RDA's S&C Coach criticizing Cain's S&C training

Toco

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
[YT]ZJmYFlvKloE[/YT]

1:36:10 and 2:21:15

he talks about his kettlebell workout and the famous leg extension. ofc these are pretty old videos so he has probably dropped it since then (?)

i mean he doesnt really talk much but you can see he strongly disapproves

RDA's S&C coach if i understood correctly, he learned with marinovich, who was the guy that trained BJ in his best era, specifically for the florian and sanchez fight, and a couple of weeks for the edgar fight and then BJ started to slack and marinovich quit him

Yeah, he's a Marinovich guy, but he's well rounded as well and has a good grasp of biomechanics and training principles. I'm listening to the podcast right now

If Cains S&C coach is the dude in that leg extension vid with Cain, then yeah I critizise him Too.

If Cains S&C coach is the dude in that leg extension vid with Cain, then yeah I critizise him Too.

No shit.

That guy has no business training anyone, I was cringing through that whole video.

Marinovich is legit, this dude is from his tree. While I don't agree with him 100%, I would listen to what he says.

He is..

By the way his bio is full of some of the most outrageous/ridiculous/pathetic lies I've ever seen in a revamped bio...

It's really worthy to read it here :

http://www.joegrassoelitetraining.com/joe-bio.php

Some cliffs :

joe grasso said:
By his senior year in high school, Joe weighed in at a lean, well built 220 pounds. He possessed the admirable ability to bench the 220-pound stack 54 times, do one- armed incline bicep curls with 150 pound dumbbells, complete the mile run in 5:15, and easily run 20 miles at a 7-minute mile pace.
I won't even elaborate on the curl as even the strongest world class super heavy weight armwrestlers/strongmen don't rep 150lbs dumbells..

After high school, Joe continued heavy training, NEVER resorting to performance enhancer's such as steroids or growth hormones.

Yeah sure he beat the all time NFL 225 bench press (54 times his bodyweight by the way, while in the NFL the best bencher are like 330ish ) while posting a 5:15 mile @ 220 lbs LOLZ !
Of course he never PEDed as can be seen on the pictures of him on his site (when he was younger), and despite the fact that he looks like a walking add for roids nowadays...

joe grasso said:
Joe even found a way to translate his talent through a career-oriented setting. He began a program of self defense which included karate, full contact martial arts, and jiu jitsu. Later, he became a police officer and specialized as a beat officer, a training officer, and a violent crime team (gang unit) detective. Joe obtained real life combat experience in the street, as he successfully handled and diffused numerous violent encounters.

joe grasso said:
In 1989, Joe emerged as the first person in United States to initiate a private, professional training facility, which leveraged into high end personal training. Joe's techniques, which he pioneered as a child, brought incredible results to clients. One of his clients shed 5-7 inches off of his waist in a mere 10 visits, while another acquired 8 pounds of lean muscle in only 3 weeks. Skeptics decried that these results were impossible to obtain, however several clients endorsed the reality of Joe's techniques and word quickly spread.

Bullshit claims at their finest.. By the way was is 5 or 7 inches ? Not exactly the same thing :)

joe grasso said:
Since his initial opening, Joe has personally supervised and/or trained over 350,000 individual hour workout sessions.

Magnificient claim again, make a quick calculation, 350 000 hours would be 39 and some change years training people 24h per day, 7 days a week...

I'll let you enjoy his full bio on his website, but how could someone hire such a snake oil seller/ liar / bro scientist is beyond me...
The guy is an obvious fraud as testified by his " BIO " , because no one who is sure of his worth would make such BS claims, and by the way they are way to exaggerated to be credible..

Last edited:
No shit.

That guy has no business training anyone, I was cringing through that whole video.

Marinovich is legit, this dude is from his tree. While I don't agree with him 100%, I would listen to what he says.

Yeah, anyone who has done starting strength will realise Cain trains like a retard in those vids. The guy has some interesting ideas and if I was a fighter looking to increase my power and endurance I'd probably spend some training cycles with him.

He does get a little too unconventional at times, strength isn't completely movement specific like the guy often claims, usually it's sports coaches that buy into the whole replicating a sports movements with resistance training. "How would using the sled help in the octagon"? "Pushing a guy into the cage..?" Even rogan could see some flaws in his thinking. (Not that the prowler sled even needs to replicate an exact movement a fighter uses in the cage to have some carry over to their performance).

Goes without saying, if you go from benching 100 pounds and squatting 150 pounds to benching 300 pounds and squatting 450 pounds then you will feel stronger in the cage by several orders of magnitude.
(Traditional barbell strength training also isn't usually trained via low reps of 80 percent+ of 1RM, something he constantly is criticising).

