Movies Rate Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

My opinion is

• Total voters
Extremely mediocre. For the whole trilogy i wanted to see luke and got to see a couple of minutes before he dieded. The whole trilogy was crap apart from the third which was reasonably good.

If I saw a pristine, unopened copy of this movie sitting in a garbage can or on the ground, I'd leave it there

I enjoyed this film alot more than others did. I didnt agree with them making Luke a bitch of course,but the rest I genuinely enjoyed as far as I can remember. At least they did different shit than the fan service of the first one. Of course they flushed it all down the toilet w bringing Palapatine back in the 3rd one,which showed they had no faith in their own storytelling,in the end...which blights the other two previous movies.

I left the theater scratching my head and as soon as I begun to really think about the movie, I realized it was absolute dogshit and George Lucas should've never sold the franchise.

That is really a significant issue with all the sequels, even though Abrams didnt write this it does I think follow a similar style were it just throws plot points at your face so fast it hopes you don't realise they don't make much sense, after the first viewing though its hard to ignore it.

I would say in its favour the Kylo stuff in much of the film(until he turns into a petulant badguy again at the end) is actually pretty good and IMHO just about the only part of the sequels that really shows much ambition.

You do have the waters being muddied of course by the film deliberately trolling the alt right crowd but that doesnt make it good cinema, about half the film is the same shitty winking meta bro comedy as Abrams that IMHO falls just as totally flat.

Hiring Abrams was IMHO the shitest decision Hollywood made in the last decade, basicallty condemed the sequels to cheap nostalgia sideshow with a limited shelf life.

What’s funny is that it’s the most beautifully filmed Star Wars movie with one of the worst character arcs and ridiculously nonsensical stories put to the silver screen.

That slow ship chase scene is just so stupid it’s hard to wrap your head around. It was also the movie that ruined whatever cohesiveness the new trilogy meant to have.

What’s funny is that it’s the most beautifully filmed Star Wars movie with one of the worst character arcs and ridiculously nonsensical stories put to the silver screen.

That slow ship chase scene is just so stupid it’s hard to wrap your head around. It was also the movie that ruined whatever cohesiveness the new trilogy meant to have.
Not saying this in the cliché passive aggressive manner - seriously, you do you, if you like it that's great - but UGLY on every level is the word I'd use for it. And it's not said enough. The movie was fucking ugly. The actors, the creatures, uninspired new locations, the ridiculous Muppets-level practical effects, the TV lighting of these Disney SW movies, the outdated designs who look like a joke when presented with modern day technology with current day tech.

It's a visual medium and yet close to everything about it - besides Oscar Isaac [no homo] - is not pleasant to look at. Add to it all the disgusting, petty, fan-detesting, political underlying garbage, lack of story & characters, etc.

Not saying this in the cliché passive aggressive manner - seriously, you do you, if you like it that's great - but UGLY on every level is the word I'd use for it. And it's not said enough. The movie was fucking ugly. The actors, the creatures, uninspired new locations, the ridiculous Muppets-level practical effects, the TV lighting of these Disney SW movies, the outdated designs who look like a joke when presented with modern day technology with current day tech.

It's a visual medium and yet close to everything about it - besides Oscar Isaac [no homo] - is not pleasant to look at. Add to it all the disgusting, petty, fan-detesting, political underlying garbage, lack of story & characters, etc.

Really I think all the sequels tend to follow the more simplistic style of modern blockbusters, bright eye catching colours and really simple in your face compositions. If a modern Starwars film has a case for being the best looking(personally I think thats still ESB) for me its clearly Rogue One which I think understands the style of the originals far better and is was made by a director with a history of visually strong films like Monsters and Godzilla.

As I said in the thread a week or two ago I think the visual style of the originals is very underrated, they might be the dawn of modern blockbusters but they were made by people who's background was new hollywood. ESB for example was shot by Peter Suschitzky(I suspect with quite a free hand was Kershner was more an actors director) who went onto work with David Cronenberg for years.

Look at say the lightsaber fight between Luke and Vader on Bespin and its a masterwork of understatement compared to the modern films were everything is ultra brightly lit with ultra closeups.

Rogue One is better than all Star War movies not 3 to 6.
Meh

It was OK. A step in the right direction but not a great film. Its still a fuckin movie about something that destroys planets, if it werent for the final scene,id completley forget this movie existed,and thats all basically relying on an actually good movie (a new hope) from 50 yrs ago

Meh

It was OK. A step in the right direction but not a great film. Its still a fuckin movie about something that destroys planets, if it werent for the final scene,id completley forget this movie existed,and thats all basically relying on an actually good movie (a new hope) from 50 yrs ago

I think you misinterpret my post. I am not saying R1 is great, I am saying the rest sucked.

