Movies Rate Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

My opinion is

• Total voters
It tops Will Smiths what are we, some kind of suicide squad? But can't match the earnestness of Fassbender saying you blow, I'll do the fingering.

Somehow Palpatine returned.
Somehow we are from the planet Zeist.
Somehow John Connor became a terminator.
Somehow Brent Spiner survived Independence Day.

The John being the terminator bit made me so mad lol. I went with someone to see genesis so I couldn't just leave. I was so bored and annoyed I sat on my phone the entire movie. Something I've never done before or since.

The issue with this movie was it was a franchise movie that had a director who wanted to do his own thing. This involved tearing down everything the previous movie had set up instead of building on it. This wasn't workable.

Johsnons a good filmaker who worked on Breaking Bad and I remember being excited once I learned that but this goes to show fit matters. It was simply an awful fit. A franchise is going to have fans who are invested in the universe and story, someone hijacking the universe to make an indy film was always going to offend fans.

The issue with this movie was it was a franchise movie that had a director who wanted to do his own thing. This involved tearing down everything the previous movie had set up instead of building on it. This wasn't workable.

Johsnons a good filmaker who worked on Breaking Bad and I remember being excited once I learned that but this goes to show fit matters. It was simply an awful fit. A franchise is going to have fans who are invested in the universe and story, someone hijacking the universe to make an indy film was always going to offend fans.

Exactly. Unfortunately, they hired JJ Abrams again and tried to do something fan service in the terrible sequel so we have a trilogy that it's completely disconnected and actually hurts the lore of SW.

Johnson has directed Knives Out after this one, and that was good.

It tops Will Smiths what are we, some kind of suicide squad? But can't match the earnestness of Fassbender saying I'll do the fingering.

What are we some kind of Sherdog Mayberry Crew?

DINO DE LAURENTIIS presents a ZACK SNYDER film
MIKE90 CLIPPY 99SILVA POSITIVEBALANCE UBERTS BISEXUALMMA
"SHERDOG MAYBERRY CREW"
CHEESE SWEETVIOLENTURG FINGERCUFFS and THEWORM
written by DAMON LINDELOF directed by ZACK SNYDER

Pretty bad if I’m being honest. I like Rian a lot and don’t think you can hold that film against his overall quality as a writer/director but that movie just had so many issues both little and large.

Some of the smaller things bother me the most. Rose crashing her vehicle into Finn’s cause we win with love not hate or some crazy stuff was so asinine to me. One of those moments where it makes no sense and you can only even partially justify it if you reason that the character had read the script and knew the outcome of her action beforehand.

Cause otherwise, there’s no guarantee that Rose doesn’t kill Finn and herself in that crash. And if she does so, not only does she a) thwart maybe your last hope to take out that weapon b) kill the guy you were attempting to save and c) die in the process.

quite the gamble.

I actually enjoy JJ’s second one more than TLJ cause as nonsensical as it was, by that point we sort of knew the trilogy was a lost cause and you could just put your brain on autopilot and enjoy the show.

Palps is back?? What? Whatever more McDiarmid, let’s go! Wayfinders, Sith home planet, random fleet of Star Destroyers from God knows where? I’m in.

I thought Isaac and Boyega, at the very least, had better story arcs in Rise of Skywalker and overall, I was entertained.

TLJ not only has a bunch of frustrating aspects, it also doesn’t have much rewatchability and I don’t find it particularly entertaining.

One of the reasons I actually go to bat for Solo and Rogue One is that they were, at the very least, entertaining, fun movies from my perspective.

Haha.

Oh man ID4 2 was a twenty years too late sequel if there ever was one.

Smith showing that Keanu/Speed 2 foresight with that one.

Exactly. Unfortunately, they hired JJ Abrams again and tried to do something fan service in the terrible sequel so we have a trilogy that it's completely disconnected and actually hurts the lore of SW.

Johnson has directed Knives Out after this one, and that was good.

Knives Out was very entertaining. Hopefully he can pull off something similarly good with the sequel cause as much as I enjoyed Craig’s work and as great as the supporting cast was, De Armas’ likability was a major factor in that film’s success in my view.

