Ray Longo: "Cerrone just froze up and displayed zero fight IQ"

Sherdog hates Conor, this place breeds hate man.
I don't hate Conor. He might be a piece of shit outside the cage but he puts on exciting fights. Problem is the UFC PR machine and Dana has padded his record with some fucked up opponents and purposely avoided fighting guys that would give him trouble. I hope Conor goes for the 170 belt and if he actually has to fight guys like Wonderboy, he'll get fuckin killed before he can even fight the owl guy.

His biggest legitimate win was Aldo. Look how fucking embarrassed he got fighting Khabib. Khabib not only finished him but even dropped him with a shitty overhand right that was telegraphed a mile away.

One of the best front-runners in the game, a 1st round KO artist, against a guy who starts painfully slow, with a history of being over-whelmed in the first round. Who could've predicted such a result?

Cerrone vs Conor was one of the most carefully calculated and hand-picked match-ups that I've seen occur at the top level in UFC. Reminded me of boxing.

Anybody who didn't see this coming, must be blind as a bat.
Its up there like giving Chad Mendes 2 week notice to fight him and then claiming Conor can beat "wrestlers" and/or avoided fighting Frankie for years until the guy got essentially "old" in the cage - Conor kills Frankie today.

He's not wrong. Cerrone did nothing but offer Conor his chin. Didn't even go for the easy td in this work.

I dunno. Even rewatching it, thing looks funny.

I believe Cerrone had an agreement with Dana to keep it standing at all costs. That's the most suspicious thing in the whole fight. How he didn't complete the takedown Conor served him on a silver platter with that CM Punk punch and how he didn't try any submission whatsoever nearing the end of the fight.

If that's the case the fight is not exactly fixed, but even more skewed in Conor's favor. I still don't believe we are talking about a classic Bob Sapp fix.

His orbital bone was broken 1 second into the fight, and his nose 3 seconds later.

Then he got headkicked, dropped with punches, and stopped on the ground.

You guys are idiots.

His orbital bone was broken 1 second into the fight, and his nose 3 seconds later.

Then he got headkicked, dropped with punches, and stopped on the ground.

You guys are idiots.
Have to agree. It looked strange at first but regarding the injuries it is entirely possible he frooze up because of that. A orbital bone fracture can be very very painful.

Besides that Cerrone always was a ground player when it went naturally there but most of the times preferred to bang it out. Its not out of character.

The freezing up is also classic Cerrone. Even right at the start of his career that was his problem in some fights.

Have to agree. It looked strange at first but regarding the injuries it is entirely possible he frooze up because of that. A orbital bone fracture can be very very painful.

You can see when he comes up off the opening knee his eye is already bruised and swollen, and his first instinct wasn't the clinch he found himself now in but to try and paw at his eye.

So he was compromised immediately into the fight, and then Conor made it worse with those shoulder strikes on the same spot, and then also breaking his nose seconds later.

The freezing up is also classic Cerrone. Even right at the start of his career that was his problem in some fights.

Also, Conor fought Cerrone how you're supposed to: constant forward pressure, not letting him get into his grove. It's why people thought Conor was the favourite as his style was Cerrone's known weakness.

And as Cerrone himself said, who the hell could've predicted that headkick (I did though - see AV)? He went down from punches yes, but he got hurt from something no one was expecting Conor to hit him with. And Conor is a vicious finisher when he's got his opponent hurt.

I believe Cerrone had an agreement with Dana to keep it standing at all costs. That's the most suspicious thing in the whole fight. How he didn't complete the takedown Conor served him on a silver platter with that CM Punk punch and how he didn't try any submission whatsoever nearing the end of the fight.

If that's the case the fight is not exactly fixed, but even more skewed in Conor's favor. I still don't believe we are talking about a classic Bob Sapp fix.
This opinion is so stupid

POLITICS_161219904_AR_-1_IGAEZTITACZN.jpg
the deer would have done better. might have landed a front kick or two.

What's your explanation for Cerrone not completing the easiest takedown in his career then? He froze? The inertia of death in Conor's thigh stunned him? The fight was a fix?
You answered it yourself, Cowboy changed levels and took solid impact on his face going for the takedown. Ie. a stuffed takedown

Ray is still salty Cerrone beat the brakes off Al

The fight literally starts with Cowboy getting rocked and then rocked a couple more time which he suffers a broken nose. He is then finished in 40 seconds by TKO.

Cerrone didn't even have enough time to be frozen in the fight.

He froze up when he reached down for a double then did nothing before Conor's thigh slapped him, he froze in the clinch, and on the ground.... He didn't even try to struggle still as a board.

I would have respect a tap out.

It wasn't a good attempt, and he gave up immediately, but that's still more than he did on the feet.
whole fight was sad. Even tho Conor one punched Aldo, Aldo somehow put up a better fight than Cerrone did. Going out on your shield while throwing strikes and getting caught vs getting owned like you're the new guy in cell block 8.

He trains iaquinta so it’s not surprising he thinks cerrone is really good and just froze.

Cowboy Cerrone in the locker room just before every big fight he's been in.

3tJxqTb.jpg

He did just freeze up. He could have gone for a double leg or a trip in the clinch but he just sat there and let his opponent hit him with no threat to grapple.

Back