Rate Deep Dish Pizza

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Just got some from a local place and damn, that was delicious. Had to eat it with a knife and fork tho. Usually I get thin crust but felt adventurous today. I'd give it a 9/10

It's awesome but I try not to eat it anymore. We used to have a place called Chicago down the street that was awesome but their recipe changed or something and it's nowhere near what it used to be.

Way too vague. Needs: Name of place? Toppings? Pics?

Chicago style checking in tho

I don't understand American pizzas. Not exaggerating, I don't know what a deep dish or Chicago pizza is. I thought it was the same thing

Just got some from a local place and damn, that was delicious. Had to eat it with a knife and fork tho. Usually I get thin crust but felt adventurous today. I'd give it a 9/10
Every time I had a layover in Chicago on my way back east I'd eat it at the airport. I love it, I should eat it more often but I've only had it while traveling

I've only eaten at Giordano's and Zachary's, but I liked both pretty well. Still think NY style is my favorite.

Probably my least favorite major style of pizza but I still like it

I'll give it an 8/10.

62306a_6306bbb508534634a5e2b73007328a56~mv2.jpg

I don't understand American pizzas. Not exaggerating, I don't know what a deep dish or Chicago pizza is. I thought it was the same thing

Deep dish is a little vague.

Chicago is flaky crust with raised edges like a pie. Cheese goes on bottom, then some toppings, then crushed tomatoes on top. Lots of fillings.
PizzaPull_72.jpg

Detroit pizza is a deep dish, square, thick crust, chewy, with brick cheese that goes all the way to the edges and gets crispy, and sauce spooned on top.
detroit-style-pizza.jpg

Pizza Hut popularized their own style deep dish pizza. It just basically has a thicker crust.
1099-L3T-Pan-1024x576.jpg

There are a handful of other styles (California, Sicilian, and probably few others), but my favorite is NY style, thin and foldable.
New-York-Pizza-Slice.jpg

Deep dish is a little vague.

Chicago is flaky crust with raised edges like a pie. Cheese goes on bottom, then some toppings, then crushed tomatoes on top. Lots of fillings.
PizzaPull_72.jpg

Detroit pizza is a deep dish, square, thick crust, chewy, with brick cheese that goes all the way to the edges and gets crispy, and sauce spooned on top.
detroit-style-pizza.jpg

Pizza Hut popularized their own style deep dish pizza. It just basically has a thicker crust.
1099-L3T-Pan-1024x576.jpg

There are a handful of other styles (California, Sicilian, and probably few others), but my favorite is NY style, thin and foldable.
New-York-Pizza-Slice.jpg
<JackieThumbsUp>

I've been to Chicago. Didn't have deep dish. The locals don't eat it much. I dined with a mix of locals and out of towners and we had Chicago-style thin crust. It was good, but basically pales in comparison to New York pizza.

I've had Chicago-style hot dogs, but not in Chicago. In Chicago, I just had a plain hot dog with mustard. It was good, not great. It wasn't at a real hot dog place. It was at a concession stand at a rock concert/festival I went to. I'd say the Chicago-style hot dogs are actually better than New York hot dogs, perhaps with the exception of Papaya King and that type of style, which isn't synonymous with NY hot dogs.

In Boston, we used to have a lot of Uno locations, which were good. Not just for deep dish pizza, which they invented, but they had good sliders and other stuff. They don't really have them anymore. There's one location out in the middle of nowhere now.

I've had Italian beef, but again, not in Chicago. It's probably good at real Chicago places, but I had it at a place in South Florida. Sometimes there are good places with regional foods in SF, like Primanti Brothers from Pittsburgh, or Skyline Chili from Cincinnati, or a joint run by transplants from those areas, but this place wasn't one of them.

As a side note, I flew first class to Chicago, which was one of the last times I've flown first class. They served food from Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill as one of the dining options on the flight. Best food I've ever had on a plane. Probably still not as good as in the restaurant, but it was nice.

Also stayed in a nice room at a fancy hotel, and they treated me to a nice slice of cake when I arrived in the room, because it had been my birthday a few days earlier. They had a real good TV setup with all the channels, and I was able to watch Fedor lose for the first time in forever to Werdum in the room for free.

Chicago styled deep dish is not really pizza. It's more like a casserole or a pie. The big debate should be stonebaked pizza vs NY styled pizza. I think the superior plain cheese slice is the NY styled pizza but people outside of America often disagree.

Back