Rate this dudes pad work...

1. Needs a heavier bag
2. Needs to be taught footwork
3. Wear boxing gloves when hitting the bag

Those are the three main things. Nearly everything else needs alot of work but you would need to get the footwork down first.

Also that's bagwork not padwork.

The guy looks like he knows what he's doing to me. The kicks are hard and fast. The knees are hard. The hands are okay, but the Thais aren't really known for exceptional hands. I don't see anything wrong with the footwork. What is it that you think needs a lot of work?

I don't know man, he looks really shit. Even when I'm just fooling around on the bag, the technique is perhaps emphasised even further because I don't care about the power and just work on movement.

Either you guys are easily impressed, taking the piss, or the dude is just fucking around. But if he truly was a kickboxing champ then credit/kudos to him.

Yeah I agree with the guy above, I know you all need to act impressed now you've found out who he is but his technique is bad. Kicks are bad, footwork is nonexistant, boxing is poor. He doesn't even step properly or keep his hands up.

Also there doesn't seem to be any fights of his on the internet besides movie fights.

Typical fucking Sherdog, thinking they are better than a proffessional fighter that was a former kickboxing champion. I've known about Billy Chow ever since I was a kid he and Ken Lowe from Drunken Master 2 were Muay Thai champions that fought Benny Urquidez.

Learn to read and use the internet before you type.

Last edited:
Haha I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to notice he isn't a newbie. That's actually Billy Chow, who used to be a world champion kickboxer and has played many roles in movies (notably the fight scene with Jet Li). He's over 50 and still going at it. But that is indeed Frank Lee's gym that the video is shot at.

that explains the chinese/kung-fu style round kicks.

Typical fucking Sherdog, thinking they are better than a proffessional fighter that was a former kickboxing champion. I've known about Billy Chow ever since I was a kid he and Ken Lowe from Drunken Master 2 were Muay Thai champions that fought Benny Urquidez.

Whatever I've fought professionally too. His bagwork isn't very good, some people are good fighters but poor in the gym maybe he's one of those guys. his bagwork still isn't technically good.

Whatever I've fought professionally too. His bagwork isn't very good, some people are good fighters but poor in the gym maybe he's one of those guys. his bagwork still isn't technically good.

Got any fights or bagwork you can post?

Not everyone throws punches and kicks like everyone else, the guy obviously has power and knows how to fight, there's no point in looking sharp in the gym then getting beat up in the fight. He's a legend, a world champion and fought some of the best. He's over 50 ffs, how many people can still fight at that age? Billy Chow deserves way more respect.

After watching these fight videos, I can guess how he became a champion. He does know basic defense and his reactions are good. In standup, soemtimes you can get away with poor technique, look at James Toney and even Chuck Lidell's non-connventional standup.

Still though, the bag work looks terrible.

The thread title says rate his bag work. That's what I did. Maybe you should learn how to read you fucking twat.

And who gives a shit if you knew him since you were a kid. Big deal, what's that got to do with anything?

Not everyone throws punches and kicks like everyone else, the guy obviously has power and knows how to fight, there's no point in looking sharp in the gym then getting beat up in the fight. He's a legend, a world champion and fought some of the best. He's over 50 ffs, how many people can still fight at that age? Billy Chow deserves way more respect.

No one is disresepcting him you clown. We're providing opinions on a video that someone posted. And if you had read my post I clearly stated credit to him if he was a champ and etc. Again learn to read before typing tough guy.

Typical white belt expert meltdown.

after knowing is pro, im a little hesitant to critique. is it just me, or is his punches a little different that the norm? usually i see ppl twist more on the punches.

Yes I have plenty if you really want pm me.

The thread title said rate his bagwork that's exactly what I did. Maybe he is a great fighter, but the fact is his bagwork is bad.

Edit: well it actually said rate his padwork which was odd. I don't know why you would create a thread of a pro fighter doing bad bagwork to try lure people into critiquing him.

Last edited:
Why is his technique so awful then?

It's not awful.

This actually goes to show you that you can't tell good technique from bad technique. And that you obviously have only bad things to say. It's too funny lol you got owned Axelator.

His striking was good, but I'm not to familiar with kicks.

It's not awful.

This actually goes to show you that you can't tell good technique from bad technique. And that you obviously have only bad things to say. It's too funny lol you got owned Axelator.

His striking was good, but I'm not to familiar with kicks.

I think it shows how little you know to be honest. Maybe he is a great pro fighter. This bagwork session in the video is bad. You pretending it's good (or not really knowing) because you now know he's a pro fighter shows how little you know about kickboxing/Muay Thai technique.

Here's good bagwork:

YouTube - Mike Tyson hits the heavybag (Cut ver)

YouTube - Ekapone training in bag ( Scorpion gym )

Keeping the technique sharp and working on specific elements of there game as opposed to wondering around the bag with a strange open guard dropping your hands and throwing strange kicks.

Like I said he might be a good fighter but this bagwork video is no good. Pretending it's good because you found out he's a pro fighter show how little you know.

I think it shows how little you know to be honest. Maybe he is a great pro fighter. This bagwork session in the video is bad. You pretending it's good (or not really knowing) because you now know he's a pro fighter shows how little you know about kickboxing/Muay Thai technique.

