Reading the signs from the casuals

A lot of us on this forum are not typical fans, and it certainly helps to get educated predictions on fights, but I believe every once in awhile talking to a casual can give us a really valuable opinion.

I was talking to a buddy of mine about khabib vs Tony, and I asked him who he thought would win. Now, he doesn't know a lot about mma but we had watched both their highlights and he confidently said khabib would wreck Tony.

I want to say he's wrong because he's not taking into account the fact that Tony is comfortable on his back, but at the end of the day, that's not going to win Tony the fight. If Tony's plan is to tire khabib out and submit him he's going to have a really tough time, and with the pressure khabib puts on people it's going to be hard to best him on the score card too.

The more I think about it, the more the casuals are right on this one, Tony has his work cut out for him and unless he cuts khabib up bad enough to get a doctor stoppage khabib is looking at a victory in April. There's always the what if factor, but if I had to put money on this one khabib is an easy choice.

This was very hard for me to accept because I really like Tony, and as a fan for over 10 years who has trained I want to say I know who the more dangerous guy is, and that's clearly Tony, but the poorly educated eyes of a casual can be oddly accurate and khabib has a style that is really favorable. I hope this perspective helps people understand why Conor is a more unfavorable match up than Tony is for khabib.
i think the weight youre putting on casual vs "hardcore" fans is kind of ridiculous. no offense. Ive been a fan for 10+ years and trained as long as well, and objectively i see it as a great fight for khabib

I remember talking to a buddy of mine that I was in the National Guard with back around 2007-2008. I was in a bar and there was an IFL fight on one of the TV's. He told me he was an MMA fan, so we started talking a bit and he said that he was looking forward to Fedor's next fight he had coming up in the WEC.

I told him that he had to be wrong because I didn't see how he could fight there as Zuffa owned the WEC and they didn't even have a HW division, but he was arguing that he was right. It turns out he was calling Uriah Faber "Fedor" as he was just mispronouncing Uriah's last name... Fucking filthy casuals:D

Last edited:
TBH Sherdog is probably more casual than your average American person interested in UFC these days. It's 90% some kid posting from his shitty apartment in his 3rd world country talking about his countries fighter is the best and everyone else is a cheater and a POS who cheats.

I'm your typical just bleed fan. if this was ancient Rome i would've been calling for the lions already.

giphy.gif

This is the first time Khabib is fighting a true full sized LW elite fighter with a height advantage in his entire career. When Tony is focused on TDD it's amazingly good, this will be a shocking beating.

I don't see what one opinion from one casual has much to do with anything.

But currently Khabib is a 2.5-1 underdog. Source. And suggesting that the heavy favorite will probably win is not outrageous.

Me? I expect Khabib to win. And barring something very unusual I expect I'll enjoy the fight regardless of who wins. And I look forward to seeing what sort of fight Tony puts up.

I think you mean Khabib is the 2.5-1 favorite.

A lot of us on this forum are not typical fans, and it certainly helps to get educated predictions on fights, but I believe every once in awhile talking to a casual can give us a really valuable opinion.

I think there might actually be something to this idea. I remember I started to get into MMA shortly before Lesnar fought Couture. Going into that fight I remember thinking that it was just so obvious that Lesnar was going to win because he had a youth advantage and a huge advantage in size. Lesnar was the betting favorite, but I think there was definitely a fairly widespread perspective that favored Couture's experience and game-planning against Brock's lack of refinement. I was obviously vindicated at the time, but the funny thing is I'm not so sure I would make the same prediction these days - at least not so boldly.

I guess all I'm really saying is that sometimes you can miss the forest for the trees.

Tony has horrible striking and will be looking for a hail mary submission just like Poirer did before getting grinded into paste.

There you have it folks.

Khabib wrecks Tony as TS' casual friend proved.

This is the first time Khabib is fighting a true full sized LW elite fighter with a height advantage in his entire career. When Tony is focused on TDD it's amazingly good, this will be a shocking beating.
hey Tony
Bullshit Khabib-resize.gif

Every casual I've spoken to who knows Khabib has him winning.

Casuals make my stomach turn, like looking at conjoined twins or a bearded woman.

Sickening.
Conjoined twins (female) are teh HAWT!!! WTF are you on about.

ps... your buddy is correct, Ferguson is getting ragdolled and stopped.

There are 2 types of casuals the ones that only watch the big fights and know about marquee fighters and the ones that actually follow the sport but are a bunch of uneducated dopes

Back