What are we some kind of Sherdog Mayberry Crew?

DINO DE LAURENTIIS presents a ZACK SNYDER film
MIKE90 CLIPPY 99SILVA POSITIVEBALANCE UBERTS BISEXUALMMA
"SHERDOG MAYBERRY CREW"
CHEESE SWEETVIOLENTURG FINGERCUFFS and THEWORM
written by DAMON LINDELOF directed by ZACK SNYDER
The death count in that crew is worthy of a suicide squad movie lol.

To be fair the last one is really the main thing that made the ID4 sequel worth watching.

To be fair the last one is really the main thing that made the ID4 sequel worth watching.

Yeah I can't actually think of anything else that was mildly entertaining from the movie.

Knives Out was very entertaining. Hopefully he can pull off something similarly good with the sequel cause as much as I enjoyed Craig’s work and as great as the supporting cast was, De Armas’ likability was a major factor in that film’s success in my view.

I agree, check out Looper and Brick too.

I agree, check out Looper and Brick too.

Yup saw both. Really good. Brick was a really cool noir genre experiment. Looper is just awesome in my book. Might be Willis’ best movie in the past ten years.

JGL is really good. I’m surprised he hasn’t had better recent roles. Trial of Chicago 7 was usual strong Sorkin stuff but I can’t think of much else he’s been in of note in past few years.

Yup saw both. Really good. Brick was a really cool noir genre experiment. Looper is just awesome in my book. Might be Willis’ best movie in the past ten years.

JGL is really good. I’m surprised he hasn’t had better recent roles. Trial of Chicago 7 was usual strong Sorkin stuff but I can’t think of much else he’s been in of note in past few years.

Agreed, i think he's good and even on a technical scale TLJ isn't bad, it's the story which is atrocious. I feel the only people who liked TLJ are non-SW fans.

He starred in TDKR and Inception, by the way.

I cant remember what i first rated it years ago, but its higher than it is now and rightly so.

Id rate it at a 3. Maybe a 2 if i allowed a TrueBias because it was such a fucking insult.

Now that the trilogy is whole, its easy to see there was NO payoff and no repair.

The discussion last time was the money it made. Yeah, i paid too and i regretted it. I boycotted the franchise, streaming Solo and eventually Rise of Shit. Solo i liked, Rise was shit.

Pretty clear they got the memo because their sales projections were MAJORLY off in just about every selling product.

I got a sneak peak of the disney star wars area and....its from this fucking trilogy! When i saw the bar, i thought, THE CANTINA! Nope. Some bullshit bar.

Thank god for Mandalorian and Boba Fett.

One problem I have with it is the many kiddie moments in the movie. Silly moments and the closing of the film is literally this no name kid who likes donkeys and plays with toys and I'm like seriously? The dialogue throughout the whole movie is cringy. Its boring and immature like the phantom menace.
Fuel?
Laura Derns character was awful except when she sacrificed herself.
Del Toro stutters.
Rey is not good in it. Neither is Poe. Finns ok but he was on a stupid mission.
Smoke being a nothing was stupid.
Kylo is ok but this is the worst of the three for him.

I think after this movies backlash everybody turned on Disney Star wars and didnt give Rise of Palpatine a chance. 9 is better than 8 imo

Agreed, i think he's good and even on a technical scale TLJ isn't bad, it's the story which is atrocious. I feel the only people who liked TLJ are non-SW fans.

He starred in TDKR and Inception, by the way.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I thought he was really good in both. But I think of those as a while back as it’s been a decade or more. 2010-2012 he was all over the place with big roles. I feel like from ‘15 on I hadn’t seen much of him. Don’t know if it was a deliberate scale back since he had been so busy over those years and since he and his wife had a couple of kids or if he just wasn’t getting the same level of visibility for whatever reason.

It's the worst movie I've ever seen. I laughed so hard when Leia started force flying through space and when Luke throws Anakins lightsaber away. So fucking bad.

Back