Yeah, anyone who has done starting strength will realise Cain trains like a retard in those vids. The guy has some interesting ideas and if I was a fighter looking to increase my power and endurance I'd probably spend some training cycles with him.

He does get a little too unconventional at times, strength isn't completely movement specific like the guy often claims, usually it's sports coaches that buy into the whole replicating a sports movements with resistance training. "How would using the sled help in the octagon"? "Pushing a guy into the cage..?" Even rogan could see some flaws in his thinking. (Not that the prowler sled even needs to replicate an exact movement a fighter uses in the cage to have some carry over to their performance).

Goes without saying, if you go from benching 100 pounds and squatting 150 pounds to benching 300 pounds and squatting 450 pounds then you will feel stronger in the cage by several orders of magnitude.
(Traditional barbell strength training also isn't usually trained via low reps of 80 percent+ of 1RM, something he constantly is criticising).

Yeah, that is where I differ from him too. While I agree athletes should focus mainly on more full range movement type exercises, abounding traditional strength exercises is pretty silly.

Like you said, going from squatting 100 to 400 lbs you're going to be able to feel a strength difference in your sport.

He is..

By the way his bio is full of some of the most outrageous/ridiculous/pathetic lies I've ever seen in a revamped bio...

Some cliffs :

Yeah sure he beat the all time NFL 225 bench press (54 times his bodyweight by the way, while in the NFL the best bencher are like 330ish ) while posting a 5:15 mile @ 220 lbs LOLZ !
Of course he never PEDed as can be seen on the pictures of him on his site (when he was younger), and despite the fact that he looks like a walking add for roids nowadays...

Bullshit claims at their finest.. By the way was is 5 or 7 inches ? Not exactly the same thing :)

Magnificient claim again, make a quick calculation, 350 000 hours would be 39 and some change years training people 24h per day, 7 days a week...

I'll let you enjoy his full bio on his website, but how could someone hire such a snake oil seller/ liar / bro scientist is beyond me...
The guy is an obvious fraud as testified by his " BIO " , because no one who is sure of his worth would make such BS claims, and by the way they are way to exaggerated to be credible..

Haha wow.

the guy in rogans podcast knew what he was talking about, he really needs to start getting more people like this instead of those lame ass comedians only a couple of good ones like joey diaz

No shit.

yea that video was complete insanity. poor cain

He is..

Some cliffs :

lol holy shit we've identified superman, he was probably holding back too

the guy in rogans podcast knew what he was talking about, he really needs to start getting more people like this instead of those lame ass comedians only a couple of good ones like joey diaz

Rogan does have a lot of good/smart guests on his show.

That was a very entertaining podcast, at first when he was dismissing traditional weight lifting exercises I was skeptical, but realising he was saying they were bad for fighting, not bad for gaining muscle and size, then it was making sense to listen to him.

The practices he was promoting all made sense and a new way of thinking...I liked the parts where Rogan (who I like) showed the kettle bell exercises and asked what he thought, and Curson said something like "I think that makes you good at lifting kettle bells, not sure how it makes you a better fighter" lol

And when Rogan showed the Cain video, one he's shown to many guests who always say 'that's amazing' or 'he's a beast' and 'no wonder he's champ' or something to that effect, and when Curson watched it he's like ' thats an impressive feat, not sure how or why thats good for MMA, imagine how good he'd be if he trained correctly" lol. The look on Rogan's face!

Last edited:
He is..

Some cliffs :

thats the funniest list of claims ive seen

Haha wow.

yea that video was complete insanity. poor cain

lol holy shit we've identified superman, he was probably holding back too

thats the funniest list of claims ive seen

First there was Joe Grasso people !
All bow before him !!!
And of course he was holding back !
That's why he also listed his performances as a still green ( but lean!) 18 years old, people who have had heart attacks left and right if they knew what he was doing 10 years later

Back on topic, I've watched a part of the video ( like the 1st hour ) and I must say some of those Marinovitch principles are very interesting..
As the french team trainer in the long jump/triple jump told me once while I was looking at once of his pupils ( who later went to the olympics ) doing explosive inclined leg press exercizes unilaterally, " to be fast you need to train fast "

I think in MMA/combat sports/contact sports, their philosophy would make an training regimen for someone who has built a base of strength/power via heavy lifting and/or oly lifting for some years ( especially if he did it early in his life , agewise )...

Once you have already great strength and power, and average felxibility, kinda like Polamalu back then, transitionning to that kind of training would make the athlete progress exponentially..
I can't imagine the level of performance some already explosive/very explosive champs ( HW ! ) like Fedor, Cain or DC could have attained/attain if they did their S&C under Curson or Marinovitch..
Their speed/cardio/power would be ungodly..

Last edited:
Back