"real" oatmeal vs. instant oatmeal in packets

Flounder

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is there any serious disadvantage or probelm with eating the flavored packets of instant oatmeal instead of the "real" oatmeal???

OK, its official: last month was rice, now January is oatmeal month.

It's finally oatmeal month, man I thought It'd never get here.

Try to eat it in it's most natural state, not from the field with the horses but not in a packet either.

The packets have loads of fillers and sugar. Best to eat the real thing.

why are so many people big fans of oatmeal? is it just for the carbs or is there some other nutritional reason to partake?

i made some the other day for the first time in years and i thought it was the most mucous-y thing i've ever had.

yeah, what bob said.

Get the real stuff and add real fruit to it. Packets are loaded with sugar.

And on a side note, I'm a huge idiot, I just now caught on to the three forward slashes being wolverines three blades...........god I'm dumb.

And bob, you're fucking ugly, wow!

That's a face only a hot model could love(que in angelina jolie and billy bob).

Extra sugar. So when I eat it I take one pack of plain and mix it with one pack of the sugary stuff. So I get only 1/2 the sugar. Works for me. Plus, don't go nuts with the sugar because its only around 11 grams or so. That is the same amount in your milk.

Tot@l_Recal| said:
And on a side note, I'm a huge idiot, I just now caught on to the three forward slashes being wolverines three blades...........god I'm dumb.

oh yeah....i thought it was just like his personalised calling card type thing

+1 to the dumb club

oh yeah, natural>>packet

brother shamus said:
why are so many people big fans of oatmeal? is it just for the carbs or is there some other nutritional reason to partake?

i made some the other day for the first time in years and i thought it was the most mucous-y thing i've ever had.

It fills you up, slow digesting, and are good carbs.

Honey and oatmeal with every breakfast. Add some Green tea that my girl mails me from Kagoshima (Japan) and you have the meal I have eaten for the past year. It tastes great and I feel fantastic the rest of the day.

On a side note...I have noticed that by eating this solid breakfast (I usually eat some fruit too...) I can eat junk more than I should and still stay in great shape. Not that you should eat junk food....

Oats come in basically 4 grades
milled oats - odds are you've never seen these.
Steel cut oats - Said to make the best oatmeal, but it can take an hour to make. This is irish oatmeal (brand name) or also refered to as pinhead oats
Rolled oats - Simply steel cut oats rolled out flat. Best for making granola, and makes mediocre oatmeal (takes about 5-10 minutes)
Instant oats - Rolled oats that have been rolled again. worst flavor, of any of these.

The oatmeal that comes in the packets is just instant oats, so the oats themselves are really not better or worse than the others (to my knowledge). You might want to concern yourself with the other contents of the packet (namely sugar). best just to buy a big container of rolled oats, a jar of honey, and some real fruit.

Its funny you mentioned the steel cut oats. I heard then talking about them on the radio yesterday, and headed to the supermarket for them. Fucking $7 a can for them. I'll stick with either instant oats or goold old fashioned quaker oats in the tube.

I usually put a teaspoon of strawberry jelly, or honey in my instant oats. It's pretty tasty and only takes a minute to make. The packets are loaded with other shit which pretty much defeats the purpose.

Flounder said:
Its funny you mentioned the steel cut oats. I heard then talking about them on the radio yesterday, and headed to the supermarket for them. Fucking $7 a can for them. I'll stick with either instant oats or goold old fashioned quaker oats in the tube.
Find a place that sells them in bulk (you know, those bins of food you have to scoop out with a little plastic gardening shovel?). Steel cut oats cost me like a buck or two per lb. Irish oatmeal (the brand) is expensive.

Natural is better but the flavor packets beat alot of other breakfast meals i guess

flavored packets taste so much better. i'd rather be less healthy and eat a tiny bit more sugar

I'd like to try the steel cut, even though I'm pretty happy with the regular Quaker brand of rolled oats. Going on Urban's advice I checked a couple of supermarkets and farmer's markets locally, and all they have are the expensive "Irish Oats" brand, if at all. So...I'll probably buy one tin of the Irish Oats just to see if these are all that much better for breakfast.

From the accounts I've read on the net, it looks like some individuals buy the Oat Groats (whole grain raw oats) and use a grain grinder to chop them up in smaller pieces to make their own version of steel cut.

Maybe a coffee grinder would work as well, I have one of those.

Back