RDA appreciation thread

Very excited to see what he can accomplish at 170.

Good old fashioned fighter. Humble,dedicated,well rounded,aggressive and powerful. A shame he can't cut to 155 anymore because I think he's too small for 170. I also think he would soundly beat Alvarez in a rematch tbh.

prime RDA:
after Khabib fight - Alvarez fight
very fun to watch,
ended Pettis era, which was unstoppable at the time (at least for me)

His run was fucking amazing even if it was pretty short.

Running through Bendo, Diaz, Pettis and Cerrone without losing a single round is pretty fucking impressive.

Another Brazilian pull out merchant.

Over a bruised foot....

He was a great champ, it was sad he ended up losing two in a row now. You can never tell what will happen in mma.

Big fan. Hope he has another title run in him.

Very excited to see what he can accomplish at 170.

Good point. I like RDA, but seems to me that he was part of that group of fighters that benefited from their capacity to cut weight and impose their bigger frame in a smaller division. He was a big, strong LW until his body was unable to cope with that anymore. (Barão comes to mind. In some ways, Conor at FW).
But at 170 he will face dudes that are also very big and cut a lot of weight, so his bigger frame is not an advantage anymore (like Barão at FW).
As I said, I like RDA, and I'd like to see him moving slowly up the rank at 170.

Never thought he could finish Bendo.
Amazing fighter.

Had a good run!

Was saved from the left hand tho..

IMO the true champs that deserve the most appreciation are the ones who get the belt in the old fashioned way, by going up the rankings and fighting everyone they put in front of them... losing some, winning some, and truly working your way up to the top like Max Holloway did... or like Ferguson, Romero or Maia are doing (not cutting in the line as a marketing attraction).

Recent examples of guys truly going up the rankings and earning a TS in the LW division (most stacked division in the world) and then becoming champ are:

Penn - 5 title victories

Edgar - 3 title fight victories and 1 draw

Bendo - 4 title fight victories

Pettis - 1 title defense

RDA - 2 title fight victories.
His streak included wins over 2 guys in the list above still on their prime: Bendo and Pettis.

Bendo
giphy.gif

Pettis

You gotta respect RDA.

He also

Fucked Cerrone up
tumblr_nzn0nckaxu1upwz95o1_400.gif

And he absolutely destroyed Conor´s father (a WW who cuts from 215 pounds, as I last heard).
tumblr_ngl37gvLww1u2ragso1_r1_500.gif

But the weight cut was taking its toll. So I hope RDA comes back stronger than ever at WW. Saffiedine is a tough opponent for a debut in the division, but I still believe in RDA´s win.

#War RDA
Rafael-Dos-Anjos-IP-2.png

Pettis has 3 title fight victories if you include WEC. Benson x2 , Melendez. I miss the Pettis era....had so much hopes.

Back