Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Quick reviews

Dark city - was surprisingly good I enjoyed the atmosphere. Cool plot and setting the mash up of scifi and noir was unique and worked well.
Final score 8.25/10

Incendies - decent movie with a great ending but its a drag to get there. Incredibly slow paced but still an interesting watch.
Final score 6.5/10

Magnolia - felt very long and I enjoyed most of it but I didn't feel like the stories connected in a way that satisfied me at the end. Tom cruise was the best part
Final score 6.5/10

Extraction - fun action movie. Nothing groundbreaking but Hemsworth does a good job and the action and plot are fun and well done.
Final score 7.5/10

Place beyond the pines - great cast and a pretty gripping movie. Wasnt expecting the major change in the plot halfway through but I enjoyed how the chain reaction of events plays out. Although some things were a little too conveniently connected.
Final score 8/10

My biggest issue with Place Beyond the Pines (which I overall would still consider a quite good film) is

when Gosling exits, the film loses a lot of its energy and momentum. The first segment with him, Eva Mendes, Ben Mendelsohn, and Mahershala is just far better, in my view, to the Cooper crooked cops segment, and the segment with the two teens at the end.

The Cooper/Liotta segment just feels redundant to me. And while I think Dane Dehaan and Emory Cohen are both quality actors, a lot of their segment just didn't resonate with me.

Gosling kills it in his segment though.

My biggest issue with Place Beyond the Pines (which I overall would still consider a quite good film) is

when Gosling exits, the film loses a lot of its energy and momentum. The first segment with him, Eva Mendes, Ben Mendelsohn, and Mahershala is just far better, in my view, to the Cooper crooked cops segment, and the segment with the two teens at the end.

The Cooper/Liotta segment just feels redundant to me. And while I think Dane Dehaan and Emory Cohen are both quality actors, a lot of their segment just didn't resonate with me.

Gosling kills it in his segment though.

Yeah it was a little out of left field and I'd of rathered they stuck with gosling throughout. I enjoyed coopers half but I didnt find myself rooting for him as much as I was gosling.

Judge Dredd:
Strong Cast ✓
Comic Relief ✓
Good Visuals ✓

Sylvester Stallone is Judge Dredd, Diane Lane is Judge Hershey, Rob Schneider fills in nicely with the one-liners. A person will like this movie if they are into comic book movie adaptions. Revered officer Dredd is framed and then tried for a crime he did not commit. The plot is very basic yet it works.

F28_VF.gif

Judge-Dredd-combo1.jpg

Snake Eyes:
Originality ✓
Strong Antagonist/Villian ✓
Good Visuals ✓

The mystery behind the "who done it" was revealed early on about 1/3 the way through the movie. Everything was pretty straight forward and unambiguous as long as a person was paying attention. I liked the movie but I did not find it to be a complex puzzle. The film set visuals and aesthetics were its strong points. Snake Eyes drew $103 million at the box office.

SnakeEyesPoster.jpg

Snake-Eyes-2.jpg

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - 4/10

Very overrated. The GF didn't look that great and was flatchested. At multiple points watching on Showtime on Demand, seemed like the movie jumped forward as if chunks were skipped over.

I watched the latest Scream movie and didn't hate it. Those original mofos are OLD! Nev Campbell could still get it though. It addressed a lot of issues with the franchise in a funny way like sequels requels and overplaying the jump scare.

7.5/10

Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood - 7.5/10

Lucky enough to be attending sxsw all week and got to catch this movie today. Really fun and unique flick from Richard Linklater. Super clever dialogue, laughed more than I have at any recent comedy.

Compliance

7/10

[Amazon Prime]

An extraordinary day in a fast food restaurant.

This is a film thats best watched without much of a look into the plot because its an unbelievable story if you dont already know about it (i almost felt like turning it off as it was getting so ridiculous, but its definitely worth a watch)

The Batman-8/10. I stand corrected. Decent Batman, bad Wayne. Very good movie.
The Suicide Squad-5/10. Utter garbage. Do not even know why they made it...Robbie and Idris are decent.
Latest Scream-6/10. Nothing new. Last money grab. Better than some of the later sequels.

Here's all the movies I saw at SXSW

Sissy (2022) - 7.5/10

An Australian Comedy/Slasher about a mentally unstable social media influencer who goes to her childhood best friends bachelorette weekend away. I had no idea what to expect from this one, but was EXTREMELY pleasantly surprised. First 45 mins is really funny and does a great job of setting up the latter half of the movie. Once things get going it's a non stop gorefest with some of the best kill scenes I've seen in a while. Loved this movie.

