Ratings for 182 show putting a big star on prelims to increase buyrates is pure bs

I don't think the Prelims boost the PPV's as much as the PPV's boost the Prelims. For most of us here, it really doesn't matter. We watch both either way. ;)

Good point TS. I too believe that the PPV boosts the prelims and not the other way around.

I don't agree that more people watch the prelims than the main show either. Yeah, the FS1 show will technically have more viewers than the show has buys, but so many people watch the PPV in ways that are not counted in the buy rate. Foreign markets often just see the main show, some bars just do the main card, movie theaters dont show the prelims, etc.

I was at a packed bar for UFC181 and Faber's fight didn't draw very much attention and the Vegas crowd was empty as it notoriously is during prelims. I think they are dropping his stock putting him on there. Even a very good prelim fight is rarely talked about.

Everytime the UFC puts someone like Cruz or Faber on the prelims all we ever hear is this bs line that 'they're there to increase buyrates by attracting more viewers to the prelims' even though it is not at all based on reality.
http://www.mmaweekly.com/tv-ratings-for-ufc-182-prelims-make-it-second-most-watched-to-date-on-fs1

These prelims, which we're headlined by Danny Castillo vs. Paul Felder, an unpopular veteran, and a guy coming off of a fairly unimpressive UFC debut, drew the second highest rating since the UFC moved to FS1, behind the UFC 168 (Weidman vs. Silva II) prelims. While there is no buyrate yet, all trending patterns show that this was the most successful PPV since UFC 168. So, it appears what actually draws buyrates to the PPV and prelim ratings is just an interesting PPV main event.

Not that any of this really matters, but it shows that there is really no reason to be putting guys like Faber and Cruz on the prelims when there are worse fights on the PPV.

I never heard the "big names on prelims to up buy rates" myth... I always thought that they put a somewhat big name prelim "main event" so people will have a compelling reason to tune into the prelims... Like fox doesn't just want a bunch of nobodies fighting on FS1 and all the UFC's star power displayed on PPV

PPV #s are important for the ufc but FOX wants eyes on their channel

The thing is they put Faber as the prelim headliner on already stacked cards or cards with a really anticipated main event.

They did with UFC 175 that had Ronda, Weidman, and Machida. Then once more with UFC 181 that had 2 title fights and a solid main card.

Pretty sure Faber is his request. Not quite sure about Cruz though.

It's a tough study to compare because UFC 182 isn't your average card, I suppose. I'd like to see the ratings if you put a "name" on an average PPV prelim headliner vs putting the name on the third fight of said average PPV.

Stacking the main card doesn't increase PPV buys either. UFC 182 is an example of that.

Everytime the UFC puts someone like Cruz or Faber on the prelims all we ever hear is this bs line that 'they're there to increase buyrates by attracting more viewers to the prelims' even though it is not at all based on reality.
http://www.mmaweekly.com/tv-ratings-for-ufc-182-prelims-make-it-second-most-watched-to-date-on-fs1

These prelims, which we're headlined by Danny Castillo vs. Paul Felder, an unpopular veteran, and a guy coming off of a fairly unimpressive UFC debut, drew the second highest rating since the UFC moved to FS1, behind the UFC 168 (Weidman vs. Silva II) prelims. While there is no buyrate yet, all trending patterns show that this was the most successful PPV since UFC 168. So, it appears what actually draws buyrates to the PPV and prelim ratings is just an interesting PPV main event.

Not that any of this really matters, but it shows that there is really no reason to be putting guys like Faber and Cruz on the prelims when there are worse fights on the PPV.

I agree with your take on the viewership of the prelims. From my own personal experience, fans were so invested in UFC 182 and the rivalry, there was a desire to consume any and all content related to Jones vs Cormier. People were into the event and if you're going to buy a PPV you make a night of it including the prelims.

Faber and Cruz both said they asked to be on the prelims because more people will see them (on cable vs. PPV).

Back