Reading autobiography of Jack Johnson. Didn't realize he had wrestling matches too!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by JudoYourDayUp, Jan 6, 2015.

1. JudoYourDayUp

JudoYourDayUp Orange Belt

So, I've been reading the autobiography of Jack Johnson, the great boxing champion of the early 1900's, first ever black heavyweight boxing champion of the world, and all around insane badass mofo, when all of a sudden he starts talking about various professional wrestling bouts he took part in.

He claims to have beaten a Castilian champion by getting a fall after an 18 minute bout, as well as a Swedish champion in some sort of wrestling tournament he entered while touring the country.

He even tells a story about how he entered a wresting tournament in France and knocked out one of his opponents with a punch after being frustrated by eye pokes and other dirty tactics! (Instead of being DQ'ed the French crowd cheers him on because the guy he knocked out was German and this is right before WWI).

Anyway, I just thought it was cool as shit that there was a time when the heavyweight boxing champion of the world would just go around entering and apparently doing well in what seem to be legit wrestling tournaments.

Also bullfighting. That's right. The guy just up and became a legit bullfighting star in Spain during the middle of his career.

Sorry, I'm just really psyched on this dude right now.

EDIT
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. TheHereticJay

TheHereticJay I scoff at your belt rankings

I was expecting this to be about the singer Jack Johnson...would have shocked the hell out of me.

But this is badass. Heavyweight champion boxer, probably one of the last champions of the world, wrestles other styles champions and even bullfights. Name of his autobiography?

3. JudoYourDayUp

Haha. Oh man, I guess that would have been pretty cool too. Both talented individuals. Lol

The book is called In The Ring and Out The Autobiography of Jack Johnson. It was written in the 1920s, so you get gems of wisdom like how never to let a man call you a stool pigeon and get away with it.

4. emax

emax Black Belt

That guy was a badass's badass. To take on all comers in boxing, to have preceded Ali in the trash talking department by decades and to be picking up all the white women back when that could get you attacked by mobs with robe and baseball bats, now there was a guy for whom fear was nothing more than a four letter word.

5. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Red Belt

i prefer the musician, he is awesome

6. emax

emax Black Belt

Never compare the musician to Johnson the badass boxer. Oh and also, never compare Jack Johnson the musician to Sublime ever, ever. Someone did that and I thought I was gonna explode, for real.

7. Crossface9

Crossface9 Blue Belt

Hahaha, this is great. I love seeing the combination of Boxing and wrestling (Catch mostly). My 2 favorite fighting arts.

8. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

better together was actually a song about his love for his training partners.

9. shunyata

shunyata Red Belt

Jack Johnson is a musician? I thought he was a pro surfer who has somehow made a profit by recording multiple alblums of the same exact song with the same chords but slightly different lyrics.

10. DanTheWolfman.com

DanTheWolfman.com Brown Belt

maybe ud like to watch a mixed rules match

my page has tons of old rare stuff

11. JudoYourDayUp

You just blew my mind sir.

12. stinkoman

stinkoman Blue Belt

Jack Johnson the boxer also was played upright bass in jazz night clubs and was apparently quiet good. And he also patened a wrench in Jail that is arguably the patent for the Crescent wrench.

But back to the point it was pretty common for a lot of older boxers to train with wrestlers for conditioning and improve there clinch when you could do more with it. Jack Depmpsey released a street fighting book where he is showing various submissions like kimuras and chokes and has records of wrestling. John L sullivans main trainer at one point was a greco wrestler named William Muldoon who also trained Gene Tunney

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  13. TheSubmissionCh

TheSubmissionCh Green Belt

Remember that the racist motherfuckers had to delve into the law books to find the Mann Act -- colloquially making it the Jack Johnson law henceforth -- because they were fearful of his penis.

14. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

It's really cool, and makes sense. The Jack Johnson was just a hoss. Champs and tough guys back then took on everyone, no matter what the discipline. A fight was a fight was a fight to those guys.