reacting against nonstop punching

Dont let him be. Make sure your conditioning allows you to throw more punches harder and faster down the middle.
That advice is only bad if you cant handle it. Heart is invaluable. Couple that with conditioning and you are unbeatable.

Plus it makes for a better fight to watch.

No offense, but that is simply not true. Mayweather and Hopkins eat guys like that for lunch. If it were "unbeatable" everyone would fight like that. It works fine until you run into a good/better forward aggressor and find that you are so lacking in footwork and the ability to fight "sideways" that your only option is to get your "heart" tested to the point you simply fall down.

Being able to step in and get some is great, and someone who is a good forward aggressor can throw anyone off. If you simply have yet to train or spar with anyone who is better coming forward than you are I could see the limited view. Once you have someone you simply cant back up or beat head to head you'll learn the value of lateral movement, aggressive defense and stepping off. Till then good luck with the world title and that particular "unbeatable" style.

No offense, but that is simply not true. Mayweather and Hopkins eat guys like that for lunch. If it were "unbeatable" everyone would fight like that. It works fine until you run into a good/better forward aggressor and find that you are so lacking in footwork and the ability to fight "sideways" that your only option is to get your "heart" tested to the point you simply fall down.

Being able to step in and get some is great, and someone who is a good forward aggressor can throw anyone off. If you simply have yet to train or spar with anyone who is better coming forward than you are I could see the limited view. Once you have someone you simply cant back up or beat head to head you'll learn the value of lateral movement, aggressive defense and stepping off. Till then good luck with the world title and that particular "unbeatable" style.

yeah i think that is true

yeah chinaboxer is right on that because i will not have the good straiking technique yet so slugging it out is just gonna be a regular street fight .....

OK let me start over and say what iam trying to get across with more words.

Being a new fighter some things (the basics) will come easier. Those things are conditioning,staight punches and fast punches. If you utilize these in fights you are working your immediate strengths. If you partner these with a proper fighter stance and a good solid hands up defense youshould b able to trade with an average new fighter. He will then try to wrestle you and fallinto your game.

Of course in the gym you work the more complicated techniqes (counter punching, angles,) these tactics take awhile to learn and a new fighter can lose several bouts before getting them down as habit. These are advanced tactics that are awesome and should be practiced everyday. However a new fighter could have a problem utilizing them in a fight.

The circle and jab will work but may not impres the judges and if you are a pro fighter the drunken crowd will be brutal. Pros who please the crowd WILL fight more often even if they lose a few. I believe to stand your ground slip and work the angles would be best for a fighter faceing a good striker yet that is a bit much for a beginner. Makes for a happy crowd if you can get it going though. A happy crowd means a big fan base. A big fan base sells tickets. More tickets sells means more money.

As for telling him to man up and show heart well thas a little pep talk that most fighters like to hear. It makes it seem they can do it.

I normally dont give such short advice as my first two post but was in a bit of a hurry. So this post is the long version.

Summary as a new figher work the basics in a fight. Fast hard punches down the middle. A solid stance and hands up. This will only be possible with conditioning.

In the gym work some advanced tactics like slipping and working the angles. Never back straight up

As i understandit this guy is new and you cannot compare him to the gentlemen you have mentioned. If he trys what I say in his first few fights I bet he will be sucessful or atleast please the crowd.

boxer steve i tink u also have a good point...
that it takes time to learn the counter punch technique so if anthing recent just give them some hits too....move around for a hard target but come in for heavy flurries

As i understandit this guy is new and you cannot compare him to the gentlemen you have mentioned. If he trys what I say in his first few fights I bet he will be sucessful or atleast please the crowd.

That I can agree with, but IME its not hard at all for new guys to develop thier forward game. Its HARD to make them move laterally and to be able to give a tiny bit of space to land a shot. SO what should a new guy train for? IMO the hard stuff. Stepping off, moving laterally and not always trying to bang it out head up. All my guys start every fight the same way, taking the fight to the other guy, but they also drill to the point of hating it to move laterally and to step off. Training time, especially the first couple of years is more valuable IMO starting with the hard stuff rather than just learning to fight like a bull-dozer. This is IMO the reason a new guy like the TS SHOULD focus more on footwork than trying to bang it out all the time. In the ring there will ALWAYS be a time to bang it out, no need to lock yourself into training to win one way and one way only.

That I can agree with, but IME its not hard at all for new guys to develop thier forward game. Its HARD to make them move laterally and to be able to give a tiny bit of space to land a shot. SO what should a new guy train for? IMO the hard stuff. Stepping off, moving laterally and not always trying to bang it out head up. All my guys start every fight the same way, taking the fight to the other guy, but they also drill to the point of hating it to move laterally and to step off. Training time, especially the first couple of years is more valuable IMO starting with the hard stuff rather than just learning to fight like a bull-dozer. This is IMO the reason a new guy like the TS SHOULD focus more on footwork than trying to bang it out all the time. In the ring there will ALWAYS be a time to bang it out, no need to lock yourself into training to win one way and one way only.

so are you saying i should not work on just att and work on my timing and movement?

I am saying if you are new, work everything. The stuff he said is true....to an point. SOME people are just too good/too fast/too tough to beat straight on. So why try to beat a guy at something he is better at than you? The other simple fact is, a few lateral steps that make you hard to find/hit tend to slow a forward aggressor down some. When he does that and you land some shots it can take steam out.

A better answer from me would be, listen to your trainer, he is BY FAR more qualified in this particular instance to help you.(he works with you personally and sees you all the time.)