I think you misinterpret my post. I am not saying R1 is great, I am saying the rest sucked.
Well it being better than them is not saying much i guess. Too many gush about this movie but its only OK to me except for the end

Really I think all the sequels tend to follow the more simplistic style of modern blockbusters, bright eye catching colours and really simple in your face compositions. If a modern Starwars film has a case for being the best looking(personally I think thats still ESB) for me its clearly Rogue One which I think understands the style of the originals far better and is was made by a director with a history of visually strong films like Monsters and Godzilla.

As I said in the thread a week or two ago I think the visual style of the originals is very underrated, they might be the dawn of modern blockbusters but they were made by people who's background was new hollywood. ESB for example was shot by Peter Suschitzky(I suspect with quite a free hand was Kershner was more an actors director) who went onto work with David Cronenberg for years.

Look at say the lightsaber fight between Luke and Vader on Bespin and its a masterwork of understatement compared to the modern films were everything is ultra brightly lit with ultra closeups.
Oh, the OT was stylish. And I do get brought back and immersed in the world when I revisit them, but it's like sports athletes - you can't take a man out of his time. All the OT artists worked within the limitations of their time. But when you take something that was built to be shot a certain way by equipment of its time - take those limitations and put them into current day of unlimited opportunities - it's not flattering to them.

So the Yoda puppet in ESB still works cause, by that point, I'm immersed. In TLJ - I'm laughing my ass off. Ackbar in ROTJ - I'm immersed. Ackbar in TFA - fucking hilarious.

But, yeah, Roozh One was kind of forgettable of a story, so it keeps slipping my mind, but I would agree that Gareth Edwards has more style. Part of why I liked that 2014 Godziller flick was just because of how he shot it. But those reshoots Disney did really affected the movie overall, I wanna say I can almost guess which scenes he was sidelined for.

Yeah Awakens has some good moments. But TLJ Rise are both laughably bad. I think Rise is even worse than this movie, which shouldn't really be possible.

Somehow palpatine has returned....

An absolute trainwreck of a film that sank the franchise. A totally nonsensical story, shits on legacy characters, relies entirely on half baked themes, and does nothing to rectify the issues that started in TFA, it actually makes things much worse. What was done to Luke was unforgivable. The only people who like this movie are either superfans who don't care what the product is as long as it has Star Wars plastered on it somewhere, or pseudo-intellectuals who think the movie is far deeper than it actually is.

Lol and the way the line is delivered makes it so much better. He sounds so bewildered

{<huh}

It was like Oscar Isaac begged JJ for a week not to make him say it, then got his manager to call JJ, then tried to get a meeting with Kathleen Kennedy and she wouldn't see him, and then shooting day arrived and he just kind of trudged to his mark and said it.

The new version of Harrison's voice over narration for Bladerunner.

I went to see it in the cinema and the tone was set immediately in the opening with a "yo momma" joke. I actually thought the beginning of the movie was a spoof advert for Star Wars or an outtake.

I tried to like it at first because i love Star Wars but upon watching it again i was unsuccessful in convincing myself it was any good. It's not my least liked movie ever just because it's a shit movie, it's my least liked because on top of being a shit movie it also ruined something i enjoy a great deal and have done my entire life.

It became the last Star Wars movie i would see in the cinema having seen the prequels and OT on the big screen. I did eventually watch Rise Of Skywalker and while i didn't find it as bad it was still quite poor and nothing more than an unsuccessful salvage operation.

The Mandalorian series has given Star Wars hope again though, and for the future of the franchise i would like to see the new series' bulldoze the sequel trilogy and make something worthy of Star Wars. I'd also like to see The Old Republic era in movies and series as that is quite a vast playground for competent writers to work their magic.

I didn't even mind the Hux's mother thing when I saw it. It seemed kind of like something a Han Soloish guy might say to buy time and annoy the other general. Then I got a little suspicious when the opening space battle was stupid and these bomber things both moved as fast as a sea cucumber and were basically booby traps for each other. But I was still willing to roll with it.

Then Luke threw the lightsaber over a cliff and I just went...oh no.

It was like Oscar Isaac begged JJ for a week not to make him say it, then got his manager to call JJ, then tried to get a meeting with Kathleen Kennedy and she wouldn't see him, and then shooting day arrived and he just kind of trudged to his mark and said it.

The new version of Harrison's voice over narration for Bladerunner.
It tops Will Smiths what are we, some kind of suicide squad? But can't match the earnestness of Fassbender saying I'll do the fingering.

Back