Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

It was a solid, very intriguing beginning of a movie, that suddenly just cut off & was like, ok guys, uh, that’s the movie. Here’s a spider, uh... the end. Pissed me off
First time it's a tragedy, second time is a farce. I was impressed how spiderlike they made Sarah Gadon at the beginning, which is the tragic version of the ending's farcical version.

It was a solid, very intriguing beginning of a movie, that suddenly just cut off & was like, ok guys, uh, that’s the movie. Here’s a spider, uh... the end. Pissed me off

Same here. They got to a point of awesomeness and then it was just kind of down hill from there. Liked it more when there was an eerie hitchcockian element to the two Jakes’ connection.

For example, the moment where professor Jake first sees actor Jake as a bellhop in a movie- that’s effectively trippy and strange. Very well done. Then the scene where they first confront one another and actor Jake is really intrigued and asking questions “when’s your birthday?” And professor Jake immediately starts to regret his decision to initiate a meeting- great stuff. Creepy. And Gyllenhaall is great there in each role.

Never really capitalizes on that early suspense. I appreciate all the psychoanalytic interpretations of the film though. Certainly not the straight up thriller I was expecting it to be.

First time it's a tragedy, second time is a farce. I was impressed how spiderlike they made Sarah Gadon at the beginning, which is the tragic version of the ending's farcical version.

Don’t know much about Gadon other than her good performance in Enemy, but I just caught her in a very solid film, Indignation. It’s based on a Phillip Roth novel and it’s quite well done. Certainly a downer though.

The real showcase of the film is a contentious scene between Logan Lerman and Tracey Letts as a college student and dean respectively. Builds tension really well and makes you uncomfortable just watching it play out.

And professor Jake immediately starts to regret his decision to initiate a meeting- great stuff. Creepy.
I love that moment -- it's slowly dawning on him that he's "not" the real persona, and then he tries to make a go of being Good Guy Jake but ultimately realizes they're all the same Jake and Jake may never escape his delusions even when his wife is willing to go with it. That's what bothered me with the end of FIGHT CLUB; I never bought the self-inflicted gunshot as having made any difference to the nature of the relationship.

Saw Halloween.

I have it at around a 5.5/10

It wasn't even that scary. It was pretty brutal, but there was a lot rehashed from the first movie and that took a lot away. There were points where I just wanted to fall asleep. It was an incredibly average movie, imo.

Bachelor Party (1984)

Bachelor_party_Movie_poster.jpg

I loved this movie in my younger years. Hadn't watched it in decades. It's a little dated, and the comedy is not as fresh and new as it was back then, but I really enjoyed the nostalgia of it and seeing a movie with that 80's party mentality again. It is also still Tom Hank's best comedy.

7/10 - "B-"

Appaloosa 6/10 - Mortensen and Harris were pretty decent, didn't feel epic at all like some other westerns but not bad.

Bram Stokers Dracula 3/10 - It's weird to me that this is so highly rated on Imdb. The movie is a mess, Hopkins and Oldman were the only decent parts of it. No one acted like a real person, the plot was all over the place and keanus acting and accent might be one of the worse things i've seen in a movie. I couldn't wait until it ended.

Watched Hereditary last night. I enjoyed the shit out of it. It reminded me of them old Brit horror movies from the 70s. I'm not into them gore filled movies they make these days so I don't watch much horror. The last one I enjoyed was that Babbadook. That was a good one. Anyway this was my kind of horror. It was slow moving, supernatural, tension based, kind of like The Shining. Then it tripped out and went balls to the wall crazy. There was some funny shit in there too but I don't want to spoil it. So if you like 70s horror this should be right up your street.

The Cable Guy (1996)

TheCableGuy.jpg

I last saw this movie in the 90's and back then I recall thinking it was more disturbing/annoying than it was funny. I figured I would give it a second chance. My opinion has not changed. It wasn't Jim Carrey's best work. He was annoying as hell. It might have been better if they had cast Chris Farley as his character instead (as was originally intended), but probably not by much. Matthew Broderick's character also wasn't very likable.