Deadstream (2022) - 6.5/10

A found footage flick about a cancelled youtuber who tries to win back his fans by live streaming him spending the night at a haunted house. This was such a fun movie, the main character crushes it at portraying one of those annoying youtube guys. Definitely a big stand out in the found footage genre, it doesn't really pull any punches and has no problem showing all the ghosts/monsters, which is good and bad because some of the special effect were not very good. Still a solid flick, kind of like a found footage Evil Dead just with not nearly as good effects.

Watcher (2022) - 6/10

Not a whole lot to say about this one, real slow burn paranoia type horror with a Hitchcock/Polanski vibe, I liked it.

The Cellar (2022) - 6/10

An above average haunted house movie, drags a bit but then makes up for it with a fun ending.

A Lot Of Nothing (2022) - 5/10

A black couple takes their neighbor hostage after learning that he shot an unarmed teenage while on duty as a police officer. I loved the premise of this movie, but the execution was not the best. Lots of dialogue that just draws on for too long and too many unnecessary elements thrown into the storyline. Had glimpses of a great film, but overall kind of just felt like an amateur level stage play.

Killing of a sacred deer

meh, not great, felt a little bare but I get why

all in all too fatalistic and artsy for me

Triangle - I enjoyed it. Felt similar to other sci fi movies thay deal with time and such as
coherence and primer
but I thought it was pretty fun and did it's own thing with it. 7/10

Knight and Day - better than i expected. It's pretty silly in a good way and Cruise and Cameron are good in it. Not a bad action comedy throughout but fades a little toward the end. 7.5/10

Dunkirk - meh. I can see why this is a very well made movie. it has some beautiful shots and the Nolan epic feel. Liked the performances and all but the pacing was really bad and I didn't feel much at the end. Was kinda bored. - 6.4/10

The wave - interesting premise and a fun movie. But it kinda gets a little too ridiculous at the end. Still would recommend for some trippy fun. 7/10

Frozen Ground - really thought it was done very well. Good pacing, good characters, and a satisfying conclusion. Based on a true story too. Theres only one part that I feel was edited very poorly but overall as a mystery/detective thriller it is solid 8/10

the batman: ?/10

got blackout drunk, vague memories. I apologize to others in theatre for getting up to use restroom multiple times. Would watch again.

Showed BONE TOMAHAWK (2015) to another friend last night. Goddamn is that a great fuckin movie. So incredibly well made, for such a shoestring budget. And how the hell is that someone's first film. One of the best directorial debuts ever. Everyone's so damn great in it too. Just an absolute joy to watch. Well, and a horror, of course. Modern classic.

Death on the Nile - 7.5/10. I liked it. Kept my attention and Gal <{1-7}><{1-12}>

Studio 666 - Foo fighters movie. 7/10. I actually didn't mind it. Pretty damn gory. Whitney Cumming is hot. It reminded me of cornball 80s movies. In fact it reminded of the movie Trick or Treat so much that. rewatched it (first time since the 80s).

Trick or Treat (1996) - 6.5/10. Corny as hell but it's an 80s movie so that is a given. Many plot holes and WTF moments but I liked it.

Cursed - 7/10. Newer werewolf movie. Some good scares. Overall a good movie that kept my interest.

X - 4/10. Started off good and then went downhill around the midway mark and there are some things that cannot be unseen (If you've seen it you'll know). Jenna Ortega is fucking hot (wish she did nudity like the other 2 gals).

Antlers (2021)
Decent enough little horror movie produced (I think) by Guilermo del Toro. Set in small town Oregon, Todd from Breaking Bad is in it - basically about the wendigo. I quite liked the pacing, and really liked the monster when you eventually see it. Worth a go.
7/10

Finch (2021)

In a nuclear fallout / post-apocalyptic version of America, Tom Hanks is a clean-up operative living with his dog and dying from radiation poisoning. He tinkers with this drone robot type piece of gear and turns it into something more humanoid, in order for his dog to have a carer when he dies. It basically becomes a melancholy roadtrip movie as they head for California, with Hanks trying to train up the robot along the way. Not bad, not good.
5/10

Mainstream on Showtime (0 out of 10)

Starring the Spider-Man actor. About some loser who becomes an internet youtube superstar. Description said nudity, but I guess it was only him in g-string with strap on running around in the crowded street. Also stars Uma's daughter.

My Cousin Vinnie

Finally got around to watching this. Peci was a little stiff. Still, fun movie. Great little piece. Karate Kid didn’t get to use his Karate once but otherwise I wasn’t disappointed.

8/10

My Cousin Vinny

Finally got around to watching this. Peci was a little stiff. Still, fun movie. Great little piece. Karate Kid didn’t get to use his Karate once but otherwise I wasn’t disappointed.

8/10
Would have been better if Marisa did some full frontal nudity.

Back