Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

This is unacceptable. Tropic thunder is one of the greatest comedies of all time.

8BOdkeo.gif
agreed.

Rewatched Cabin in the Woods. Chris Hemsworth dying is literally one of the funniest moments in any movie to me. Otherwise the movie is pretty good, but I like Tucker and Dale vs Evil a lot more.

Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw

Don't just give a title and a rating. Say something about it, doesn't have to be long, just a reason why it was good, bad or in between.

Guideline for the 10-star rating system:

10 - Excellent
9 - Great
8 - Good
7 - Pretty Good
6 - Decent
5 - Average/Fair/Meh
4 - Poor
3 - Bad
2 - Terrible
1 - Abysmal

Note: Some of your reviews might be copied to the official thread of the subject movie.

Link to previous thread: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/rate-and-discuss-the-last-movie-you-saw-v-15.3581831/

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
Solo_A_Star_Wars_Story_poster.jpg

I couldn't get past how poorly Alden Ehrenreich's incarnation of Han Solo lived up to Harrison's Ford's creation of the character. It simply wasn't the same character. Donald Glover really was no Billy Dee Williams either. Also, the plot was a little thin overall. Not a whole lot to it.

Seeing that Darth Maul still existed was interesting, but it's not clear why he isn't working for the Empire.

Glad it flopped, and we probably won't be seeing anymore of fake Han Solo. They would have been better off using CGI to recreate a young Harrison Ford and having Harrison Ford voice the character.

5/10 - "C-"

Last edited:
The assistant 0/10

I only made it through about an hour. literally NOTHING happened. It was about an assistant in an office. For an hour we saw her do assistant things. she assisted. that's it. and for some reason they ate non stop so you had to listen to them eat which is disgusting. I mean, I guess it is on me, as the title was exactly what the movie was about. an assistant. here is your coffee. here are some papers. sign this. you have a call. your appointment is at 4:30 on wednesday

Bad Times At the El Royale

This looked a a wannabe Tarantino flick, and in a lot of stylistic ways it is, but it's a damn good imitation. Group of strangers check into this mysterious hotel, and then you're left finding out all their motivations, as well as the hotel's itself. It's chronologically confused, and the pieces come together as the movie goes on, but the revelations are satisfying and keep you watching. The movie is very good at keeping it's secrets, until the reveal, and then tossing more mystery on top of the initial reveal to keep it fresh throughout. It all culminates in one the best final sequences I've seen in quite some time, with a scene chewing Chris Hemsworth just taking over the whole movie. You could tell he was game to break away from the "Thor" character for a bit. He's not in it very long, but he is every bit as mesmerizing as his character is presented as. Outstanding performance. Everyone else is great too, but he really steals the show when he shows up.

Bit of a vague breakdown there, but I don't want to spoil anything. Just check it out. One of the better recent movies I've seen.

9/10

Fish Tank

6/10

British movie, offering a bleak glimpse of life on a housing estate from the perspective of an angry 15 yr old girl with dreams of being a dancer. The film is focused on the interplay of the characters in her life and so the performances are very strong, but it is a slow build. It was on a list of greatest films of the decade, and although it was a decent watch with a cool soundtrack, it didnt leave the same impression on me that other films examining life in Britain have. Seen it compared to Ken Loach films, so if you like those -probably worth a watch.

Godfather

I tried to watch this movie when I was 18 when a teacher said it was his favourite movie. I didn't even get through it because I thought it was so boring. 20 years later, With the pandemic, new movies are slim picking so I decided to give this movie another shot. And now I understand why this movie is so highly rated. Though there is a glaringly bad scene in the middle with Sonny beating up Carlos. You can see the strikes were pulled, some didn't even land. That's pretty much my only criticism of the movie.

9.5/10

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

330px-A_Streetcar_Named_Desire_%281951%29.jpg

No doubt there were some strong performances in this film, but I didn't really enjoy the story all that much (which was filled with annoyingly dysfunctional characters).

5/10 - "C-"

Marked For Death (1990) - Hatcher (Steven Seagal) is an accomplished DEA officer who with a formidable sidekick-Max (Keith David) reveal a drug trafficking ring in the neighborhood. The head of a Jamaican drug gang, Screwface (Basil Wallace), orders a hit on Hatcher's family and a street war ensues. Screwface is a truly violent movie antagonist/villian. 7/10

Qcf0l86.jpg

marked-for-death.jpg
Watched this today, solid flick. Damn seagal was pretty brutal back in the day lol

It was always a big deal when the next Steven Seagal movie came out (back in the 90's). Awesome memories.
he fell off after under siege and did a buncha environmental films for some reason. he was never the same after that lol, he still has direct to dvd movies every year <6>

Infinity war
9/10
After endless of end credit scene we got to finnaly see Thanos in action. I love comics and what they did with Thanos is just amazing. Josh Brolin did a great job playing as Thanos, man his voice. He made this movie.

Ant Man and The Wasp (2018)

Ant-Man_and_the_Wasp_poster.jpg

This was definitely better than the first one. A better story, and the characters were better developed.

8/10 - "B"

Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw

Don't just give a title and a rating. Say something about it, doesn't have to be long, just a reason why it was good, bad or in between.

Guideline for the 10-star rating system:

10 - Excellent
9 - Great
8 - Good
7 - Pretty Good
6 - Decent
5 - Average/Fair/Meh
4 - Poor
3 - Bad
2 - Terrible
1 - Abysmal

Note: Some of your reviews might be copied to the official thread of the subject movie.

Link to previous thread: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/rate-and-discuss-the-last-movie-you-saw-v-15.3581831/

Dunkirk (2017)
Dunkirk_Film_poster.jpg

This film had its moments, but it was mostly underwhelming. I was expecting something much better.

6/10 - "C+"

Land of the Lost (2009)
Land_of_the_Lost_poster.jpg

It had it's moments. Will Ferrell and Danny McBride made the movie. I think there is potential in a sequel to follow up on McBride's character's status (if nothing else).

7/10 - "B-"

maxresdefault.jpg

The Collector (2009) - Being a first time viewer I'm split on my feelings on the movie. First, I did like how it was a group up of non-stars in the picture which can be refreshing. Some of you seem to recognize Josh Stewart and who he was, well I did not. I would of liked more of a backstory on who the antagonist/villian was other than he's a licensed exterminator and Hispanic man at the very beginning who gives a thumbs up, I guess a person could call this a minor issue. Again, I like a little more elaboration on motives and what engineers the madness though. When I recently watched Black Christmas it was the same thing in that movie, except you learn even less about the antagonist/villian.
Have you watched The Collection? More enjoyable movie imo as the pacing is a bit better and a satisfying ending. If the Collector left you wanting a bit more then I'd check it out.

Back