Rate Deep Dish Pizza

Not a fan. I like pizza made the simple way, with quality ingredients being the star instead of a big thick mess.

Never had pizza with sauce on top, but isn't that how they do it in Cecily?

Chicago does deep dish like that, I can't stand it.

Pizza originated in Napoli if I'm not mistaken.
Either way give me the damn cheese on top sir lol

Last edited:
Reactions: HOV
Not a fan. I like pizza made the simple way, with quality ingredients being the star instead of a big thick mess.

Exactly sir.
Who wants to eat pizza with a fork lol.

Chicago styled deep dish is not really pizza. It's more like a casserole or a pie. The big debate should be stonebaked pizza vs NY styled pizza. I think the superior plain cheese slice is the NY styled pizza but people outside of America often disagree.

Simple and perfect...a slice of cheese pizza.

Trust me I do tell them that but they give me the Do you think American pizza is superior to authentic Italian pizza? I am dead serious when I say yes

Now, I haven't been to Italy so I can't really judge that.
I can say that I used to live in New York for shirt time, Im from Boston and New York pizza is awesome.

Better than Philly, Chicago, of anywhere else.
There's a few in Boston that come close, but brick oven pizza is different...still good but different.

Now, I haven't been to Italy so I can't really judge that.
I can say that I used to live in New York for shirt time, Im from Boston and New York pizza is awesome.

Better than Philly, Chicago, of anywhere else.
There's a few in Boston that come close, but brick oven pizza is different...still good but different.
Didn't realize you were a fellow Bostonian. Boston/MA/NE pizza gets a bad rap because of the higher concentration of Greek pizza relative to NY/NJ/PA. But there are good pizza joints in our neck of the woods with real Italian immigrant pizza. Even some of the chains started by real Italians like Regina and Papa Gino's are pretty good. Frank Pepe's from CT is also good, and they're in Boston/MA now.

Bulgarian pizza is better than the pizza I've had in Italy.
I've been to Italy about a 1/2 dozen times. I've had better pizza in France. Best Italian food I ever had was in London. They also don't give you a proper salad dressing in Italy most of the time. Just give you olive oil and vinegar instead.

<WhatItIs>

I've been to Chicago. Didn't have deep dish. The locals don't eat it much. I dined with a mix of locals and out of towners and we had Chicago-style thin crust. It was good, but basically pales in comparison to New York pizza.

I've had Chicago-style hot dogs, but not in Chicago. In Chicago, I just had a plain hot dog with mustard. It was good, not great. It wasn't at a real hot dog place. It was at a concession stand at a rock concert/festival I went to. I'd say the Chicago-style hot dogs are actually better than New York hot dogs, perhaps with the exception of Papaya King and that type of style, which isn't synonymous with NY hot dogs.

In Boston, we used to have a lot of Uno locations, which were good. Not just for deep dish pizza, which they invented, but they had good sliders and other stuff. They don't really have them anymore. There's one location out in the middle of nowhere now.

I've had Italian beef, but again, not in Chicago. It's probably good at real Chicago places, but I had it at a place in South Florida. Sometimes there are good places with regional foods in SF, like Primanti Brothers from Pittsburgh, or Skyline Chili from Cincinnati, or a joint run by transplants from those areas, but this place wasn't one of them.

As a side note, I flew first class to Chicago, which was one of the last times I've flown first class. They served food from Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill as one of the dining options on the flight. Best food I've ever had on a plane. Probably still not as good as in the restaurant, but it was nice.

Also stayed in a nice room at a fancy hotel, and they treated me to a nice slice of cake when I arrived in the room, because it had been my birthday a few days earlier. They had a real good TV setup with all the channels, and I was able to watch Fedor lose for the first time in forever to Werdum in the room for free.

I actually just flew back in from Chicago yesterday. The deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati's was really good, despite taking an hour to make. Had Chicago style hotdogs and Italian beef at Portillo's, though not on the same day. Chicago style hotdogs are incredible. Also, we ate at RPM Steak and it officially knocked Abe & Louie's out of my #1 "Best Steak I've Ever Had" list. I never thought it would happen.

Boston area pizza is fairly comparable, from Good to Great. I love Pizzeria Regina in the North End. Might be the best I've had around here. If you got any recommendations, please let me know.

I've been to Italy about a 1/2 dozen times. I've had better pizza in France. Best Italian food I ever had was in London. They also don't give you a proper salad dressing in Italy most of the time. Just give you olive oil and vinegar instead.

<WhatItIs>

Same.

Most disappointing thing about Italy was the food.

Pizza especially. "You've never had pizza until you've had pizza in Italy" is a massive myth.

Now I went to a few high end places where you pay through the nose, and the food was fantastic.......but your average place on the street I thought was no better than anywhere else I've been to, and in many cases worse.

I actually just flew back in from Chicago yesterday. The deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati's was really good, despite taking an hour to make. Had Chicago style hotdogs and Italian beef at Portillo's, though not on the same day. Chicago style hotdogs are incredible. Also, we ate at RPM Steak and it officially knocked Abe & Louie's out of my #1 "Best Steak I've Ever Had" list. I never thought it would happen.

Boston area pizza is fairly comparable, from Good to Great. I love Pizzeria Regina in the North End. Might be the best I've had around here. If you got any recommendations, please let me know.
Awesome. I'd love to visit Chicago again. Would definitely hit up Portillo's and Lou Malnati's. Among other places...

Best pizza I've had in Boston fairly recently was Frank Pepe's. Would say it's better than Regina's. I really like that New Haven style of pizza. Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza was my favorite in Florida. They've got two locations in MA in Natick and Littleton. Can't personally vouch for those locations, but if the quality is comparable to Florida locations, then it's damn good.

DiGiorno used to make a semi-decent one. Came on a metal tin and took about an hour to cook. They discontinued it for some reason.
Gino's East is okay but way too much crust for my liking.
PepperoniDeepDish.png+how+do+you+ship+frozen+pizza%22%2C%22frozen+pizza+questions%22

I would eat it as a dish but it isn't pizza to me. It is more like a parm dish. Besides NY, NJ, CT, I have had good pizza in Boston, and Philly. Otherwise you eat and it is either bad, or you say "Not terrible but not great".

1.) Trenton/Chambersburg style (cracker thin crust, chunky sauce, lots of garlic)
2.) New York style
3.) Sicilian
4.) Chicago deep dish (to me, this is a casserole not a pizza)

Last edited:
Back