Check my later post and you will see I am all for training the more advanced stuff. In a fight work your strengths in the gym work your weakness.

anyone who is giving you advice so you can please the crowd i would ignor. dont try to out slug someone, because sooner or latter you will run into someone who will out slug you.

the best thing to do is learn the proper technice so you can beat him without having to be stronger or faster. doesnt mean you cant train to be strong and fast, but its always better to be smarter.

ps ive had some drinks sorry about the spelling and grammer.

Man just work on your defense and your movement like they said. You got some good advice here but i think the bottom line is work everything and through sparring and training you will see what works the best for you.
IMO anyone can go in their and bulldoze forward and throw straight punches but i dont think that's the answer especially for a newer guy that's even unsure what his own capabilities are still.
Work on your movement, your timing and things of that nature. Those are the things that will pay off in the long run ALONG with mad cardio....even though im not a fan of that "new guy surging forward" you should have the stamina to do so just in case all else fails lol..
my .02

Oh yeah and like you even admitted moving backwards is ok for maybe the first step but the next should be lateral....dont think it's because of the speed of the backwards movement though i think it's because you're in a RING...you can only move back so long before your stuck in a corner or on the ropes getting abused ;)

It's hard to say what to do, since it depends on atleast a couple of factors.

If I am better at the standup and have not been rocked, I like to power through it and get him on the defensive instead.

If I am better on the ground I will clinch up and throw him or shoot at him.

If he is better on the ground and I have been rocked standing and can't power through him, I clinch up to knee and elbow while I regain composure, or circle around with heavy jabbing and front kicking to get some distance.

anyone who is giving you advice so you can please the crowd i would ignor. dont try to out slug someone, because sooner or latter you will run into someone who will out slug you.

the best thing to do is learn the proper technice so you can beat him without having to be stronger or faster. doesnt mean you cant train to be strong and fast, but its always better to be smarter.

ps ive had some drinks sorry about the spelling and grammer.

Any pro fighter not trying to keep the crowd happy will wash out. Out of the thousands of fans at ringside only a few will appreciate a chess match going on in the ring. It does not matter if you win every fight if you dont sell tickets. Pro is about selling the tickets. It is better to lose a few but keep the crowd happy. Numbers in a win/lose colloumn wont pay bills ticket sales do.

Any pro fighter not trying to keep the crowd happy will wash out. Out of the thousands of fans at ringside only a few will appreciate a chess match going on in the ring. It does not matter if you win every fight if you dont sell tickets. Pro is about selling the tickets. It is better to lose a few but keep the crowd happy. Numbers in a win/lose colloumn wont pay bills ticket sales do.

doesnt mean you should be a better slugger to sell tickets. all real sports fans will appreciate a better technical fighter or whatever sport you play over the couple thousand 12-18 year olds who want to see a blood bath brawl everytime.

im not saying a good slug fest isnt fun to watch every now and then, but watching a very technical fighter pick apart a brawler is at times just as enjoyable to watch.

the only people who want to see 2 fighters prove who is stronger and fast and just stand toe to toe EVERY FIGHT are those who dont understand the technical side to the "game"

im not saying people who like a slug fest are less then those that like a technical fight, im just stating the truth.

ps i like them both, i just train to be a better fighter, not just stronger and faster.

Edit: heres an example, when your at the gym and training, and say your sparing. If you get poped or someone is all over you, a teacher or instructor would never come by and say "hey you need to hit harder or faster" they will give you advice on what your doing wrong and how to correct it without just relying on streght or speed.

try to use your jab to create some distance. if all else fails, just do your best to tie him up.

doesnt mean you should be a better slugger to sell tickets. all real sports fans will appreciate a better technical fighter or whatever sport you play over the couple thousand 12-18 year olds who want to see a blood bath brawl everytime.

im not saying a good slug fest isnt fun to watch every now and then, but watching a very technical fighter pick apart a brawler is at times just as enjoyable to watch.

the only people who want to see 2 fighters prove who is stronger and fast and just stand toe to toe EVERY FIGHT are those who dont understand the technical side to the "game"

im not saying people who like a slug fest are less then those that like a technical fight, im just stating the truth.

ps i like them both, i just train to be a better fighter, not just stronger and faster.

Edit: heres an example, when your at the gym and training, and say your sparing. If you get poped or someone is all over you, a teacher or instructor would never come by and say "hey you need to hit harder or faster" they will give you advice on what your doing wrong and how to correct it without just relying on streght or speed.

I dont think yo have read all the post I made I advocate training the advanced tactics and fighting the ones you know and are strong at. For the beginner it is the basics.

The art of two masters slipping and weaving and countering is a thing of beaty. It equals the graet works of art and all of natures beaty to me. However for the TS he is new and needs to work the basics. Fast straight hard punches.

I am not advocating to be a slugger to sell tickets. I am saying that running, and jabbing when the guy gets close will not sell tickets. The crowd will still cheer two fighters slipping and executing great footwork but will boo a runner and a clincher.

The throw a punch or two and clinch philosophy has already done a lot of harm to boxing as a spectator sport. People I have talked to state that as a reason they dont watch boxing antmore and I personely will not watch this sort of fight.

+1 on the jab. Regardless of if you're trying to outbox him or outbrawl him, you'll do it better by using your jab and circling.

blast his leg out, circle, and punish him.

personally i just teep and low kick when i run into a brawler, then if they power in i clinch up and hang on for dear life lol. i've developed a good clinch at least.

Back