3/10 - "D-"

Overlord

7.5/10

Pretty decent movie. One of those movies where if you don't over think things you'll enjoy it.

10/10

Underrated performance by Ryan Gosling. Much of the time more subdued performances where an actor tries to authentically portray an introvert character go unappreciated, but I recognize what he was doing and I appreciate it.

@Cint

The film was amazing from beginning to end. Wish I could better articulate how I feel about this movie. Gosling was brilliant without much dialogue and that's acting at it's best. @Jackie Blue

Bohemian_Rhapsody_poster.png

Bohemian Rhapsody

7.5/10

Potentially Oscar-worthy performance by Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury. If you watch old interviews of Freddie, Rami really captures his speaking voice and mannerisms. He also worked with a movement coach so he could authentically portray Freddie's stage persona. Marc Martel does a great job of replicating Freddie's singing voice during the live performances. They got the best of both worlds with those two talented men to portray Mercury.

Could have been a 10/10 film if the entire production was at their level. However, the film sort of feels rushed and a bit all over the place. It sort of time travels back and forth and plays fast and loose with the facts. There's a lot of Mercury's background that could have been explored and wasn't. You've got to wonder how committed director Bryan Singer was to the project, how much of the film he actually directed before he was fired towards the end of the production, etc. It had the promise to be a truly great film, but it's still a fairly good one, largely thanks to Mr. Malek.

Unforgiven - 10/10

Not only an amazing Western, but an amazing movie. Almost felt like an episode of Cowboy Bebop rather than a movie. Especially the ending shot where it shows Clints characters silhouette in the sunset over a grave..

Also, Gene Hackman was a motherfucker in this one.

unforgiven_final_scene.png

Shit hit the feels man.

Last edited:
Watched the Infernal Affairs trilogy, the first one should have been standalone the sequels are just filler

9/10 for the first one.
5/10 each for the sequels

Surprised Upgrade wasn’t more discussed. A very good small-budget film. The actor was amazing and it was cool a film critic referenced this movie when reviewing Venom. It had an interesting premise but the execution was really well thought out. I hope more people can watch it.

Die Hard (1988)

Die_hard.jpg

I saw the re-release of this in the theater tonight. Die Hard is a movie that has aged really well. It set itself apart from other action films that came before it in part by making John McClain are really human and genuine character. Not only did Die Hard set itself apart from movies that came before it this way, but also movies that came after it. It is also good story with some depth and clever humor. Greatest action film of all time.

10/10 - "A+"

Last edited:
Surprised Upgrade wasn’t more discussed. A very good small-budget film. The actor was amazing and it was cool a film critic referenced this movie when reviewing Venom. It had an interesting premise but the execution was really well thought out. I hope more people can watch it.

Upgrade is an easy 9/10 for me, the best sci fi movie i've seen in years

Happy Death Day. I expected more. At least more spectacular scenes. Related story, more detective. I believe. that this is a romantic comedy with an element of death, you can watch it once.

The Break Up.

Watched it with my wife last night. I don’t know why she wanted to watch it. She said it was for old time’s sake as we saw that on our third date back when it came out in June 2006. I fucking hated it then and I hated it now.

When we saw it the first time it left me feeling uncomfortable as it stirred up some feelings at the time from a bad break up I had the year before with a girl I had been with nearly three years.

Watching it last night was even worse, because the movie gives a fairly realistic representation of some real faults that men and women can bring into a relationship. Then last night me and the wife had a really big fight, and an even bigger one today while we were out doing errands with our kids. Coincidence? I think not.

My advice to anyone: don’t watch that movie with your significant other. It’s not even funny. And I don’t mean I didn’t find it funny, I mean I don’t think it’s even meant to be funny. There’s only like 4 scenes in the whole movie that are meant to be funny, the rest is actually rather serious, but it’s simultaneously not quite a drama either.

Notwithstanding all my gripes I’ll still give it a 5, maybe even a 6/10 only for its realism at certain scenes, in particular the big fight that triggers the break up about 15 or so minutes in to the movie. The dialogue for that scene is well written and it’s also well acted.

Back