Real Life Shark Attacks

grey poupon

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have always been fascinated with sharks since I was a child. I find it amazing that these huge predators are roaming our oceans. To me I could not think of a more horrifying death than by a shark attack. For instance, like when the USS Indianapolis was torpedoed by the Japanese Army during WWII. Hundreds of sailors were stuck in the middle of the ocean for over 3 days. Dozens of those sailors were eaten by White Tip sharks.

A quote from one of the survivors of the USS Indianapolis:

"The sharks were around, hundreds of them...Everything would be quiet and then you'd hear somebody scream and you knew a shark had got him."

Does anybody have any cool shark stories or know anyone that was involved in a shark attack?

This guy got it bad

Rodney Fox, then 13, was defending his Australian spear-fishing title in 1953 when a great white shark grabbed him round the middle and dragged him through the water upside down. The predator released him as he gouged its eyes, but soon returned and attacked again. Fox jammed his arm down the beast's throat and pulled it free again, ripping the flesh from his arm. The shark released him and then returned a third time, dragging Fox along the Ocean floor.

After nearly drowning, the teenager was released and pulled aboard a nearby boat with his ribcage, lungs and upper stomach exposed. Miraculously, his main arteries remained intact and he survived after four hours of surgery and 360 stitches.

I've seen a couple when I used to surf a lot. It's terrifying, but they never fuck with you.

That said, a little while after I moved away, this one chick I used to know got her heel bitten off while paddling out.

So yeah, I guess I'm pretty lucky

I've seen a couple when I used to surf a lot. It's terrifying, but they never fuck with you.

That said, a little while after I moved away, this one chick I used to know got her heel bitten off while paddling out.

So yeah, I guess I'm pretty lucky

That's cool, where would you surf at? Do you know what kind of sharks they were?

That's cool, where would you surf at? Do you know what kind of sharks they were?

Florida

And I have no idea. They weren't large, and like... when you're staring at a shark, you're not really trying to study it, you know?

I live near the ocean and get out there from time to time, but not deep enough to feel scared of sharks. But great whites really fascinate me.

In 2003 or 04, I met a guy in Sacramento that was big into abalone diving. Me and my coworker at the time chatted it up with him as my coworker was also a frequent abalone diver. Anyways, less then a year later, that guy we chatted up was eaten by great white while abalone diving in fort Bragg ca.

A friend of mine got stalked by a shark once when he was paddling a rescue board about 1km offshore.

He said that he spotted the fin come up about 10m away from him and then it would keep going down, then popping up in different places, always within metres but sometimes in front, sometimes behind or to the side, and each time it went down he would brace himself to get chomped and have to paddle back to shore with one leg missing or something.

Fortunately he made it back in one piece, but he doesn't go paddling out there any more.

I surf and I have seen two attacks in my time.

The first person survived, the second drowned during/after the attack.

I live near the ocean and get out there from time to time, but not deep enough to feel scared of sharks. But great whites really fascinate me.

In 2003 or 04, I met a guy in Sacramento that was big into abalone diving. Me and my coworker at the time chatted it up with him as my coworker was also a frequent abalone diver. Anyways, less then a year later, that guy we chatted up was eaten by great white while abalone diving in fort Bragg ca.

That is crazy!!!

A friend of mine got stalked by a shark once when he was paddling a rescue board about 1km offshore.

He said that he spotted the fin come up about 10m away from him and then it would keep going down, then popping up in different places, always within metres but sometimes in front, sometimes behind or to the side, and each time it went down he would brace himself to get chomped and have to paddle back to shore with one leg missing or something.

Fortunately he made it back in one piece, but he doesn't go paddling out there any more.

I don't blame him

That is crazy!!!

yeah, you can google the story. The guy was apparently diving with a friend and his friend said they were side by side and he suddenly felt this whoosh of water pass him like a truck and it was a great white with his friend in his mouth. like 50/50 chance on who the shark picked off. Crazy that I met the guy less then a year earlier talking about diving.

Has anybody here surfed or swam in Western Australia? Between the jellyfish, stone fish, sharks, and saltwater crocodiles doesn't it have the most dangerous beaches.

Has anybody here surfed or swam in Western Australia? Between the jellyfish, stone fish, sharks, and saltwater crocodiles doesn't it have the most dangerous beaches.

No but i have family in WA who are big into all kinds of ocean water sports, and I have also met people from WA and they don't seem too concerned about it.

The last few years there have been more sharks popping up on the east coast too...

There are sharks in all waters around Australia.

The two attacks I mentioned in my previous post both happened on the east coast.

You are from Sydney also I see.

I lived in the northern suburbs (Manly) for nine years although I moved a few months ago.

Back