Read the FAQs & still have question - weak feeling while dieting

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've drastically changed what I eat.
For awhile (too long) I've been eating little else aside from candy bars, McDonalds, chips and soda. In a very brief period of time I've developed asthma and sleep apnea.

I've changed this; eating fruits and vegetables and other healthy things. I've completely stopped eating any of the junk food I mentioned above.

1st couple of days I felt pretty good aside from a migraine headache or two.
3rd & 4th day I felt really good. Sleeping better and just a better mood.
5th day I felt lethargic. I felt like I really didn't even care if I ate healthier and got healthy in general. The thought of eating junk food put me in a euphoric mood.
I'm on my 6th day (which I know isn't long) and I'm getting this feeling of lethargy and a general weakness (I'm consuming enough calories - 2300).

Is this normal to go through this feeling of "whatever, don't care".
Also, is there anything that I'm leaving out that is giving me this weak feeling?
Weak as in perspiring and physically unsteady.

Thanks for any help!!

Withdrawals are common side effects of kicking drugs, in your case, the drugs are corn syrup, MSG, and shitty vegetable oils.

That's about as specific as anyone can get w/out knowing more about your diet now, activity level, height/weight, etc.

Withdrawals are common side effects of kicking drugs, in your case, the drugs are corn syrup, MSG, and shitty vegetable oils.

That's about as specific as anyone can get w/out knowing more about your diet now, activity level, height/weight, etc.

Thanks alot for the response, immovablestone.
It's such a "blah"/indifferent feeling that, while in the moment of it, it's hard to see beyond it. Hearing that it might be symptoms of withdrawals does give me some hope that they will pass.

Thanks again.

I would presume that you are getting enough carbs to prevent dipping into ketosis but if you are doing primarily low carb this is a possibility.

Have you also cut out soda? It could be caffeine withdrawals in addition to the psychological withdrawals of the fast food.

your body is used to large amounts of sugar and caffeine. you'll get over it.

Hi Clint,

Yup - cut soda out completely.
But, I probably was only having one can a day. The mention of carbs gets me thinking, I haven't been so much making a note to avoid carbs but I don't think I've been getting alot of carbs either.

Thanks for the info.

your body is used to large amounts of sugar and caffeine. you'll get over it.

Thanks Kill,
Might sound corny, but this means alot to hear. This stage of apathy has been my downfall for quite some time. I hit this part and I typically fold.
I know it seems simple enough to say that "you'll get over it", but hearing it is greatly reassuring.

Can you please give me proof as to how vegetable and nut oils are bad . Cause I seriously have to decide if I'll eat mom's chicken breast fired in sunflower oil or make my own, also peanuts roasted in oil.

wow I typed fired instead fried, it's like every three posts I make and typo and have to double post, sorry (can't edit with dubs)

Could be a few things based on your description:

- Caffeine withdrawal will make you feel like shit. There's about 50-60mg of caffeine in a can of soda, so multiply that by how many cans you were having to get a sense of how much you were taking. 200mg is around the dose of "No-Doze"

- Not enough fat in your diet. If you consider 'healthy things' to be non-fat, then you're setting yourself up for trouble. Make sure you get enough healthy fats otherwise you'll be low on energy.

- Too few calories. You will feel sluggish and generally shitty as your body forces itself to slow down during extreme restriction.

As far as withdrawals go from MSG, sugar, and whatnot, this isn't what's really going on. It's not like MSG acts on your brain like cocaine or heroine does. More likely, you are having those cravings because of a psychological urge to fulfill pleasure through eating junk food. It's the same concept that makes quitting cigarettes more difficult than just dependence on nicotine: instant gratification and the desire to have it.

It's not like MSG acts on your brain like cocaine or heroine does.

Actually, I read a piece a while back that talked about HFCS and MSG do exactly that, funky things with dopamine and serotonin. I will post it if I can find it.

Actually, I read a piece a while back that talked about HFCS and MSG do exactly that, funky things with dopamine and serotonin. I will post it if I can find it.

