Reachy fighters who've never used eye pokes but could have to turn things their way.

deltapapha

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I just watched a hand full of gifs of JJ blatantly using eyepokes to manipulate the fight. I had actually forgotten that he did that. My question is who are other reachy fighters that you can tell could probably have gotten away with it like Jones but who were not assholes enough to do so?

Or is it pretty universally used by tall long armed fighters at critical junctures of the fight?

Last edited:
Anderson Silva, Stefan Struve. Kos and Struve.

Repeated eye pokes have little to do with a fighters reach, and moreso to do with them being a douchopotomus

Dhalsim comes to mind. Good reach advantage but never pokes the eyes.

streetf4_dhalsim_006.jpg

So is it really difficult not to do it? I have seen people defending Jones with that claim. It seems to me just by watching the clips that Jones uses eyepokes as a calculated technique.

Luke Barnet might still be in the UFC

No can defend. Eye pokes are game changers brah. The different between chumps and the GOAT

7V2ArKq.gif

So is it really difficult not to do it? I have seen people defending Jones with that claim. It seems to me just by watching the clips that Jones uses eyepokes as a calculated technique.

Bones doesn't just poke eyes, he shish-kabobs them
7V2ArKq.gif

fingers4.gif

fingers2.gif

No can defend. Eye pokes are game changers brah. The different between chumps and the GOAT

7V2ArKq.gif

Mannnnn, all of a sudden, even though I've known about this all along it is just totally changing my whole outlook on his wins. I know this is well saturated territory and I don't want to beat a dead horse but dude, he's dirty. I just needed to remind myself of this.

Mannnnn, all of a sudden, even though I've known about this all along it is just totally changing my whole outlook on his wins. I know this is well saturated territory and I don't want to beat a dead horse but dude, he's dirty. I just needed to remind myself of this.
You know pretty much every eyepoke in history looks pretty much exactly like this when looped like that right

I once got a thumb to the eye from a guy with a much shorter wingspan than I. Hurt like a bitch that I did last night.

Gegard Mousasi. The dude has quite long arms.

Eye pokes are part of the game, you gotta train those eye poke blocks bro.

AlBundyEyePokeBlock.gif

So it's not reflexive. No fighter just unavoidably does it with any degree of regularity unless they are using it as a calculated technique. Like the dude above said it means the difference between chump and GOAT.

I have often gotten the impression of JJ that he would use just about any dirty technique he could if he thought he could get away with it. As it turns out eyepokes are one of those things you can get away with. Therefore he uses them.

In theory all fighters could do it. Everybody gets one freebee, might as well use it.

I think they need harsher penalties for fouls in MMA. It's absurd that you can stick your fingers in your opponents eyes or kick them in the balls and often only be threatened with losing a point, not even actually lose a point. Meanwhile, those fouls could affect the recipient negatively for the remainder of the fight. It shouldn't be advantageous to foul your opponent. You should be in serious danger of losing if you fight that way.

Back