Here's good bagwork:

YouTube - Mike Tyson hits the heavybag (Cut ver)

YouTube - Ekapone training in bag ( Scorpion gym )

Keeping the technique sharp and working on specific elements of there game as opposed to wondering around the bag with a strange open guard dropping your hands and throwing strange kicks.

Like I said he might be a good fighter but this bagwork video is no good. Pretending it's good because you found out he's a pro fighter show how little you know.

It's even more sad that you accuse others of pretending because we found out he was pro.

You're trying so hard to convince yourself that it's bad technique but it's so obvious and funny to everybody else that you don't know anything.

To be completely honest even before I knew he was pro I was going to reply to you and tell you that you have no idea what your talking about. I actually had a tab open ready to reply to you.

lol at you. I bet you try so hard to find flaws. I bet your the person that hangs around in stand up section just to tell people there flaws in a sad attempt to seem somewhat knowledgeable in good technique. GTFO of stand up technique and stop playing coach little kid.

No, the title said critique it and I did.

Why don't you tell me what's good about his bagwork if you know so much. So far you haven't commented on stand up technique at all.

Why don't you tell me what's good about his bagwork if you know so much. So far you haven't commented on stand up technique at all.

I've already said his striking is good, but I'm not to familiar with kicks. I said that in my first post.

If you want me to go into details I will be more than glad to tell you.

• His stance seems good considering he stays balanced.
  • He shifts his weight properly when he jabs, and when he throws a straight.
  • He doesn't lean into his punches.
  • He knows how to circle and jab.
  • He keeps his chin down.
  • His defense is slightly lax, but he keeps at least one of his hands up when he's throwing a punch.
  • His footwork seems good.

I'm not saying he's amazing; I'm just saying his technique is good. That doesn't mean he's a good fighter. He just has good technique.

A single video of pad/bag work doesnt mean anything. I can show you a video of Mayweather dancing around the bags and people are gonna say he doesnt know what hes doing

I've already said his striking is good, but I'm not to familiar with kicks. I said that in my first post.

If you want me to go into details I will be more than glad to tell you.

• His stance seems good considering he stays balanced.
  • He shifts his weight properly when he jabs, and when he throws a straight.
  • He doesn't lean into his punches.
  • He knows how to circle and jab.
  • He keeps his chin down.
  • His defense is slightly lax, but he keeps at least one of his hands up when he's throwing a punch.
  • His footwork seems good.

I'm not saying he's amazing; I'm just saying his technique is good. That doesn't mean he's a good fighter. He just has good technique.

He does a lot of things right but also a whole fundamentally lot wrong.

His punches aren't snappy, he punches in the chest area, he doesn't bring his hands back to his face after punhing, he's flat footed the whole time, and there's no turning from the hips during power punches and kicks.

If you think h=that is good technique, then whatever, it's your opinion and entitled to it.

Axelator: that vid of Ekapone is probably not the best vid to show striking skills on the bag. But it's certainly better than Mr. Chows.

Your tecnique doesn't have to be great to be an effective fighter. Ive saw alot of pro fighters in international muay thai and in mma that look like shit on the bag and pads, but have great records. As i've also seen alot of guy that looks good on the pads but suck in the ring.....i would fall into the last category haha. well maybe i don't suck, but i'm not going to be a champion in this life time that's for sure...or even close.

Yeah I know, I was just saying that this video suggests his bagwork is bad. Might still be a good fighter.

Boy, am I entering a hornet's nest here. As the OP asks, judging this video and this video alone -- these three minutes and ten seconds -- I'd also come to the conclusion that it does not look great, at least from a muay Thai standpoint. I've certainly seen worse, of course. I'd say his knees probably looked the best out of all of his strikes.

The fact that he's an older dude is pretty important to keep in mind, as well. Seeing him hit the pad at fifty certain doesn't do the twenty-one year old version of him any justice.

Flame away, I suppose.

He does a lot of things right but also a whole fundamentally lot wrong.

His punches aren't snappy, he punches in the chest area, he doesn't bring his hands back to his face after punhing, he's flat footed the whole time, and there's no turning from the hips during power punches and kicks.

If you think h=that is good technique, then whatever, it's your opinion and entitled to it.

Axelator: that vid of Ekapone is probably not the best vid to show striking skills on the bag. But it's certainly better than Mr. Chows.

Wow you are completely wrong. And now I'm going to completely pick apart your post.

His punches aren't snappy. he punches in the chest area
Right/Debatable: Maybe that's as fast as he can throw a punch and bring it back. Maybe that's his style.

he punches in the chest area.
Wrong: If he were to punch any higher the resistance would be extremely low; the bag would fly away so much more. The bag is denser at the middle to lower half. I guess it's just preference, but your wrong.

he doesn't bring his hands back to his face after punhing.
Somewhat agree: I said his defense is kind of lax, but he still manages to keep one of his hands up. It could be way better, but maybe that's his style. One hand high protecting the face and ribs, one hand low protecting the ribs, and abdomen.

he's flat footed the whole time

Wrong/debatable: It's extremely hard to tell from the video quality. It seems like you are just guessing. But I've seen him on the balls of his feet a few times so I would imagine he was like that the entire time. Maybe his not on his toes like a ballerina, but he is on them.

there's no turning from the hips during power punches and kicks.

Wrong: He turns from the hips with power punches, and his jabs.

I was completely honest, and I even somewhat agree with you in some points:

2 wrong.
1 wrong/debatable.
1 somewhat agree but debatable.
1 Right/debatable.

Back