Yeah I read something like that too, but I run into a lot of hokey pseudoscience on the internet. Trust me, it's not like heroine....at all.

Hi Clint,

Yup - cut soda out completely.
But, I probably was only having one can a day. The mention of carbs gets me thinking, I haven't been so much making a note to avoid carbs but I don't think I've been getting alot of carbs either.

Thanks for the info.

Maybe making a commitment to a serious low carb lifestyle would be just the thing you need to get over sugar and junk cravings.

Lots of people, including myselff, find that the extra fat in a low carb diet more than makes up for the lack of sugar and keeps those really bad cravings(that you can get when eating such a low fat diet) after being dependant on sugar for so long, to a minimum and bearable.

Then there is the benefits of an increase in energy, being relatively easy to prepare for and tasty as hell haha.

here's some more semi funky pseudo science, which they apparently tested somewhere.

basically your gut bacteria get adjusted to what you eat, and some of them really like simple carbs, to the point that these gut bacteria will release signals to your brain urging you to want carbs. It sounds completely crazy but is apparently testable in some way cause there are studies in pub med (been awhile since I looked).

short version: you gut bacteria will protest diet changes for the 2-4 weeks it takes to totally adjust them to your new diet. Which is also where the whole "hey I stuck to my diet for x days and now I don't crave doughnuts!? I crave spinach/beef/eggs" thing can come from (less random signals in your brain).

but yeah caffeine withdraw, adjusting to lower levels of water in your system from a lower carb diet, carbs being too low for your activity level or not enough fat can all make you feel out of sorts for a couple days when adjusting.

Yeah I read something like that too, but I run into a lot of hokey pseudoscience on the internet. Trust me, it's not like heroine....at all.

Not at all like Heroin, but high fructose corn syrup has the same increase in dopamine levels as cocaine.

From memory there was a study where rats were given a lever to give them cocaine, they'd keep hitting it until they died. They attempted to distract them with everything, foods, other drugs, sex... nothing... except corn syrup.

Children are being raised to be addicts and nobody does anything about it.

Anyways, the study was by a top neuro scientist, I can't recall his name now and I'm at work. Spoke about this in a course I did on Saturday so I'll make a call and get the details of who, when and where asap to post them.

Can you please give me proof as to how vegetable and nut oils are bad . Cause I seriously have to decide if I'll eat mom's chicken breast fired in sunflower oil or make my own, also peanuts roasted in oil.

If you read the thread 10 oils and how to use them, you would know why. There's also a tonne of literature on this stuff.

If you read the thread 10 oils and how to use them, you would know why. There's also a tonne of literature on this stuff.

10. Peanut, Corn, and Other Vegetable Oils
These oils, the so-called

Is it safe to reuse vegetable oil when deep-frying? How long can you store it before it deteriorates? | Answerbag

Fry with safflower oil. The high smoke point it starts with gives you more re-uses before it degrades below your frying temperature.

Read more: Is it safe to reuse vegetable oil when deep-frying? How long can you store it before it deteriorates? | Answerbag Is it safe to reuse vegetable oil when deep-frying? How long can you store it before it deteriorates? | Answerbag

But I think I believe Mike Martial and sherdog nutrition "experts" more then some random people on the internet.

Is it safe to reuse vegetable oil when deep-frying? How long can you store it before it deteriorates? | Answerbag

Fry with safflower oil. The high smoke point it starts with gives you more re-uses before it degrades below your frying temperature.

Read more: Is it safe to reuse vegetable oil when deep-frying? How long can you store it before it deteriorates? | Answerbag Is it safe to reuse vegetable oil when deep-frying? How long can you store it before it deteriorates? | Answerbag

But I think I believe Mike Martial and sherdog nutrition "experts" more then some random people on the internet.

The articles you listed are discussing the smoke point of the oil, whereas the 10 Oils link is discussing the fact that poly-unsaturated oils oxidize when heat is applied. These are two different issues.

Back