ray sefo switch punch???

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by supermanfw, Oct 21, 2010.

1. supermanfw

supermanfw Green Belt

The switch punch that sefo landed on lebanner ...does it have a technical name and whats a good way to set it up...it looks like it would only be useful if your fighting someone with the opposite stance than you...but any info and instructions on how to do it properly would be helpful..

2. Explosion Man

Explosion Man Blue Belt

I believe Mike Schiavello called it the Balmoral special if I'm thinking of the correct punch, Balmoral is where Ray Sefo started I believe.

3. MisterT

MisterT Brown Belt

Well, Sefo basically switched to a southpaw stance and executed a lead hook.
    It adds a little bit more momentum to the punch.

The hook itself is also different from a regular hook.
    A regular lead hook consists of simply rotating the upper body (using your shoulders) and delivering the punch.
    However, the hook that Sefo did started low and then went high (watch the path of Sefo's fist. It starts somewhere at his stomach and then goes in an arc and hitting Jerome's chin. It's almost like an inverted/backward "C" figure going in a counterclockwise manner). Watch from 1:07 to 1:11 and pay close attention to the path that Sefo's right fist takes. Also, watch the slow mo replay at 1:35 -

I believe Sefo called it the "boomerang hook".

4. Soul Rebel 2

Soul Rebel 2 Black Belt

Brutal KO, I cant believe they haven't fought a rematch.