Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Edge of Tomorrow - 10/10

I couldn't wrap my head around the premise when the trailers for this movie first came out, but everything about it worked. The mix of action, scifi, comedy, drama, and romance. I've never had a movie catch my attention throughout the whole 2 hour runtime. This is probably the most original movie i've seen in a while and that's weird for summer blockbusters.

Also I think I fell in love with Emily Blunt. At first I was like, this chick is kinda weird looking. But she just got hotter and hotter throughout the movie.

tumblr_o0o416I9NA1uze870o1_500.gif

I made it real quick

<Goldie11>

Sick shoop skills bro.

Halloween 2018

5/10

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Rubbish. Absolutely loved the first three, JW wasn't great but it'd been so long since we'd had a new one, I enjoyed it for a the nonsensical spectacle it was. This one is just downright...….boring. It's just dull. The Indoraptor was kind of cool but I'm just numb to these films now I think, the wow factor of seeing JP1 as a kid is long gone. The plot of this movie was weak, the characters boring and the action wasn't great. So this super-dino, genetically modified to be the biggest killing machine alive, gets given a really tough run for its money by one tiny velociraptor on its own? Yeah, nice one.
4/10

Ghost Stories

The British film with Martin Freeman, Paul Whitehouse. I went in blind actually, wasn't sure what it was about other than the obvious title. I actually enjoyed it, it was something a bit different. None of the ghost stories themselves were remotely creepy to be honest though.
6/10

The predator

One of the worst movies I've seen at the theatre (and not only), absolute rubbish.
They made predator become basically an unfunny comedy with some gore.
3 points for a couple of mildly funny moments and said gore.
3/10

MV5BMjI5NzY1MTU0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDQ3NDA0NjM@._V1_SY1000_SX675_AL_.jpg

Elle Fanning probably has elbows that are too sharp for most of you studmen. But she does it for me.
Solid movie too.

Apostle

Fairly paint by numbers "evil cult" flick, with a bit of a supernatural twist. It was okay. Its well made, but nothing you haven't seen before. Acting was mostly strong, with Micheal Sheen putting in a particularly notable performance. Other than that though, meh. Its watchable. I think its biggest problem was it's lead protagonist, who has the emotional range of a turnip. He's angry and brooding the whole movie, which makes him hard to care for. Its not a bad performance, as I believe it was a creative decision to portray him that way, but he's just not very relatable and in turn, its hard to root for him.

Some decent imagery, and horror elements, but all in all, it just feels like another cult flick in a long line of cult flicks, that have tried to capture the same mood as the original "Wicker Man". Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it just goes through the motions and becomes a competent yet completely forgettable venture into the sub-genre like this flick.

6/10

Edge of Tomorrow - 10/10

I couldn't wrap my head around the premise when the trailers for this movie first came out, but everything about it worked. The mix of action, scifi, comedy, drama, and romance. I've never had a movie catch my attention throughout the whole 2 hour runtime. This is probably the most original movie i've seen in a while and that's weird for summer blockbusters.

Also I think I fell in love with Emily Blunt. At first I was like, this chick is kinda weird looking. But she just got hotter and hotter throughout the movie.

tumblr_o0o416I9NA1uze870o1_500.gif

Sick shoop skills bro.

That movie did poorly at the box office, which I think was due to a combination of poor marketing and Tom Cruise's weird ass Scientology shit. It was actually a great movie.

Last edited:
That movie did poorly at the box office, which I think was due to a combination of poor marketing and Tom Cruise's weird ass Scientology shit. It was actually a great move.

I completely understand why. I really had no interest in this movie when it came out because of the trailers. Difficult movie premise to market.

That movie did poorly at the box office, which I think was due to a combination of poor marketing and Tom Cruise's weird ass Scientology shit. It was actually a great move.
It made nearly 400 million dollars and has a sequel on the way.
Would not exactly call that poor at the box office,

It made nearly 400 million dollars and has a sequel on the way.
Would not exactly call that poor at the box office,

Well, you have to understand the overhead costs of a film like this in order to understand my meaning. Wikipedia shows you the film's production costs, but it doesn't show you the films's marketing costs. Edge of Tomorrow didn't meet box office expectations because of the combined production and marketing costs (much like the Ghostbusters reboot).

The sequel is not yet a lock.

Last edited:
First Man- 9/10- definitely one of the best films I've seen in 2018.

Venom- 6.5/10- it's an entertaining movie that never quite reaches the heights you'd hope it would but does more justice to the character than Spidey 3 for sure.

Old School (2003)

Old_s_poster.jpg

I had not watched this movie in several years. Still funny as shit. Classic Will Ferrell. One of his very best films.

9/10 - "A"

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

800px-NOLD_poster_1260_v2.jpg

This film was the first in the modern zombie horror sub genre. It was also probably the best of it's kind and one of the very best horror films ever made (from a substance standpoint). It is obviously a little dated, but it was truly groundbreaking stuff for an independent film made in the 1960's. It's not your average horror film because it has some unexpectedly good performances by previously unknown actors.

8.5/10 - "B +"

I completely understand why. I really had no interest in this movie when it came out because of the trailers. Difficult movie premise to market.

It’s Groundhog Day, meets Starship Troopers.

Boom. Marketed.

Hire me Hollywood

Last 2 movies I've seen were "A star is born" and "Bad times at El Royale".
I had zero info on "A star is born" and it was entertaining. Bradley Cooper plays a really believable alcoholic. The movie could have been shorter some 20 minutes, and the outcome was far too obvious, but it was overall good. Gaga is a better actress than I would have thought.
"Bad times at El Royale" was really good. I liked the acting, there were some weaker parts but I liked the movie. strong characters, it is no Pulp Fiction but given what shite usually comes out of hollywood studios nowadays it is really good.

Halloween -- 6.5/10. Just felt off and and scattered as a film.

And the ending . . .
the daughter holding the knife means she'll become the next kiler?

Teen Wolf (1985)

Teen_Wolf.jpg

I had not seen this move since childhood. It is still an extremely fun movie with a relevant message about being yourself. Loved hearing those 80's tunes I have not heard in years too.

9/10 - "A"

Teen Wolf Too (1987)

Teen_wolf_too.jpg

A totally unnecessary rehash of the original. I remember thinking this when I originally saw it as a child, but remembered nothing else. Not a very memorable movie. The actor they cast as "Stiles" (the "buddy" from the original) was all wrong. It was clear that they wrote this movie with the intention of using Michael J. Fox's character in the original, but Fox clearly had much better things going on.

4/10 - "D"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back