Ray Rice-Does he deserve another chance in the NFL

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Jon Stark, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Jon Stark

Jon Stark Jon Stark Belt Platinum Member

This is a loaded question and with many variables in play. All crimes aside, his physical abilities alone could sway some teams from signing him as his 2013 numbers were mediocre at best.

Assuming he still is a 1000+ yard rusher in the NFL, SHOULD he be given another shot?. The league is full of convicted felons. Has Rice's individual circumstances been that much different than others who still remain under contract with other teams?

Personally, I feel he deserves another chance. He missed a season, was punished in criminal court, served or is serving his sentence and should be under contract.

It's a sad social commentary that fans, league personal and owners are reluctant to sign him in my opinion, not based on his specific actions but that they were captured on video tape. Being able to attach his crime to first hand evidence seems to be the MAIN reason Rice remains out of the NFL.

Sigh, what a double standard and disappointing reality.

2. Fbed

Fbed Luna Belt Platinum Member

Of course he does. There are guys on NFL rosters now that have done much worse. I doubt anyone will give him chance but he definitely deserves and least a shot.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  3. Falsedawn

Falsedawn Mansa Platinum Member

Yep. The man took a huge credibility hit, he lost a year in his career at a notoriously short lived position, and he has at least made an effort to repent for his issues in the public eye.

His wife said let him play football, so let him play football. I said the same for Vick.

4. drstrangelov

drstrangelov Hey.

Can he still play? He's served his punishment, why would he continue to be punished? Running backs have short windows where they're great though usually, losing a year could be fatal.

5. Liquid Smoke

Liquid Smoke Great artists steal™

I think so, but my opinions are considered boorish by many. Sorry Ray, I tried.

6. Jon Stark

Jon Stark Jon Stark Belt Platinum Member

I think he'll be signed my mid September,

This is a sad social commentary but if a team suffers injuries (like Houston with Foster) that community will "justify" signing him. The potential for winning will offset the stigma that's now forever attached to Rice.

Same logic goes for if a team starts say 0-3, 0-4.

Just sign the guy and give him a chance to redeem himself.

It's too bad it takes unscheduled variables to help promote and induce his return.

7. drstrangelov

drstrangelov Hey.

The off season's all about self righteous people judging the league. Once the season starts the fans become transfixed on the actual competition. That's when a guy like Rice can be judged on his ability. And, once he's signed, if he plays well he earns supporters in the market where he plays, starts getting some positive attention.

8. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Silver Belt

I think people forget he is 28yrs old and his yards were already declining before the video surfaced. It's easier to get a younger guy for cheap to do the same thing than have to put up with the media circus in signing him.

9. Sure I guess why not.

BTW

Tom Brady GOAT!

10. ripskater

ripskater Guest

He deserves a second chance if someone will hire him. I believe in second chances, but Nfl teams should be the judge of that. Is he sincerely sorry or not, that's what they need to determine.

11. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

Yes... and here is why.. If we aren't going to give people a path to redemption then we need to be up front about it.. we need to tell them straight up, we will never allow you to recover from this.. I think he has done all anybody can do to make amends...we could have saved him a lot of energy and the media a lot of awkward-hopeful interviews if we just told him your out for life and nothing you can do can change that...

There's a line.. there's a point where you can't recover from it..where we won't ever accept you back into society... I think what he did was awful, but he didn't cross that line....we need to allow him an opportunity to recover and do good things again

12. speakhandsforme

speakhandsforme Black Belt

He doesn't "deserve" anything.

If his skills were worth the attention, he'd have a team. But running backs are expendable and he showed very visible wear during his last season on the field. He hasn't been blackballed: he just isn't as good as guys like Peterson and Hardy.

13. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

Thats not true.. he's not even getting tryouts because he represents a pr nightmare.. he was one of the most hated men in America for a while..what Hardy did is much worse, but Rice's shit is on film..and thats what turned him into the face of domestic violence...

14. TSO

TSO Cookie monster belt

I look to his at the time girlfriend and now wife's stance on it. She seems to be over being his punching bag so I am as well. Who are we to condemn him for something that the so called victim of isn't condemning him for?

15. ripskater

ripskater Guest

I haven't been following this story. But I saw the video. You are correct. Ray Rice is a PR nightmare.

His only chance is if he gets a guy like Tony Dungy to minister to him/counsel him, and then go out and tell the teams that he is a changed man. That's what Dungy did for Mike Vick. Vick owes his second chance to Coach Dungy.

16. speakhandsforme

speakhandsforme Black Belt

Time and time again, teams justify such nightmares when the player is worth it. See: Michael Vick, Adrian Peterson, etc.

Rice simply isn't. Running backs in general aren't worth it. How many above average backs just disappear without scandals? Remember how Michael Turner couldn't even get a contract a year after getting 1000 total yards and 11 touchdowns? Turner was coming off five straight double digit TD seasons.

17. ripskater

ripskater Guest

It may be the PR thing more than anything. And I can understand that.

18. ripskater

ripskater Guest

Maybe I'm wrong but when Rice did that, the impression I got was that he was one of the better rb's at the time?

19. TSO

TSO Cookie monster belt

That's understandable, I just don't agree with people thinking they need to take some sort of stand against him when his "victim" is wholeheartedly telling them all to fuck off.

20. ripskater

ripskater Guest

I hear you.