Rashad was absolutely right about Jon

winkydinks

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For those that didn't watch Rashad's recent discussion with Rogan, I'll try to paraphrase what I thought was an extremely accurate point he made about Jon's past two performances.

Essentially he said that the biggest difference between 32 yo Jon and 25 yo Jon is how his mentality has changed from one that was offensive to one that's currently defensive. Back then, Jon didn't give af. Still way behind GSP and Silva in the goat conversation, he wasn't afraid of losing, and subsequently felt free to fully utilize his amazing skill set. Utter domination was the result. In the past eleven months, what we've seen is a guy who has realized his octagon mortality, and facing two power punchers, has been much more weary. Ironically, with the exception of Gus 1, this newfound weariness has brought Jon closer to defeat than he has ever been. On the contrary, we saw versions of Santos and Reyes whose mindsets were more akin to that of a younger Jon than current Jon's was. Both were hungry, had nothing to lose, weren't expected to win, and didn't give af as a result. This, combined with their power punching styles, allowed them to take advantage of Jon's weariness nearly to the point of unseating him.

I don't think Jon is any less skilled than he once was. When Jon realized he needed big 4th and 5th roundss on Saturday to retain his belt, the weariness served him zero purpose, and he was therefore able to come into his own and edge Reyes. We also saw enough defensive brilliance early on to make me think that unseating him will still remain one of, if not the most, formidable tasks in the UFC. We also saw him not be weary in recent times, with those instances being his fights with Smith and Gus. In them, Jon was as dominant as he has ever been.

You don't see a fighter really fall off the cliff in the span of months. I think he can continue his reign for a long time if he can recapture his former mindset. Otherwise, I think he'll be unseated sooner rather than later, and a move to HW could yield disastrous results.

When he was 25 USADA wasn't there. Now he's only allowed picograms and not kilograms of PEDs.

I don't agree with this, you still can't let Jones breathe for even a couple of seconds. If you do that he jumps right back at you with pressure and kicks and jabs. You must pressure him constantly to score points, Jones is not good when he is being pressured.

He makes some good points. I still think Jones is past his prime though and I’ve felt that way for a while.

Jones is definitely a naturally great fighter but back then he had a boost from PEDs that helped him getting into the next level and now he only has his natural ability and skill-set at his disposal.

Wary: feeling or showing caution about possible dangers or problem.

Weary: feeling or showing tiredness, especially as a result of excessive exertion or lack of sleep

Otherwise, an interesting take from Shad.

Jones v Reyes... Great fight.

Wary: feeling or showing caution about possible dangers or problem.

Weary: feeling or showing tiredness, especially as a result of excessive exertion or lack of sleep

Otherwise, an interesting take from Shad.

Jones v Reyes... Great fight.

beat me to it

Jones is definitely a naturally great fighter but back then he had a boost from PEDs that helped him getting into the next level and now he only has his natural ability and skill-set at his disposal.

So he's not allowed to pulse anymore?

That's been the general conscensus though, through out the past couple of years.

For those that didn't watch Rashad's recent discussion with Rogan, I'll try to paraphrase what I thought was an extremely accurate point he made about Jon's past two performances.

Essentially he said that the biggest difference between 32 yo Jon and 25 yo Jon is how his mentality has changed from one that was offensive to one that's currently defensive. Back then, Jon didn't give af. Still way behind GSP and Silva in the goat conversation, he wasn't afraid of losing, and subsequently felt free to fully utilize his amazing skill set. Utter domination was the result. In the past eleven months, what we've seen is a guy who has realized his octagon mortality, and facing two power punchers, has been much more weary. Ironically, with the exception of Gus 1, this newfound weariness has brought Jon closer to defeat than he has ever been. On the contrary, we saw versions of Santos and Reyes whose mindsets were more akin to that of a younger Jon than current Jon's was. Both were hungry, had nothing to lose, weren't expected to win, and didn't give af as a result. This, combined with their power punching styles, allowed them to take advantage of Jon's weariness nearly to the point of unseating him.

I don't think Jon is any less skilled than he once was. When Jon realized he needed big 4th and 5th roundss on Saturday to retain his belt, the weariness served him zero purpose, and he was therefore able to come into his own and edge Reyes. We also saw enough defensive brilliance early on to make me think that unseating him will still remain one of, if not the most, formidable tasks in the UFC. We also saw him not be weary in recent times, with those instances being his fights with Smith and Gus. In them, Jon was as dominant as he has ever been.

You don't see a fighter really fall off the cliff in the span of months. I think he can continue his reign for a long time if he can recapture his former mindset. Otherwise, I think he'll be unseated sooner rather than later, and a move to HW could yield disastrous results.

You do if they are Performance Enhancing Drugs and then have to get off.

I think the biggest difference is him facing good offensive boxers with whom he either chooses to stand up or struggles to take down. Big and strong guys, too. Looked very mortal in the first Gus fight, which was supposedly a more offensive version of him.

I found the interview with Ariel interesting. He has this strange demeanor and was constantly shifting back and forth between a happy face and scowling at Ariel. It made me wonder if mentally he might be going through something. It just didn't feel normal.

I agree with the offensive/defensive mindset changes. The rest not so much. It's not being "weary", it's being smart against good offense. "Weariness" implies there's a lack of desire or motivation, or fatigue. Neither apply here IMO.

Jones is still controlling the fights, albeit not by as wide of a margin. He still has the ability to go into that high-risk, high-reward mode and probably better now than he ever could due to his experience. But it's just that, it's high-risk. His fight IQ and composure keep that shit stored up for when he really needs it.

I'm not a fan of Jones, but even a hater has to recognize the dominance and consistency. He's still killing these killers.

I think the biggest difference is him facing good offensive boxers with whom he either chooses to stand up or struggles to take down. Big and strong guys, too. Looked very mortal in the first Gus fight, which was supposedly a more offensive version of him.
I said with the exception of the Gus fight, which I mainly attribute to his lack of preparation.

I said with the exception of the Gus fight, which I mainly attribute to his lack of preparation.
I don't. Big guys with good offensive boxing give Jones the hardest time. The Gus fight goes along with it, more so than his mindset changing.

Hasn’t been the same since after the second DC fight. The victory over Gus looked dominant because Gus hurt his leg

I don't. Big guys with good offensive boxing give Jones the hardest time. The Gus fight goes along with it, more so than his mindset changing.
Probably something to that

Very, very good post. It has been very difficult to praise posts like that lately, so congrats.

I think it's both this AND what Rashad said. Also what Chael Sonnen mentioned about Jon's wrestling declining.

Back