Reach absolutely matters, and it's not just in MMA.

Unicorn Princes

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It gives an advantage in essentially every sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape_index

http://www.ape-index.com/

Most champions, not just Jon Jones, have a serious reach advantage over their opponents -- look at Weidman, GSP, Anthony Pettis, Jose Aldo etc. -- and you will find that most of them have a serious reach advantage over their competition.

But reach alone is not the only factor that matters. A lot of people probably don't realize this, but having large hands generally means a person will punch harder. Some fighters (Cain comes to mind) have abnormal cardio, strength or speed. I'm sure that there are other physical attributes that give an advantage. Having a single advantage probably won't be enough to guarantee a fighter or athlete will be dominant, but it's still an important factor nonetheless.

When you guys bring up Stefan Struve as an example for why reach doesn't matter, it's like saying height doesn't matter in basketball, and then pointing out that Shaq isn't the best NBA player of all time. Yet there aren't very many players in the entire sport who are under 6 foot tall, if you follow my drift.

And quite frankly the Mike Tyson argument is silly. It's literally on par with bringing up Mugsy Bogues in the NBA. Sometimes athletes are so good that being at a physical disadvantage doesn't matter. But individuals like this still represent a very small % of the overall population of any sport.

Last edited:
Yeah but good footwork can compensate the reach disadvantage

Reach barely matters

If you have long ass arms, it takes a longer amount of time for your to return your hands to a position where you can defend yourself. it's not a coincidence that small, compact fighters like Mike Tyson, Ramon Dekkers, etc. have found tremendous success fighting larger, longer guys who let couldn't shake them off.

I'm a very lanky fighter myself and my worst nightmare is a compact volume puncher who I cannot get away from.

Reach matters more in MMA than it ever will in boxing and kickboxing, because MMA fighters on the whole have shit footwork and can't cut each other off, but when shorter fighters actually begin to adapt and pick up real boxing skills, having a long reach will be meaningless.

markhuntko.gif

/thread

Yeah but good footwork can compensate the reach disadvantage

lateral movement is more important to negate reach in boxing. that is why tyson was so good, he was able to slip inside his opponents punches.

Great footwork can make a reach advantage a disadvantage.

Except reach in MMA isn't just used for striking, it's also used to prevent being taken down, taking people down, and leverage during submission attempts / defense. Like I see Jon Jones' reach giving him more of an advantage from keeping wrestlers like Chael or Rashad from being able to either close in on him or wrestle with him.

Except reach in MMA isn't just used for footwork, it's also used to prevent being taken down, taking people down, and leverage during submission attempts / defense. Like I see Jon Jones' reach giving him more of an advantage from keeping wrestlers like Chael or Rashad from being able to either close in on him or wrestle with him.

Then you're nuts.
Having long ass legs makes fending off wrestlers like Chael and Rashad even harder.

Then you're nuts.
Having long ass legs makes fending off wrestlers like Chael and Rashad even harder.

Another good point, and something MMA analysts discuss a lot. Legs should probably be measured and counted as part of the stats, because they also give a major advantage. A lot of people don't realize this, but Gustaffson has significantly longer legs than Jon Jones, and that was something a lot of people were discussing after the fight.

Chael literally said Jon Jones long legs made it harder to wrestle him like 2 days ago.

[YT]t8wX2GwlJBg[/YT]

Jones has longer legs.

Does he really? I heard otherwise when the fight was broken down by Bas Rutten and those other guys. Either way, I never said reach was the only thing that matters. I don't understand how Sherdoggers looked at the original thread and interpreted it that way.

And if anything I was defending Jon Jones because he's not the only dominant champion to have a serious reach advantage. I don't even like Jon Jones, but I don't think people realize that most champions DO have a reach advantage.

TS' fallacy: "Here are the examples of why I am right, but please don't come up with examples that could prove the contrary, because they are silly and exceptions."

One white raven invalidates the statement "all ravens are black".

Reach matters when you can actually use it well. Jones uses it very well. Still picking DC to win though.

Reach matters in snooker too.

Although, in snooker, if you can't reach there's a rest under the table which allows you to extend your reach so forget I mentioned it

The best option for Jones is to throw kicks, not punches. A steady supply of front kicks and leg kicks will keep Cormier at distance, reduce the TD threat, and wear Cormier out.

GSP didnt have a serious reach advantage.
GSP= 76
Hendricks=69
Nick= 76
Condit= 78
Shields= 72

Pettis also hasnt enjoyed serious reach advantages
Pettis=72
Gil=71
Bendo= 70
Cowboy= 73
Lauzon= 71.5

Back