Reading the signs from the casuals

pTw

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
A lot of us on this forum are not typical fans, and it certainly helps to get educated predictions on fights, but I believe every once in awhile talking to a casual can give us a really valuable opinion.

I was talking to a buddy of mine about khabib vs Tony, and I asked him who he thought would win. Now, he doesn't know a lot about mma but we had watched both their highlights and he confidently said khabib would wreck Tony.

I want to say he's wrong because he's not taking into account the fact that Tony is comfortable on his back, but at the end of the day, that's not going to win Tony the fight. If Tony's plan is to tire khabib out and submit him he's going to have a really tough time, and with the pressure khabib puts on people it's going to be hard to best him on the score card too.

The more I think about it, the more the casuals are right on this one, Tony has his work cut out for him and unless he cuts khabib up bad enough to get a doctor stoppage khabib is looking at a victory in April. There's always the what if factor, but if I had to put money on this one khabib is an easy choice.

This was very hard for me to accept because I really like Tony, and as a fan for over 10 years who has trained I want to say I know who the more dangerous guy is, and that's clearly Tony, but the poorly educated eyes of a casual can be oddly accurate and khabib has a style that is really favorable. I hope this perspective helps people understand why Conor is a more unfavorable match up than Tony is for khabib.

if you listen to casuals, Nate Diaz is the p4p best fighter of all time.

Posted like a filthy casual.

Casuals make my stomach turn, like looking at conjoined twins or a bearded woman.

Sickening.

I don't understand the disdain for "casual" fans. The "casual" fan more than likely financially supports the sport more than the hardcore fans. I'd guess the casual fans are the ones actually buying the PPVs, and wearing fight swag. They even go to live events like the "hardcore" fans.

I wish I had data to back that up, I can only go by my own observations when I go to Hooters or V Dubs to watch an event from time to time. There are also claims of a majority of posters on here claiming to only watch streams of PPVs. That doesn't support the popularity of the sport or help put more money in the pocket of the fighters.

Go ahead and let as many casuals as possible go to bars that show the PPVs, buy the swag, buy the PPVs and bear the brunt of the financial support for the sport. Who does it hurt that they can't pass some quiz on MMA knowledge and history? I casually watch football but I don't know enough to take part in a fantasy football league. I have no idea why a NFL team would run a 3-4 defense over a 4-3. Do I have to know that to be allowed to watch the games and have a favorite team?

Who cares if "casuals" don't have some knowledge level that you feel all fans should have or just started to watch when McGregor and Rousey brought it to the masses? Are you an expert on every sport you watch?

Ive been into mma since 07 and I still can’t predict winners very well. Ditto football and I’ve been watching that for 35 years.

Fwiw, Tony wins.

I don't see what one opinion from one casual has much to do with anything.

But currently Khabib is a 2.5-1 (edit) fav. Source. And suggesting that the heavy favorite will probably win is not outrageous.

Me? I expect Khabib to win. And barring something very unusual I expect I'll enjoy the fight regardless of who wins. And I look forward to seeing what sort of fight Tony puts up.

Last edited:
Khabib via Smash is just common knowledge across the board...

Khabib is the justifiable favorite and more well known amongst casuals due to the Conor mauling. So it makes sense that they would say him. I've experienced exactly the same thing as you for this fight.

Tony has ways to win this fight, and a lot of tools to make it competitive. We'll have to see what happens. It's a pretty unpredictable match up when you look at it with a sober view.

A lot of us on this forum are not typical fans, and it certainly helps to get educated predictions on fights, but I believe every once in awhile talking to a casual can give us a really valuable opinion.

I was talking to a buddy of mine about khabib vs Tony, and I asked him who he thought would win. Now, he doesn't know a lot about mma but we had watched both their highlights and he confidently said khabib would wreck Tony.

I want to say he's wrong because he's not taking into account the fact that Tony is comfortable on his back, but at the end of the day, that's not going to win Tony the fight. If Tony's plan is to tire khabib out and submit him he's going to have a really tough time, and with the pressure khabib puts on people it's going to be hard to best him on the score card too.

The more I think about it, the more the casuals are right on this one, Tony has his work cut out for him and unless he cuts khabib up bad enough to get a doctor stoppage khabib is looking at a victory in April. There's always the what if factor, but if I had to put money on this one khabib is an easy choice.

This was very hard for me to accept because I really like Tony, and as a fan for over 10 years who has trained I want to say I know who the more dangerous guy is, and that's clearly Tony, but the poorly educated eyes of a casual can be oddly accurate and khabib has a style that is really favorable. I hope this perspective helps people understand why Conor is a more unfavorable match up than Tony is for khabib.

Pretty obvious troll. Go back to your regular account and try again.

I think Khabib is going to dominate Tony. I'm right there with the casuals, but rather than drawing that conclusion on level 1, I did it on level 3 or 5, where I'm just as familiar with Tony as I am with Khabib.

I am a hardcore fan and I still buy PPV's. How can you watch for free from your own home?:confused:

Khabib via Smash is just common knowledge across the board...
16 year Mod dropping vet gems. Listen and learn kids.

Bless.

We all know the inconsistency of MMAth, but let's look at a common opponent in Michael Johnson (who I actually quite like, when's he fighting again?)...

I only know like 20-30% of fighters per event these days.

I guess I’m casual now :|

you dont need to stray away from sherdog to talk to casuals.

theres a bunch of us here.

Khabib will be strangled and exposed

He'll have one foot out the door because a victory would mean a fight against that gorilla waiting on the sidelines next

16 year Mod dropping vet gems. Listen and learn kids.

Bless.

We all know the inconsistency of MMAth, but let's look at a common opponent in Michael Johnson (who I actually quite like, when's he fighting again?)...
MJ is fighting Evan Dunham on April 25 at LW.

MJ Bless
Khabib Bless

Guide to spotting a McGregor hatemonger... or as they common refer to themselves “Khabib fans”

Khabib by anything he wants, Ferguson gets dropped in every fight... Khabi boxed up McGregor

Khabib enforces his will and has broken every opponent... 28-0

Khabib’s been wrestling bears since he was a toddler
can’t use elbows while Khabibs got his head up under your chin

Best chain wrestling in the combat sports history

Ferguson will be Khabib’s easiest opponent yet, look what staph infection Fighter Kevin Lee did to him before he gassed

Tony has worse TDD than Carlos Condit

You can’t Gramby roll from a man who’s always on top of you

Ferguson is a tailor made idealistic style matchup for Khabib

Tony’s only chance is if he makes it out of the early rounds and Khabib decides to strike with him in the 3rd round

Being controlled against the cage will deplete Ferguson’s endless gas tank

Ferguson is mentally unsustainable which make it that much easier for Khabib to break his spirit

Am I doing it right?
{<jordan}

Back