Rate Cody's boxing

Dude has short ass arms, not perfect for jabs in MMA. Also would be terrible if he had to fight/box Conor.

How many guys in MMA truly have a good job? Sadly, you can still be in the top 80, 90% without it.

You can be the best fighter in the sport without a good jab in MMA. Jones has never had much of any jab despite his outrageous reach.

he is a better boxer than McGregor. He lost to the champ, but a journeyman turned McGregor into a panic wrestler

giphy.gif

{<jordan}

Let me know when Conor does dumb shit like that lol

Edit

Just so you retards don't reply with " Bu bu he lost to nate"

Let me be very specific. Tell me when Conor blindly runs into his opponent's power hand side and gets tagged, yet proceed to do the exact same thing 2 more time in a row until getting dropped.

Last edited:
He stood feet planted in the middle throwing hooks while DJ ducked and swinged the overhand. In short, not very good. He has fast hands, but his movement is very gappy.

You can be the best fighter in the sport without a good jab in MMA. Jones has never had much of any jab despite his outrageous reach.

Jones has those oblique kicks though which he uses as a jab with his legs. The point of the jab is distance management and Jones does that very well just happens to use his legs to do it. If he didnt have those kicks he would get exposed for not having a jab.

Dude has short ass arms, not perfect for jabs in MMA. Also would be terrible if he had to fight/box Conor.
Conor has almost a foot long reach advantage, that says it all lol. Cody actually said he'd knock Conor out after he beat Dom.

By "boxing" what are we talking here?

What is the measuring stick?

Would all pro boxers be a 10?

Because if Cody was an actual boxer than I'd say giving him a 2 would be generous and that's solely because he's athletic.

Jones has those oblique kicks though which he uses as a jab with his legs. The point of the jab is distance management and Jones does that very well just happens to use his legs to do it. If he didnt have those kicks he would get exposed for not having a jab.

True, he definitely finds ways to make up for relatively poor all around boxing skill. He's an excellent kicker; definitely one of the best in the entire sport, especially when you factor in versatility and variation (that's a tad redundant on the face of it, but I consider versatility and variation to be slightly different things). The fact he is also one of the best in-fighters in MMA history kind of helps him against guys who close the distance, as well. Honestly, Cormier rarely had too many issues closing the distance and did a fair amount of damage as a result, but he met very stiff resistance on the inside (both men are among the greatest in-fighters in MMA history).

Obviously skillful. We saw it in the Cruz fight. The guy just doesn't have enough IQ to overcome being so emotional.

Both Conor and Cody have holes all over the place and are very overrated in terms of technique. It just happens that the rest of the guys have terrible striking overall. MMA its still in the stone age.

By "boxing" what are we talking here?

What is the measuring stick?

Would all pro boxers be a 10?

Because if Cody was an actual boxer than I'd say giving him a 2 would be generous and that's solely because he's athletic.

Getting a pro boxing license doesn't really mean much. Back when I was in the gym every week, I was better than a lot of guys who are technically pros, but I was miles away from being a genuinely good boxer. Most top MMA guys who have some boxing acumen would be half-decent journeymen in boxing, which is meaningful. A half-decent journeyman tends to be the kind of guy who whoops essentially everyone in the gym (again, it depends where you are, though; I was never in a real boxing city for much time).

Last edited:
Outta 10? lol, I remember people saying he was a better boxer than Conor. He's got speed and power but.... a little overrated, imo.

They said he will beat Conor.
Shows how delusional Sherdog is.

Cody's strengths were always his footwork and fast combinations

For some unknown reason people had this misconception that TJ had the advantage from kickboxing range and that Cody had the advantage from boxing range, when in reality it was the complete opposite.

TJ was actually the better boxer

Cody needed to stay on the outside and control the fight with his footwork, deny TJ the opportunity to step to angles and or around him, with pivots and footwork thus forcing TJ to rush in on him on his terms and time him with combinations (catching TJ running into it)

Every time Cody steps into boxing range vs TJ, TJ is the better boxer with higher fight IQ and superior defensive responsibility when exchanging

For some reason, Cody can not just control his emotions vs TJ and fight the patient fight he needs to fight vs TJ

As long as Cody keeps fighting emotionally vs TJ, and keeps pressing him, TJ will always have the advantage with his superior boxing from mid-range to close range

Anyone who thought Cody ever had boxing skill even a fraction comparable to Conor was clueless, ignorant or delusional btw (Conor is the best boxer MMA history has ever seen at an elite level and it's not even close)

Cody has decent boxing at best I guess - to where he was more effective in MMA because of his footwork, combinations, and power. But He did outclass Cruz through the strengths of his footwork, patience and combinations

You cant take that away from Cody

TJ is a better boxer and striker

But I doubt anyone else can beat Cody at 135 like that

Cody is still among the best of the best at 135

@That209

Last edited:
yeah, I just saw a dumb got boxed into a panic wrestler
<36>
<JerryWWF>
That doesn't make any sense. I know you are a salty hater, you are surely not dumb enough to think whatever Conor did in that fight was remotely close to Cody running into his opponent's power hand side 3 times in a row, right??

Or are you that retarded?

Cody's strengths were always his footwork and fast combinations

For some unknown reason people had this misconception that TJ had the advantage from kickboxing range and that Cody had the advantage from boxing range, when in reality it was the complete opposite.

TJ was actually the better boxer

Cody needed to stay on the outside and control the fight with his footwork, deny TJ the opportunity to step to angles and or around him, with pivots and footwork thus forcing TJ to rush in on him on his terms and time him with combinations (catching TJ running into it)

Every time Cody steps into boxing range vs TJ, TJ is the better boxer with higher fight IQ and superior defensive responsibility when exchanging

For some reason, Cody can not just control his emotions vs TJ and fight the patient fight he needs to fight vs TJ

As long as Cody keeps fighting emotionally vs TJ, and keeps pressing him, TJ will always have the advantage with his superior boxing from mid-range to close range

Anyone who thought Cody ever had boxing skill comparable to Conor was clueless, ignorant or delusional btw.

Cody has decent boxing at best I guess - to where he was more effective in MMA because of his footwork, combinations, and power. But He did outclass Cruz through the strengths of his footwork, patience and combinations

You cant take that away from Cody

TJ is a better boxer and striker

But I doubt anyone else can beat Cody at 135 like that

Cody is still among the best of the best at 135
Agreed there. TJ is the better boxer.

Back