their are vids a youtube(I get mine from title boxing) that talk about the proper distance when hitting a heavy bag ,your punching power may actually be even greater than you think but you might not be extending/retracting you arm to it's full capacity due to hitting it from too close.

Thanks for the tips J X I know I seem to have a habit of not bringing my hands back to my face, my biggest problem is the distance and my foot work I don't have much reach so I tend to stay too close to the bag its a bad habit. I wasn't hitting with power you could see the bag was barely moving if i hit it with power I start losing my technique and getting sloppy so I just sort of tap the bag and work on my speed and technique no point anyways it's a small ass bag with a flimsy setup moves around like junk if I hit it hard. thanks for the heads up

You've got good speed and power, the only thing lacking is your technique and distancing. You were a bit close so when you pop out the jab make sure your arm is straight on contact so the jab snaps the bag and try to maintain that distance, obviously moving in a bit for hooks.
Other than that just add in a bit more lateral movement, in and out, side to side.
Keep up the good work man, hope this helped a bit (probably not LOL)

actually that's very good advice thank you much appreciated

As other people have said, it looks like you have good speed and power, and it is interesting that you chose footwork to look at for improving. IMHO, footwork is one of the most important things that people tend to over look. Good footwork (not fancy footwork) improves more things than I will spend time listing here. Personally, I think you may want to try this:

* Not sure if you were wearing handwraps, but, if you weren't, get yourself a good pair of 180" Mexican style wraps, and wear them every time you work the bag. Your hands will thank you for it in the long run. Trust me.

* It looks like you have room to get that bag off the stand, and ceiling mount it. Do it, so you can work around the bag, and remember "work the bag, don't let it work you."

* Check Youtube for some free footwork tutorials (everything from basic to advanced), just remember, there is a lot of crap on there also. Some of the stuff from Title Boxing that people put up is decent.

* Buy and set up a double end bag. They are cheap, and will improve your footwork, as well as your speed, timing, and accuracy.

**** Footwork puts you in range to correct a whole host of problems, from arm punches, getting in and out of range for throwing punches, avoiding taking punches, and getting the maximum out of your punches. Everything else can be great, but if footwork sucks, nothing will work like it should.

* Try using a double jab as a "ranging" punch. Once you are getting good hard pops on the bag, and your footwork is positioned so you are not over or under extending your reach, that will give you the proper distance, and then continue to use your footwork on a moving bag or target, to put you there.

* Try stepping in prior to throwing combos, and stepping back out or angling off when you are finished, and work your stance accordingly. Don't bounce up and down, it is totally fruitless. You can't throw and land a power punch, take a punch, or avoid a punch, when both feet are off the ground for that short period of time. A skilled opponent will pick up on any pattern to the timing you use to do it, and capitalize on it.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

:icon_chee

Last edited:
^ can't thank you enough for taking the time to post all that. Everything you posted makes 100 percent sense to me. Really good advice man thank you and thanks to everyone in this thread again you guys rule. Plenty of excellent information i need to soak up with time.

Looks good man. Pretty good speed and power combination. My two cents would be to make sure your head never gets out in front of your toes (that will help you to maintain a steady base and keep from throwing yourself off balance), and on that left hook wind up from shoulder level not the hip( guys are very likely to counter you with an over hand or straight right when you throw that punch from the hip) . The higher you can keep your hands the easier it will be to counter and parry punches. TRAIN INSANE OR REMAIN THE SAME. Stay strong brutha!

Fully extend on the jab and cross, and don't let the time in between your jab and cross be too long, it seemed like you were pausing after your jab to throw the cross.

^ can't thank you enough for taking the time to post all that. Everything you posted makes 100 percent sense to me. Really good advice man thank you and thanks to everyone in this thread again you guys rule. Plenty of excellent information i need to soak up with time.

Yeah, been a nice, informative thread.

Why dont you post another vid in 4-6 weeks time so we can see how your getting on??

Yeah, been a nice, informative thread.

Why dont you post another vid in 4-6 weeks time so we can see how your getting on??

I'll post another vid in a couple weeks for sure with muay thai and boxing thanks for the help everyone.

so yea i train boxing by myself and i used to train muay thai at a gym
Dude get your ass to a boxing coach. After a few months your hands will be much better than they will ever get training MT.

been a while still haven't managed to consistently train but i got a few days of training in here and there, made some slight improvements

i will post some kicks later

Back