Read me whining about my auto mechanic

Not knowing the fundamental basics of auto maintenance is grounds for having your man card rejected.

Yeah fuck those cons. Theyre just like plumbers, AC repairs guys and dentists. All charge you up the ass for unnecessary interventions.
I got lucky, one of best friends is a mechanic and my neighbor is a dentist. I also got an a.c. repair man and a plumber that are some of my father's close friends.
None of those boys work for free.

How fast can you change 4 ball joints on a 98 Chev 1/2 ton? @TeTe
On a lift? Probably about two or two an half hours... most of the time would probably be spent air hammering the fuckers out a rusty control arm. Assuming they're rusty.

Nowadays on newer trucks I think they press them in and you just replace the whole arm with the joint.

Probably would need to be aligned afterward too if it was lined up with a ton of slop in the joints.

On a lift? Probably about two or two an half hours... most of the time would probably be spent air hammering the fuckers out a rusty control arm. Assuming they're rusty.

Nowadays on newer trucks I think they press them in and you just replace the whole arm with the joint.

Probably would need to be aligned afterward too if it was lined up with a ton of slop in the joints.
Heat ‘em up with the torch and pound ‘em out.

Lowers are press in and uppers are a control arm assembly on the newer body styles.

ebay_172662364900_1.jpg

thats with the stock wheels. I swapped them out for the R wheels. looks much better.

my man. beautiful car

thanks, mang
and helluv fast too.
already taken it on the track a few times.
soo much fun.

Oil change for my GT350 Cobra was $184, on account of it takes special 10W/50 oil and needs 10 quarts.
IT calls for motorcraft synthetic.
Pay the price if you want, but there are better oils for the sameness price and cheaper out there.

A case(12qrts) is about 110.00 here, the filter is 20

The real cost is the 10qrt volume, but if you aren’t road racing it(I mean on a track pounding it for hours at a time) you can run cheaper blends or run that oil for a long ass time.

sure, but I am tracking it.
often.
after several track days it actually went into oil starvation, down just one quart, and the
system went into what's called 'limp mode'. popped me right out of track mode.
added oil, bingo. all better.
the best alternative is AMSoil 5W50 but most owners run the spec oil, especially to adhere to warranty.

sure, but I am tracking it.
often.
after several track days it actually went into oil starvation, down just one quart, and the
system went into what's called 'limp mode'. popped me right out of track mode.
added oil, bingo. all better.
the best alternative is AMSoil 5W50 but most owners run the spec oil, especially to adhere to warranty.
Yep then like I said if you are beating on it on a track run the motorcraft and change often(for multiple day road course events we’d change it every day)

As an old friend from racing used to say “ that’s the cost of hot rodding”

I change the rings, bearings and gaskets between events in my drag boat , but I’m turning it over 10k rpm.

And we bring a spare motor, plus basically a spare almost everything to events also lol.

lol at drag boat.
me and my kid used to watch that stuff on the old Speed Channel years ago at
6 in the morning.
awesome stuff

Back