reacting against nonstop punching

the simple answer is footwork. but don't try to avoid them by moving backwards because your opponent can step forward faster than you can step backwards. which means, you have to learn to sidestep or circle which sets up your counter attack.

The other option is "clinch" and get those elbows and knee shots in.

The last option is "takedown". go for the single or double leg.

Bow your neck, man up, and beat him at his own game. More punches down the middle harder, faster.show him your are better a his game then him and you win.

the simple answer is footwork. but don't try to avoid them by moving backwards because your opponent can step forward faster than you can step backwards. which means, you have to learn to sidestep or circle which sets up your counter attack.

The other option is "clinch" and get those elbows and knee shots in.

The last option is "takedown". go for the single or double leg.

yeah thats exactly what happen to me i make the mistake to back up and it messes me up

Bow your neck, man up, and beat him at his own game. More punches down the middle harder, faster.show him your are better a his game then him and you win.

don't listen to this advice. you don't want to try and out "muscle" someone, keep working on technique over strength...brains over brawn.

What if he is better at his own game than you? You give terrible advice.

so if he trys to brawl me i box him?
let me put it this way...when you're still learning the striking game, ALWAYS practice the skill, keep emotion out of the equation. When you've mastered the striking game, THEN you can "brawl". so to answer your question, yes. learn to out strike him by using solid technique. remember this...when someone "chain punches" you. you don't have to defend EVERY punch, because you can't. BUT what you can do is use footwork and solid counter strikes at the ONSET of his "chain punches". this means reacting to the VERY FIRST strike of his "chain punches". If you do this, he won't be able to keep attacking straight ahead. And you will avoid running backwards.

Here's a trick you can use to develop reaction skills. As others are sparring, watch ONE person as if you were in the ring with him. AS SOON AS YOU SEE HIM ATTACK, snap your finger. This will help your nervous system develop that "syntax", that whenever you "see" a move at it's onset, it triggers you to "counter".

so i start my standup as a counter puncher and rise my way up to an attacker?

ARGH...no. You have to use different "strategies" against different types of fighters. If you spar someone and find it easy to land attacks, then be the attacker. If you spar someone who comes at you very aggressive, then you have to be a counter fighter. You gave me a specific fight situation, so i gave you a very specific fight "strategy". hope this makes sense.

What if he is better at his own game than you? You give terrible advice.

Dont let him be. Make sure your conditioning allows you to throw more punches harder and faster down the middle.
That advice is only bad if you cant handle it. Heart is invaluable. Couple that with conditioning and you are unbeatable.

Plus it makes for a better fight to watch.

ARGH...no. You have to use different "strategies" against different types of fighters. If you spar someone and find it easy to land attacks, then be the attacker. If you spar someone who comes at you very aggressive, then you have to be a counter fighter. You gave me a specific fight situation, so i gave you a very specific fight "strategy". hope this makes sense.
yeah man thnx,i just alter my fight strat towards my fighters strat...be aggresive if the fighter is an easy targer if not brain that guy out

Dont let him be. Make sure your conditioning allows you to throw more punches harder and faster down the middle.
That advice is only bad if you cant handle it. Heart is invaluable. Couple that with conditioning and you are unbeatable.

but thats if ur a little better stand up fighter...i just started and my strong point is bjj so im not good on my feet...my bjj is not very good either but for the time ive been working on it its my best point

Gotti and Ward have heart but they back it up with years and years of solid technique. The Original Poster obviously is still learning, so giving him advice, "be stronger, faster, tougher", is counter productive to him and will only teach him bad habits.

yeah chinaboxer is right on that because i will not have the good straiking technique yet so slugging it out is just gonna be a regular street fight .....

Back